Default How 'The Amazing Spider-Man' Led to the Creation of the Prisoner Ankle Monitor

Court-ordered ankle monitors bring in hundreds of millions of dollars in the U.S. every year. Law enforcement uses the devices to monitor more than a hundred thousand people every day, a number that’s expanding rapidly. They play a key role in American criminal justice. For such a crucial technology, though, they began in an unlikely place: a lowly Spider-Man newspaper comic from the 1970s.

The Amazing Spider-Man comic by Stan Lee and John Romia ran in newspapers across the country throughout the late 1970s. One storyline that lasted from August of 1977 into September featured the evil Kingpin, who attaches a tracking device to Spider-Man. You can blame Spider-Man for planting the seed in a judge’s mind.

Judge Love was himself the first person to wear the Goss-Link as an experiment, putting the ankle monitor on his own leg to see how it operated. A newspaper article syndicated by UPI in 1983 quotes the judge about the experience.

“It put me on a very, very short leash,” Love said at the time, even claiming that he wore the device in the shower.
    https://gizmodo.com/spider-man-s-pri...lee-1849346834

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Ah, this would be one of the more interesting examples of Spider-Man inspiring people in real life, even if it would be somewhat more controversial these days due to issues that have been raised concerning Spider-Man's tendency towards acting as an adjunct to law enforcement.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Ah, this would be one of the more interesting examples of Spider-Man inspiring people in real life, even if it would be somewhat more controversial these days due to issues that have been raised concerning Spider-Man's tendency towards acting as an adjunct to law enforcement.
    If there’s anything I’ve learned from Danganronpa V3, it’s that people more like talking about the themes of a story than actually acting on them, so I’m not surprised that this is controversial.

Lowly? LOWLY?!?

Spectacular Member

You're telling me Spider-Man is indirectly responsible for Project Lifesaver?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    If there’s anything I’ve learned from Danganronpa V3, it’s that people more like talking about the themes of a story than actually acting on them, so I’m not surprised that this is controversial.
    Nice reference there.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Lowly? LOWLY?!?
    He's not lowly, he's amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    You're telling me Spider-Man is indirectly responsible for Project Lifesaver?
    Uh-huh.
    The spider is always on the hunt.