Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default X-Men Legends #1 Spoilers

The first issue of X-Men Legends has been released and it was a smooth fun ride back to 1970s storytelling WHICH is very refreshing. Roy Thomas takes his co-creation Wolverine back to HULK #181 and #182 and the events that happen after. Department H sends Wolvie to get more mutants and he has to reluctantly team up with another long-forgotten Roy co-creation, the Living Diamond. Of course, it ends in a big cliff-hanger and the next issue will reveal a long-awaited secret of Wolverine's costume (which I'm excited about) and leads us straight into GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1.

Overall, this issue has some great dialogue, art and action that reminds me of something I would get from the back issue bin. It's an absolutely pure, solid superhero story that everyone of all ages will enjoy. Forget all the propaganda and politics we constantly fight over today; WE NEED MORE COMICS LIKE THIS THAT JUST PURELY ENTERTAIN US!!!

5 out of 5 stars!

1.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Probert; 08-10-2022 at 11:15 AM.

Wish I walked away as excited as you were by this. Felt like a silly filler story to me. This Jack of Diamonds guy was goofy, and I didn't really care about anything that happened. Art was decent, though. Nothing amazing, but solid.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Is that Lorelei at the end in a new outfit? I live.

You lost me at "Forget all the propaganda and politics". Comics have always been political.

Extraordinary Member

When Thomas was editor-in-chief of Marvel (which is the period when this story is set) his writers were doing preachy politics all the time about anything they read in the newspaper last week.

Spectacular Member

But I'm talking about THIS comic story!! Not a bunch of stories from the past! THIS story was a fun read without anything but action and fun. The next issue will reveal something big from Wolverine co-creator Roy Thomas which might make it a future spec issue especially when Wolverine returns to the MCU. I'm on board with this with this 2-parter as I don't plan on getting issue #3.

Agree with Bob, this was fun and I will read issue #2. I was off the X-Men by the time Mojo and Longshot came around so no #3 for me.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Politics was all over the comics of the 70s. Most of it from what would have been then a center left vantage point, but there were center right ideas as well. Though it tended to be fairly respectful of political differences and only on occasion bludgeoned the audience with the message if for instance Nazis or Commies were involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Is that Lorelei at the end in a new outfit? I live.
    It was an outfit Lorna wore in Captain America 174 when she was being mind controlled along with others. I am pretty sure the writer is interlinking that story with this story. I have always felt mind control was a pretty cheap plot device that I was never a fan of as it allows characters to fight without having to deal with the fallout.

Last edited by jmc247; 08-14-2022 at 04:14 PM.

Dang, that outfit is basic as hell for Polaris.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    Politics was all over the comics of the 70s. Most of it from what would have been then a center left vantage point, but there were center right ideas as well. Though it tended to be fairly respectful of political differences and only on occasion bludgeoned the audience with the message if for instance Nazis or Commies were involved.

It was an outfit Lorna wore in Captain America 174 when she was being mind controlled along with others. I am pretty sure the writer is interlinking that story with this story. I have always felt mind control was a pretty cheap plot device that I was never a fan of as it allows characters to fight without having to deal with the fallout.

Captain America 174 is a BIG part of this 2-parter. I can't wait for issue #2!!

BANNED

Yeah, I'm not feeling this...

Thomas' dialogue felt a little stiff to me but I still enjoyed this issue.

I am not on board with the current Krakoa era, so having an X-Men comic away from that is nice.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Probert View Post
    But I'm talking about THIS comic story!! Not a bunch of stories from the past! THIS story was a fun read without anything but action and fun. The next issue will reveal something big from Wolverine co-creator Roy Thomas which might make it a future spec issue especially when Wolverine returns to the MCU. I'm on board with this with this 2-parter as I don't plan on getting issue #3.

Wolverine has never been in the MCU, lol

Spectacular Member

Also hopefully they explained why Longshot has 5 fingers on the cover
    Last edited by Dcnewb; 08-16-2022 at 11:37 PM.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So who besides Hulk and Logan appeared?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================