Incredible Member

Default John Stewart:Power And Glory animated movie

I didn't see a post anywhere to talk specifically about this newest DC direct to dvd/blu-ray release so here's one!

Just wondering, of course, what people did or did not like about it,etc. Stating the obvious but just in case, there will be SPOILERS!

Can't say he's always been a favorite character but like many fans, enjoyed what they did with him on the JL/JLU animated series.
    While I did see that Hawkgirl was also in the film,kind of doubted they would still follow the continuity of that show and naturally- and a little disappointedly - I was right.
    Adam Strange being a co-star was unexpected and his story comes close to overshadowing the main character.
    Why is John's origin so similar to Hal's in this? i.e. a dying alien crashes a starship and gives him a power ring. I didn't think it was in the comic books but could be wrong.
    Having Sinestro as a foil I get but did it really need to have Hal as Parallax too!? Sorry, it just seemed like they wanted to cram a well known -even infamous - story into it.
    Oh,and Green Arrow as the calm one during all of it!? lol

Maybe I'll like it better on a second watch but the first one didn't exactly thrill me.

What would be your all's score? Right now, I'd say 5 out of 10.

I thought it was an absolutely terrible film that completely misunderstood Green Lantern and its mythology. Merging the RT war with John's origin was a stupid idea. The way Sinestro was written was completely opposite to how he is portrayed in the books. And Hal...don't even want to get into that. This is what happens when you don't let people who are knowledgeable of the comics or at least those who respect the material make films. People who only know these characters through animation and other outside media will be pleased but everyone else who knows these storied and characters gets left on the beach. How is that fair?

stop hiring people who don't read comics to make comic book movies!!! skimming a wiki page is not research!!!
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Incredible Member

I like your user name. lol

You are right, skimming a Wikipedia page is not research!

So how would you have done it? Would Sinestro have been the main villain? ,etc.

Incredible Member

Well...phooey. I got the name wrong. It's GREEN LANTERN:BEWARE MY POWER! Not sure where I got the Power and Glory tagline from.
    Anyway, here's a video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbNh...ab_channel=IGN

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Adkins View Post
    I didn't see a post anywhere to talk specifically about this newest DC direct to dvd/blu-ray release so here's one!
    FYI, there was a lot of discussion about it on the John Stewart Appreciation thread around the time it came out, if you're interested in seeing opinions.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    FYI, there was a lot of discussion about it on the John Stewart Appreciation thread around the time it came out, if you're interested in seeing opinions.
    I did read a little of that but didn't want it to get jumbled up with other discussions. But I guess that's bound to happen anyway,right?