Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    It will though. Wells has already said nothing permanent happens to the characters, we're just counting the days 'till something happens to Paul to take him off the board. I still think the kids will outlast him on the page.
    There are also no permanent Spider-Man writers and I can’t wait until Marvel takes HIM off the board. Hickman? Cates? Ewing? I just hope no long term Slott or another poor writer

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    There are also no permanent Spider-Man writers and I can’t wait until Marvel takes HIM off the board. Hickman? Cates? Ewing? I just hope no long term Slott or another poor writer
    I would like Jed MacKay or Patrick Gleason to be the new ASM writers. In my opinion, they wrote the best issues of Beyond. They also wrote the best scenes with MJ this year.

All-New Member

It was promoted prior to the launch that everyone was on the outs with Peter Parker and that Otto Octavius was gunning for him as part of a master plan. Once the actual volume gets underway, we find...

1. Aunt May gets over her disappointment in Peter by the end of the first story arc

2. Felicia Hardy never stopped caring about Peter, giving him a rooftop pep talk before later attending his birthday party along with all his other friends.

3. Mary Jane doesn't stay mad at him, as she accepts Peter's apology for how unfairly he's treated her and attempts to tell him how she truly feels before she's interrupted by her controlling boyfriend Paul.

4. As for Otto? Instead of being the central antagonist, he's revealed to have been made a prisoner of the Ultra Living Brain in the first issue and used to power the Sinister Super Adaptoid in ASM#900.

Anything else? Or have we all covered the empty promises of volume six?
    So everybody was mad at Peter, including MJ and Aunt May, but he worked to mend their relationships. How is that false advertising?

All-New Member

The man was shown to be abusive towards Peter while MJ tries and fails to restrain him, she's inferred to be begging him not to visit Peter at one point, she's more relieved to see the kids than him in his first appearance an sounds unnerved when he checks in on her at their home, and doesn't tell Peter how she feels when he shows up to play nice.

What else am we meant to take away from that?

I'm cutting out nothing. Marvel want us to root against the guy.
    I think you're reading things into it that aren't there. Yes, Paul punched Peter one time and MJ in a scene in issue #3 doesn't want him to talk to Peter because of that incident but otherwise they're completely jovial. I think its possible that Peter earned that punch, he'd been stalking and harassing MJ for months apparently.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by icefour33 View Post
    So everybody was mad at Peter, including MJ and Aunt May, but he worked to mend their relationships. How is that false advertising?
    He didn’t work to mend anything.

Felicia was never mad at him. Aunt May was disappointed in something he did (forgot to water her plants or let the laundry mold in the washing machine, who knows because Wells apparently will never tell us) but May waa the one trying to mend the relationship by inviting him to dinner in ASM 1 and was happy when he showed up in ASM 5 so she wasn’t all that furious at him. Randy is paying Peter’s rent for him so Randy’s obviously not that mad. His new BFF Norman finds ways to give him money. Even Johnny wasn’t all that mad, more exasperated.

Everyone else but MJ showed up to his birthday party (and proceeded to act horribly out of character but that’s beside the point). If you take time out of your day to show up to someone’s surprise party you aren’t angry at them.

In fact, Wells is writing Peter as a sad loser whose friends don’t appear to even like him that much (Felicia and maybe Norman being the exception but she’s warm for his form and who knows what Norman really wants) but they know they have to take care of him because he can’t be trusted to take care of himself. They’re not mad, they’re more like eye rolling at him.

Astonishing Member

It was promoted prior to the launch that everyone was on the outs with Peter Parker and that Otto Octavius was gunning for him as part of a master plan. Once the actual volume gets underway, we find...

1. Aunt May gets over her disappointment in Peter by the end of the first story arc

2. Felicia Hardy never stopped caring about Peter, giving him a rooftop pep talk before later attending his birthday party along with all his other friends.

