Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Nice pages there, Iron Maiden. I love that GN, it's one of my favorite Dr. Strange stories.

I only have 1 page of original art (a page from the 90s Hawkman series signed by inker Andrew Pepoy that I got on ebay more than 20 years ago before original art prices started spiraling upwards.

I don't live very far from the Billy Ireland Museum of Cartoon Art on the campus of Ohio State, and they ahve a huge original art collection. I keep wanting to go take one of the tours through and browse their collection, but I haven't made the time to yet.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Thats a great collection IM. I loved looking at them. Thanks for sharing them.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Nice pages there, Iron Maiden. I love that GN, it's one of my favorite Dr. Strange stories.

I only have 1 page of original art (a page from the 90s Hawkman series signed by inker Andrew Pepoy that I got on ebay more than 20 years ago before original art prices started spiraling upwards.

I don't live very far from the Billy Ireland Museum of Cartoon Art on the campus of Ohio State, and they ahve a huge original art collection. I keep wanting to go take one of the tours through and browse their collection, but I haven't made the time to yet.

-M
    I wasn't aware of that museum. I may have to check that one if I get a chance to make the drive.

Like you, my purchases were made a while back. Unbelievably, those pages from the Triumph & Torment GN cost about $200. The page the I bought directly from Mark Morales from the Children's Crusade was higher...IIRC $400 or $500. Jim Cheung was offering a cover from the Children's Crusade #7 for $700 IIRC but I had already hit my limit. I wish I could have gotten them both!

This is the cover I could have had....

Nice cover, it's the worst feeling in the world finding something you would have snapped up but already meeting your budget and knowing you will not have the opportunity to get it ever again.

Here's a snapshot of Bone creator Jeff Smith (who is local to the Billy Ireland Museum and one of its benefactors) examining several pages of original art from their archive (pages by Neal Adams, Steve Ditko and Joe Kubert).

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

That is amazing...Those have to to be silver age pages. I saw some on display once at a booth at one of the early C2E2's I went to and I recall seeing a Super-Villain Team up page there that was quite large like these. The pages in my photos are not this large.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    That is amazing...Those have to to be silver age pages. I saw some on display once at a booth at one of the early C2E2's I went to and I recall seeing a Super-Villain Team up page there that was quite large like these. The pages in my photos are not this large.
    The Adams pages are from Green Lantern #76 (April 70 cover date so probably done late '69/early '70)

The Kubert page is Our Army at War 206 (cover dated May '69).

Not sure on the Ditko page as I can't see the full top of the page. If I had to guess I would say it's a Charlton page, likely one of the horror books, but I can't see enough of the page to be certain.

-M

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    The Adams pages are from Green Lantern #76 (April 70 cover date so probably done late '69/early '70)

The Kubert page is Our Army at War 206 (cover dated May '69).

Not sure on the Ditko page as I can't see the full top of the page. If I had to guess I would say it's a Charlton page, likely one of the horror books, but I can't see enough of the page to be certain.

-M
    I'm almost certain that's a THUNDER Agents page (from Tower), which puts it at 1966 or 67, the years Ditko worked on the book.

I think you are right. I wish I had kept those comics. I like the THUNDER agents. In fact, my posting name here refers to the character Iron Maiden from that series. Most people think I am referencing the band! One of these days I change my Avatar back to my old one.

Thunder Agents #7, page 5.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Man, to this day I'll never put on a helmet unless I know exactly where its been and what it does.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    I'm almost certain that's a THUNDER Agents page (from Tower), which puts it at 1966 or 67, the years Ditko worked on the book.
    Good call.

-M