Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The False Advertising Thus Far...

It was promoted prior to the launch that everyone was on the outs with Peter Parker and that Otto Octavius was gunning for him as part of a master plan. Once the actual volume gets underway, we find...

1. Aunt May gets over her disappointment in Peter by the end of the first story arc

2. Felicia Hardy never stopped caring about Peter, giving him a rooftop pep talk before later attending his birthday party along with all his other friends.

3. Mary Jane doesn't stay mad at him, as she accepts Peter's apology for how unfairly he's treated her and attempts to tell him how she truly feels before she's interrupted by her controlling boyfriend Paul.

4. As for Otto? Instead of being the central antagonist, he's revealed to have been made a prisoner of the Ultra Living Brain in the first issue and used to power the Sinister Super Adaptoid in ASM#900.

Anything else? Or have we all covered the empty promises of volume six?

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

There was the preview pages of a massive explosion that Peter was blaming himself for but that may not have happened yet, or we'll get an arc set in the past to cover it.

It makes sense that it was why everyone was angry at peter (as the tedious and forced melodrama Spider-man books keep coming back to), as I'm sure he wasn't directly responsible but maybe took it on himself, either because he played some small part (it looked like a Web-Ware device in his hand) or he's taking the fall to protect someone else, cut himself off from his loved ones through self-loathing. Maybe he cocooned himself up and then swung around proclaiming "I AM THE SPIDER" again and everyone rolled their eyes and told him to stop being a drama queen?

On your points:

1. Good. It was a terrible idea.
    2. Good. It was a terrible idea.
    3. Good. It was a terrible idea.

I despise the "hated loser Peter" trope.

4. Otto was just reintroduced, this could be the start of his story.
    5. The return of the new Goblin and Chasm are immanent. Let's see how they **** that up, starting at a place that both are already terrible ideas poorly executed.

This current run is not good, do not get me wrong, but I don't think it's false advertising as we're 7 odd issues in. I think it's a bit unfair to expect to judge it as a completed run or call it a con. But then, I'm not paying for it, just flipping through at my LCS, so my investment is really low.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Any clue for the identity of the mystery man at the end of the Beyond arc?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Any clue for the identity of the mystery man at the end of the Beyond arc?
    Internet consensus, if it can be described as consensus, thinks he might be Judas Traveller, who recently showed up in an X-Men title working for the anti-mutant organization Orchis. Moira MacTaggert, who we know recently used MJ Watson as her meat puppet, has also been shown canoodling with Orchis, as has a version of Mr. Sinister - and Mr. Sinister likes playing with clones very much which might tie into Dark Web and Madelyne Prior (who another version of Mr. Sinister created) and Ben Reilly.

Judas Traveller would be a long reach back into the bowels of the Clone Saga - I think even fans of that story aren't fans of his - but his thing was observing Peter and Ben and MJ to determine if Peter and Ben were evil or not, so maybe the events of Beyond caused him to take note of them again. *shrug* It's a theory.

Don't forget Wells used to write for the X-Office and according to a tweet from Gerry Duggan, he's never left the X-Men writer Slack channel.

Editing to add: Per the Marvel wiki, Traveller's powers are:
    Telepathy: Traveller possesses some degree of psionic power, primarily the ability to alter one's sense of perception and create illusions. He can also read minds and alter one's memories.
    Altering memories might be interesting...maybe that's what was done to MJ, perhaps. He was retconned to not be a godlike figure with time traveling powers, just someone with delusions of grandeur, but retcons can be retconned. He also has ties to Dr. Kafka, and we all know who her clone is now.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-11-2022 at 09:24 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    3. Mary Jane doesn't stay mad at him, as she accepts Peter's apology for how unfairly he's treated her and attempts to tell him how she truly feels before she's interrupted by her controlling boyfriend Paul.
    Dude what book are you reading? Controlling boyfriend? we haven't been given a single hint that Paul abuses children and is controlling. This type of talk is so damn aggravating. This is false narrative ****. Paul popped up conveniently as has happened hundreds of times in all of the Spider-Man mythos and in movies and other forms of entertain. Enough with this nonsense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Dude what book are you reading? Controlling boyfriend? we haven't been given a single hint that Paul abuses children and is controlling. This type of talk is so damn aggravating. This is false narrative ****
    The man was shown to be abusive towards Peter while MJ tries and fails to restrain him, she's inferred to be begging him not to visit Peter at one point, she's more relieved to see the kids than him in his first appearance an sounds unnerved when he checks in on her at their home, and doesn't tell Peter how she feels when he shows up to play nice.

What else am we meant to take away from that?

I'm cutting out nothing. Marvel want us to root against the guy.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 08-11-2022 at 09:23 AM.

Judas Traveller would be a long reach back into the bowels of the Clone Saga - I think even fans of that story aren't fans of his
    I love Judas Traveler. I've been waiting for them to bring him back for ages.

