Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    BANNED

It's a myth that MJ got 'focused on' less, given she was all over the franchise in other comic continuities post-OMD where her relationship with Peter went uninterrupted and only grew stronger.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 08-22-2022 at 02:26 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    It's a myth that MJ got 'focused on' less, given she was all over the franchise in other comic continuities post-OMD where her relationship with Peter went uninterrupted and only grew stronger.
    Nah in fact once it ended Spidey spent most of his time being more independant and self reliant in being more social with other character instead of being co dependant on MJ and Aunt May. Spidey hangs out with Deadpool now. Thats awesome. I dont think that would have happened in the pre marriage era.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    Nah in fact once it ended Spidey spent most of his time being more independant and self reliant in being more social with other character instead of being co dependant on MJ and Aunt May. Spidey hangs out with Deadpool now. Thats awesome. I dont think that would have happened in the pre marriage era.
    When Peter and MJ got married he was still hanging out with other people lol. Friends from the Daily Bugle, Flash and Felicia, Harry and Liz, other superheroes and more. They only disappeared in Straczynski's run, but it was very cool because Straczynski developed Peter, Mary Jane and Aunt May. But there were other characters as well. They then moved to Avengers Tower. The Parker family were also friends with the Fantastic Four.
    At the beginning of BND, Peter lived with Aunt May again. He also had terrible relationships with girls, friends, colleagues. I don't understand why you think that friendship with Deadpool was impossible during marriage lol.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    When Peter and MJ got married he was still hanging out with other people lol. Friends from the Daily Bugle, Flash and Felicia, Harry and Liz, other superheroes and more. They only disappeared in Straczynski's run, but it was very cool because Straczynski developed Peter, Mary Jane and Aunt May. But there were other characters as well. They then moved to Avengers Tower. The Parker family were also friends with the Fantastic Four.
    At the beginning of BND, Peter lived with Aunt May again. He also had terrible relationships with girls, friends, colleagues. I don't understand why you think that friendship with Deadpool was impossible during marriage lol.
    If anything, it could have made Peter even more "relatable," as almost everyone who's been in a romantic relationship has had that one friend who got on their significant other's nerves for whatever reason. Or, flipping the script, MJ could have been the one who looked more positively on Wade and Peter would have been the one constantly aggravated by Wade's antics, though trying his best not to let it get to him for MJ's sake.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodj View Post
    That's all on the writers, not on either status quo.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    If anything, it could have made Peter even more "relatable," as almost everyone who's been in a romantic relationship has had that one friend who got on their significant other's nerves for whatever reason. Or, flipping the script, MJ could have been the one who looked more positively on Wade and Peter would have been the one constantly aggravated by Wade's antics, though trying his best not to let it get to him for MJ's sake.
    Plus, we had that great dynamic between MJ and Felicia and later MJ/Felicia/Aunt May that was lost post-OMD.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-22-2022 at 09:40 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    That's all on the writers, not on either status quo.
    Agreed, there is no reason a married or dating Spidey could not hang out with his friends in an identical or very similar fashion. This is a strawman argument if I ever saw one. It reminds me of someone insisting such and such a character cannot be race-swapped or gender-swapped when doing so has zero effect on their key character traits or important story elements.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-22-2022 at 09:39 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

One unspoken crime of OMD is that it robbed teachers of representation and teens of a good adult mentor figure. That second part is ironic, since OMD/BND was made with young people in mind (supposedly).

I read the JMS run for the first time in the late 2010's, and surprisingly all the social commentary still held up. Besides some obvious stuff like dated cell phones, nothing significant has changed in 20 years.

If anything, all the societal problems Peter encountered as a teacher have all gotten worse. I would trade all the high concept stuff like Horizon Labs and Parker Industries to see how the pre-OMD status quo would have responded to incels, to demagogues like Jordan Peterson, or to all the recent attention to how undervalued teachers are in America. Or to many other problems.

Hell, how cool would it have been if 616 Miles was introduced as one of Peter's students?

The possibilities really were endless.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-23-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Plus, we had that great dynamic between MJ and Felicia and later MJ/Felicia/Aunt May that was lost post-OMD.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    One unspoken crime of OMD is that it robbed teachers of representation and teens of a good adult mentor figure. That second part is ironic, since OMD/BND was made with young people in mind (supposedly).

