Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

I voted for wbe, but that Ordway art Stony posted was awesome.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Great Job Stony. Great cover
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Congrats to stony.

And thanks to MRP and Scott for the votes. I'm really happy to have that one in my collection.

This was a great ideas for a cover contest. Sadly I had to sit out as I do not have a drawn comic and had no idea what to look for on Google.

It was great seeing all the covers and this was a fun week
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations Stony

And thanks to babyblob and CaptCleghorn for your votes!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This was a great ideas for a cover contest. Sadly I had to sit out as I do not have a drawn comic and had no idea what to look for on Google.

It was great seeing all the covers and this was a fun week
    Sometimes there is an art to putting just the write phrase or terms in a Google search. I find that the more specific you are the better luck you have. Typing in "comic book sketch covers" should get you quite a few hits.

I just happen to live close to Chicago and have been lucky enough to have met artists & writers in person at the annual C2E2 convention. I even got Mike Mignola's autograph on my copy of Triumph and Torment, the cover I used in the previous contest. I always regretted trying to get Neal Adams to sign something at his booth when he was at the Chicago con in 2019. I didn't have anything with me for him to sign but I should have bought something from his display. Oh well.

Here are a few more sketch covers form my collection...

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

And three more...

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

and more...

-M

The last two I have, I don't have great pics of alone, they are Micronauts covers and mixed in with my display of Micronauts toys.

One of Acoyear...

and one of Biotron...

I have a stack more of blank covers waiting to get sketches on them, but the budget been tight the last year so I haven't had any new ones done since the Action #1000 jam cover.

-M

What a great collection! I don't have many of sketch covers but I have bought some comic book pages over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    What a great collection! I don't have many of sketch covers but I have bought some comic book pages over the years.
    I have some pages and sketches that aren't on covers as well, plus a tone of sketch cards (you can see a Karza one next to the Acroyear cover) essentially trading card sized original sketches by artists.

Here's 4 of them, Ookla the Mok by local artist Adam Fields and the other three (Schoolhouse Rock, Count Chocula and the Phantom Cruiser form Space Ghost) by long-time Arche creator (who is also local Craig Boldman)

One addendum, the Action #1000 cover has a blank back as well, and I started having more added to it, but the only one completed was a Krypto from one of the local artists who worked on the Paw Patrol animated...

I hope to fill in the rest of the back cover on that ne when budget allows.

I have long strived to make my collection unique and reflective of my personal tastes so it is a reflection of me. Keys are great, except just above every major collection is going to have that key and it becomes generic not a reflection of the collector. Unique art pieces, signed books, etc. are better able to personalize a collection imho.

-M

You have a wide variety things there. My art collection is a bit small but I like the pieces I was able to get...

A page from the Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo Fantastic Four run...signed by long time Marvel inker Karl Kesel

A page from the 'Nuff Said issue of Fantastic Four, art by Tom Grummet, who signed the bottom. I got it from his agent on eBay at the time. He signed it "to an honorary Latverian" !

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2022 at 03:39 PM.

I also have a page from the mini series Avengers: The Children's Crusade that I bought from the inker Mark Morales at C2E2 one year. The artist Jim Cheung was also there and he kindly agreed to sign it too! His signature is very small (left bottom corner)

The biggest part of my collection is about 16 pages from the graphic novel Doctor Strange/Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment. I got them from ebay from a seller with one of those alias names. I took them with me too C2 E2 one year when the artist Mike Mignola was there. He explained that this was done using an old process. The inks were done on a transparency by Mark Badger. Then the color elements were done on the usual grade of artists paper. Then you had to put the inks on top of the colors to get the whole effect.

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-17-2022 at 06:35 PM.

..... so here is how the page looks in the book. Of course I used the cover the contest where I lost the tiebreaker!

I layed the transparency on top of the page with just the colors to get the completed page. One day I have to finish taking pictures of all the pages I have from the book. Someone else has the rest I guess!

Congratulations, Stony and thank you for the vote!
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred