Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pennyworth

Default Pennyworth

PENNYWORTH Season 3 happing on HBO MAX I really like this show any fans out there?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign...e-date%3famp=1

Niffleheim

"PENNYWORTH" has be re-titled to PENNYWORTH: THE ORIGINS OF BATMAN’S BUTLER
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

I like the show OK, but the name change is so on the nose it's stupid
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

"Pennyworth: The Origins of Batman's butler, Batman's parents, Batman's friend Lucius, various strangers to Batman, we name-drop Gotham every once in awhile and look - we just teased a possible sibling of Batman that you've never heard of - tune in Batfans!!"
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-11-2022 at 09:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I like the show OK, but the name change is so on the nose it's stupid
    So true, as if the audience needed that OR that any potential audience couldn't put that together. A bit insulting even.
    Some suit said, "We need Batman in the title somewhere." Not that the audience needed, the suits needed it cause audiences are stupid about pop culture characters who've been around 80yrs.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    "Pennyworth: The Origins of Batman's butler, Batman's parents, Batman's friend Lucius, various strangers to Batman, we name-drop Gotham every once in awhile and look - we just teased a possible sibling of Batman that you've never heard of - tune in Batfans!!"
    "Same Bat-time, same Bat-channel"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    So true, as if the audience needed that OR that any potential audience couldn't put that together. A bit insulting even.
    Some suit said, "We need Batman in the title somewhere." Not that the audience needed, the suits needed it cause audiences are stupid about pop culture characters who've been around 80yrs.
    Marketing 101. I suppose by putting Batman in the title they are hoping it lures more viewers in hoping there will be more links.

I hate to say it, but they need to wake up and realise people watch Batman related shows for - you guessed it - Batman (or the hope he may show up).

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I don't know that any reasonable person who elected to tune into Pennyworth expects Batman to show up.
    If they do/did then they don't understand the premise. Reasonable for Thomas and Martha to show, sure but not Bruce.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Incredible Member

Who is this show for? It’s not for Batman fans because Batman isn’t in it. I like Alfred but I like him because of his father figure/mentor/friend relationship with Batman. I’m not interested enough in Alfred’s backstory to watch a show about it that doesn’t include Batman somehow.

I haven’t watched the show so I know nothing of it’s quality. I’m just confused as to why it exists. Is the Batman’s future butler angle just a way to get people to watch a show about a British spy?

Gotham was about Gordon. This is about Alfred. Which non superhero supporting cast member is up next?

Even though its Batman ties might as well not be there, I've been enjoying the show. Last season really took a few interesting turns and one character went through a comic booky transformation at the end, which will be interesting. (though I hope they improve his look for the new season, assuming that character returns)

Retired

I haven't got around to watching the second series yet (I have a lot of shows on my wishlist that I haven't got to yet). But the first series was cool. It's sort of like THE AVENGERS (1960s British show) and a few other things of that ilk. It has a nice vibe. It's not really in continuity with anything, but I'm okay with that. It's just an imaginary story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's not really in continuity with anything, but I'm okay with that. It's just an imaginary story.
    You have to look at every single adaptation as such. How can one not?

I think I could literally hear Alan Moore's eyes roll into the back of his head when V for Vendetta showed up. ... (why not? It's DC - pretty clever, actually)

I've been intending to watch this, but keep forgetting to check it out.