I read the JMS run for the first time in the late 2010's, and surprisingly all the social commentary still held up. Besides some obvious stuff like dated cell phones, nothing significant has changed in 20 years.

If anything, all the societal problems Peter encountered as a teacher have all gotten worse. I would trade all the high concept stuff like Horizon Labs and Parker Industries to see how the pre-OMD status quo would have responded to incels, to demagogues like Jordan Peterson, or to all the recent attention to how undervalued teachers are in America. Or to many other problems.

Hell, how cool would it have been if 616 Miles was introduced as one of Peter's students?

The possibilities really were endless.
    Funny enough, the post-OMD years did have Spider-Man as a guest teacher at Avengers Academy (which Christos Gage, Dan Slott's frequent cowriter and co-plotter was helming at the time) and later at the Jean Grey School following Wolverine/Logan's death (at the time), but you are right that Peter Parker could have been an even better teacher than Spider-Man, as he would have been able to relate to and connect with his students in ways that he couldn't behind the mask of a(n in)famous superhero.

I'd also concur with you that pre-OMD Peter tackling the accelerated growth of pernicious forces in modern society seeking to influence young people and drive them down dark paths in life could have been something to explore. Then there's the issue of bullying being even worse in some ways, thanks to the contemporary Internet and social media enabling bullies to harass, abuse, and threaten their targets almost 24/7 from behind a computer or smartphone screens.

Speaking of societal problems having gotten worse, there's the uncomfortable overlap between teachers and police in the sense that both have specific jobs and functions, but they are saddled with the additional task of cleaning after the symptoms of societal dysfunction that manifest in the schools or on the streets. I could see that causing Peter --- who would still be a teacher as well as a superhero, the latter role often defined as an unlicensed superpowered crimefighter, though more likely to be allied or aligned with police than not --- to reexamine himself and how much good he's really doing in a system like this.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed.

Funny enough, the post-OMD years did have Spider-Man as a guest teacher at Avengers Academy (which Christos Gage, Dan Slott's frequent cowriter and co-plotter was helming at the time) and later at the Jean Grey School following Wolverine/Logan's death (at the time), but you are right that Peter Parker could have been an even better teacher than Spider-Man, as he would have been able to relate to and connect with his students in ways that he couldn't behind the mask of a(n in)famous superhero.

I'd also concur with you that pre-OMD Peter tackling the accelerated growth of pernicious forces in modern society seeking to influence young people and drive them down dark paths in life could have been something to explore. Then there's the issue of bullying being even worse in some ways, thanks to the contemporary Internet and social media enabling bullies to harass, abuse, and threaten their targets almost 24/7 from behind a computer or smartphone screens.

Speaking of societal problems having gotten worse, there's the uncomfortable overlap between teachers and police in the sense that both have specific jobs and functions, but they are saddled with the additional task of cleaning after the symptoms of societal dysfunction that manifest in the schools or on the streets. I could see that causing Peter --- who would still be a teacher as well as a superhero, the latter role often defined as an unlicensed superpowered crimefighter, though more likely to be allied or aligned with police than not --- to reexamine himself and how much good he's really doing in a system like this.
    I don’t know why we bother asking questions when we’re not prepared to accept the answer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I don’t know why we bother asking questions when we’re not prepared to accept the answer.
    "Question everything"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    "Question everything"
    Is that really such a good idea?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Is that really such a good idea?
    Reasonable doubt and critical thinking are bad ideas?

Amazing Member

OMD will always be a stain on the legacy of Peter Parker, but more so on the "brain trust" that came up with this ludicrous idea. Marvel's premiere hero makes a deal with the the devil to preserve the life of his old aunt who should have stayed dead after ASM 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Demoslider View Post
    OMD will always be a stain on the legacy of Peter Parker, but more so on the "brain trust" that came up with this ludicrous idea. Marvel's premiere hero makes a deal with the the devil to preserve the life of his old aunt who should have stayed dead after ASM 400.
    You mean Joe Quesada? Because the Spidey Brain Trust only came in after One More Day.