Spectacular Member

The scene where he attacks Peter appears to be an imagine spot, which still doesn't look good for Paul, but yeah, no official reference to him hitting children, just fans with a bias putting extra meaning in lines

Edit, I can't believe I just now figured out the joke they're doing, Peter, Paul and Mary Jane, lol
    Last edited by G-Man27; 08-12-2022 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Adding an extra thought

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    The scene where he attacks Peter appears to be an imagine spot, which still doesn't look good for Paul, but yeah, no official reference to him hitting children, just fans with a bias putting extra meaning in lines
    Marvel are instructing fans to have a bias and to root against Paul. They know he's bad news, we know he's bad news, all that's left is to show us how much bad news he is. And those kids will factor into it. Otherwise what is the point of them?

Peter and Mary Jane are the loving protagonists. Paul is "the other". OF COURSE that the audience will root against him. That's simply the way it works.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post

Edit, I can't believe I just now figured out the joke they're doing, Peter, Paul and Mary Jane, lol
    I don’t think that that scene was meant to be an imaginary one. Judging by the fact that they were wearing different cloths in it and the coloring effect, I think it was meant to be a flashback of a confrontation that happened at some point in the past.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Guys we all hate Paul. The very idea of his character serves to anger our existence. We don't need to make up weird things about him, the writing is just appears to be awful. Peter was apparently in a really bad place and was acting "creepy" so he was punched, the circumstances of this event and the events leading up to everyone disliking Peter are yet to be revealed. If anything Paul being a bad guy is wishful thinking that this run or status quo will have some sort of pro-peter resolution, if anything I will predict that Paul will be Mary Jane's Carlie Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    He's in the X-Men comics these days and is a member of Orchis. I am not making this up.

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    Internet consensus, if it can be described as consensus, thinks he might be Judas Traveller, who recently showed up in an X-Men title working for the anti-mutant organization Orchis. Moira MacTaggert, who we know recently used MJ Watson as her meat puppet, has also been shown canoodling with Orchis, as has a version of Mr. Sinister - and Mr. Sinister likes playing with clones very much which might tie into Dark Web and Madelyne Prior (who another version of Mr. Sinister created) and Ben Reilly.
    Traveller actually was fine with Spidey in his last appearance back in ASM#417, though Marvel likely forgot that lol.

Don't see Moira getting involved with Spidey, she showed no interest on Spidey back in Gala, MJ was just the most convenient meat puppet she could attack.

But then again, who knows how Wells will characterize her in a while, maybe Gala Moira, who's written by Duggan, wasn't aware of Wells' plans, but considering Moira is little more than a mutant racist now, I don't see why she'd go after Spidey in particular.

Either Sinister would be odd, but specifically Dr. Stasis Sinister would make little sense, he's just a generic mutant racist, plus showing up like that mysterious light did would be odd for him.

Altering memories might be interesting...maybe that's what was done to MJ, perhaps. He was retconned to not be a godlike figure with time traveling powers, just someone with delusions of grandeur, but retcons can be retconned. He also has ties to Dr. Kafka, and we all know who her clone is now.
    Worth pointing out Judas Traveler's memory alteration was only done on himself by accident, which's what was excused to explain why he thinks he's an immortal god to begin with lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Honestly I didn't think Judas Traveler was that bad when I randomly checked out his appearances, biggest problem was him being too overpowered but his character was amusing enough.

Scrier was the most boring one between both for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Guys we all hate Paul. The very idea of his character serves to anger our existence. We don't need to make up weird things about him, the writing is just appears to be awful. Peter was apparently in a really bad place and was acting "creepy" so he was punched, the circumstances of this event and the events leading up to everyone disliking Peter are yet to be revealed. If anything Paul being a bad guy is wishful thinking that this run or status quo will have some sort of pro-peter resolution, if anything I will predict that Paul will be Mary Jane's Carlie Cooper.
    Lol, well, Carlie was Gwen's second coming in being a really boring love interest and character, would suck colossally for Paul to be like that.[/QUOTE]

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    He's in the X-Men comics these days and is a member of Orchis. I am not making this up.
    It's X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comic#45 that even explains why the hell he's working with Orchis:

And I know most people don't care about his personality, but this makes no sense with him, Judas Traveler was a douchebag making weird experiments with Spidey's life to test out his resolve, and actually helped him a few times, so him becoming yet another mustache twirling villain in a group filled with mustache twirling villains is really, really boring.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 08-16-2022 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    If anything Paul being a bad guy is wishful thinking that this run or status quo will have some sort of pro-peter resolution.
    It will though. Wells has already said nothing permanent happens to the characters, we're just counting the days 'till something happens to Paul to take him off the board. I still think the kids will outlast him on the page.