Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default August Reading Club: The Twelve by JMS!

The Twelve

Written by J. Michael Straczynski
    Art by Chris Weston
    Marvel Comics, 2008-2012

Summary: Frozen by Nazi scientists during WWII these heroes have awoken in the present and like Rip Van Winkle must adjust to this strange new world.

For those of you who came in late...Welcome to the second installment of the Collected Editions & Classic Comics Book Club! Whether you voted or not feel free to stop on by and talk about this 12 issue maxi-series by JMS.

Were there any out there who actually stuck with this book through out all its delays? Or was everybody in the same boat as I was and completely forgot about it half way through only to be surprised years later to see that it actually got finished when I saw the trade at a book store?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Love JMS in general.

Only bought the HC collection after the series was completed(although I do that for most mini-series).

Starting re-read now. I rarely re-read so I'll be interested in everyone's impression(and if mine improves above, "meh", which is what I was left with the first time I read it).

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Were there any out there who actually stuck with this book through out all its delays? Or was everybody in the same boat as I was and completely forgot about it half way through only to be surprised years later to see that it actually got finished when I saw the trade at a book store?
    I did. I have the floppies and I think the two hardcovers. There was a lot of re-reading, though, as I did forget what was going on between delays.

Now, where did I put those books or floppies???
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I did. I have the floppies and I think the two hardcovers. There was a lot of re-reading, though, as I did forget what was going on between delays.

Now, where did I put those books or floppies???
    You had more patience than I did. Looking back, there were a truly strange number of books that had long delays back then; All-Star Batman and Robin, Matt Fraction's Hawk Eye, Image United, Planetary, Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk, and I'm probably forgetting some others.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Chris Weston's one hell of an artist. As much as I love Babylon 5, JMS is pretty hit or miss as a comic book writer. I remember liking the Twelve at the time though.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I just read issue one, it reminds me of, maybe future reading club nominee The Golden Age by Robinson. Chris Weston is an odd artist, I read him on the Filth and I was scarred. I feel like he, Rags Morales, and Jerry Ordway are from the Wally Wood school.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I just read issue one, it reminds me of, maybe future reading club nominee The Golden Age by Robinson. Chris Weston is an odd artist, I read him on the Filth and I was scarred. I feel like he, Rags Morales, and Jerry Ordway are from the Wally Wood school.
    The Golden age definitely covers similar themes as the Twelve, and Robinson is always a good read so I'd be down.

I am 4 issues in and it’s a solid read. This era of heroes is a great place to go. Westons designs are all interesting. I wonder if this came out the same time as Incognito and Fatale?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I am 4 issues in and it’s a solid read. This era of heroes is a great place to go. Weston's designs are all interesting. I wonder if this came out the same time as Incognito and Fatale?
    I think it was announced before, but came out about the same time as Incognito. Fatale was a few years after both of those. There were several 'golden age' type books coming out around then from Marvel. Avengers Invaders. Marvels Project. Marvel Noir. Probably influenced / instigated by Brubaker.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

One thing that I find interesting is how much the idea of using obscure golden age characters is both a strength for the story but also a flaw. On the one hand using obscure characters that no one really remembers(never mind loves) means they are blank slates and can be whatever they need to be in order to tell the story with out alienating any readers which grants JMS a tremendous amount of creative freedom.
    On the other hand because these are characters that nobody knows or cares about they are blank slates...which means you have to completely build these characters up in your readers minds and by choosing to use twelve characters that gives you a pretty big task. And while there are some characters like Phantom Reporter,Master Mind Excello and to an extent Captain Wonder and Black Widow the others are woefully underdeveloped and with out built in knowledge about them from familiarity it makes them feel incredibly flat and forgettable.
    I kind of wonder if the story would have been more impactful if it had used slightly more recognizable characters.

I was thinking the same thing. The original Squadron Supreme maxi series and the Golden Age do have some A Lister sheen on them. I am on issue 9 and Chris Weston’s art is immersive. It seems odd this is in the Marvel U. Did anyone read Rising Stars? I think that book may have suffered from being unknown characters. What are the pulp analogues? I can see the Shadow, maybe the Phantom, and Doc Savage but who else? Who is Black Widow based on?

I was thinking the same thing. The original Squadron Supreme maxi series and the Golden Age do have some A Lister sheen on them. I am on issue 9 and Chris Weston’s art is immersive. It seems odd this is in the Marvel U. Did anyone read Rising Stars? I think that book may have suffered from being unknown characters. What are the pulp analogues? I can see the Shadow, maybe the Phantom, and Doc Savage but who else? Who is Black Widow based on?
    I don't think there are any straight analogues to the pulp characters here, but they were being published right after the pulps started to fade in the early 40's so they were definitely inspired by them.

My trade doesn't have any info on this, but has JMS ever said how he found this group of heroes? When I say they're obscure, I really mean it as several of these characters only appeared a single time in publication and even the more "popular" among them only had four or five appearances.

4 days between posts doesn't bode well for the interest in this mini.

As mentioned above, although I didn't vote for this, I am re-reading it to see if my impression improves.

6 issues in, it remains a group of characters I want to enjoy but just don't. Beautiful pictures, without much action. When Brubaker and Phillips do this type of noir-ish story better, I'd rather stick with their stories.

Meh.

Just finished the second HC(issues 7-12 and the Spearhead).

More emotional hit when read at one sitting than I recalled the first time. Really liked issue #11, with the Rockman sub-plot(probably the father in me).

Spearhead was unnecessary to the story but let Weston play with some of the better known WWII characters.

Ended up enjoying more on the second time around but I can see why the Premiere Edition HCs(original cover $24.99) were on sale at my LCS for $10 several years ago.

Enjoyable(up from Meh). 7.5/10