3. Mary Jane doesn't stay mad at him, as she accepts Peter's apology for how unfairly he's treated her and attempts to tell him how she truly feels before she's interrupted by her controlling boyfriend Paul.

4. As for Otto? Instead of being the central antagonist, he's revealed to have been made a prisoner of the Ultra Living Brain in the first issue and used to power the Sinister Super Adaptoid in ASM#900.

Anything else? Or have we all covered the empty promises of volume six?
    Please do not forget Lowe on Beyond. He talked about how Ben would not make the mistakes that Peter did, and what happened? Marvel turned him into a villain.

Please do not forget Lowe on Beyond. He talked about how Ben would not make the mistakes that Peter did, and what happened? Marvel turned him into a villain.
    Was that Lowe misrepresenting or did Marvel disagree with him on what the character should be?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Was that Lowe misrepresenting or did Marvel disagree with him on what the character should be?
    Exact words. He said Ben wouldn't make the mistakes that Peter did. He never said Ben wouldn't make worse mistakes or commit worse actions than Peter ever could or did. Of course, since Ben is effectively Peter whose lifepath diverged from the Peter we know after the original Clone Saga in the 1970s . . . that would sound incredibly dubious at best.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    I would like Jed MacKay or Patrick Gleason to be the new ASM writers. In my opinion, they wrote the best issues of Beyond. They also wrote the best scenes with MJ this year.
    I have no problem with MacKay or Gleason.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kanos View Post
    I would like... Patrick Gleason to be the new ASM writers.
    I have no problem with... Gleason.
    Why would anyone want Gleason as ASM writer? The guy has done nothing to prove himself and has largely only co-written. Are we in such a desperate place that the guy who wrote one of the least worst bits of Beyond will do?

Would 100% support him as the next penciller, though. His art is fantastic.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Why would anyone want Gleason as ASM writer? The guy has done nothing to prove himself and has largely only co-written. Are we in such a desperate place that the guy who wrote one of the least worst bits of Beyond will do?
    He does sound like a better choice than Wells lol.

Still though, I wonder if another writer would improve that much, while I think Wells is part of the problem, the editorial also is with how they think Spidey should be treated, and I think even good writers would struggle to make Spidey not suck as a character if they keep it that way.

On the other hand, under Spencer Spidey was mostly fine, so maybe the current situation is mostly Wells' fault? Who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Guys we all hate Paul. The very idea of his character serves to anger our existence. We don't need to make up weird things about him, the writing is just appears to be awful. Peter was apparently in a really bad place and was acting "creepy" so he was punched, the circumstances of this event and the events leading up to everyone disliking Peter are yet to be revealed. If anything Paul being a bad guy is wishful thinking that this run or status quo will have some sort of pro-peter resolution, if anything I will predict that Paul will be Mary Jane's Carlie Cooper.
    Wells has a kid named Paul?

Seriously though it’s gone when the next writer steps in. Doesn’t stop it from being dumn

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    Wells has a kid named Paul?

Seriously though it’s gone when the next writer steps in. Doesn’t stop it from being dumn
    Exactly. Wells has already said his run will leave no lasting permanent changes on the characters.

As for the Carlie comparison, Carlie was done as a love interest after a year in Slott's run.

Incredible Member

Exactly. Wells has already said his run will leave no lasting permanent changes on the characters.

As for the Carlie comparison, Carlie was done as a love interest after a year in Slott's run.
    While that is refreshingly honest of someone to say about their run on any character, why in gods name would you admit to it. As a perspective buyer you’ve just downgraded your self in my eyes to fill in guy till someone better comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    While that is refreshingly honest of someone to say about their run on any character, why in gods name would you admit to it. As a perspective buyer you’ve just downgraded your self in my eyes to fill in guy till someone better comes along.
    So you're one of those guy that only reads books "that matter,"?

This is exactly how we ended up in a never ending circle of event ontop of event books.

What's wrong with just having entertaining stories about characters?