Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Parts of the Batman mythos that really don’t make sense in a modern setting.

1. Insane asylums don’t really exist anymore, at least not in the way They are depicted in Batman comics.
    2. Butlers that live in your house with you. If it does exist it’s extremely rare.

Astonishing Member

Between the asylum, the butler, the concept of taking in a ward, the advancement of forensic technology, and the normalising of the computer, and the rise of video surveillance, there's quite a lot of Batman that doesn't work in the modern world! Or, at least, seems massively unlikely or unusual.

Which is fine. He existed in his own world, not ours.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

1. I've noticed that now* American law enforcement and American courts don't tolerate or accept any unlawful vigilantes who break any law or violate anyone's civil or legal rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Which is fine. He existed in his own world, not ours.
    Well said.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 08-12-2022 at 08:56 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

A traveling circus (Dick Grayson's background) in the current timeframe (even without covid). Not only are such things pretty much gone, but circuses also earned a nasty reputation of animal abuse. Cirque du Soleil being about the only exception in the modern day and age.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    the concept of taking in a ward
    Actually, Guardianship occurs everyday, especially with older children. For instance in my state, once a child in care turns 12, the child can agree to or reject adoption or guardianship...or choose to stay in foster care. There are many reasons a family or consenting age child, would choose Guardianship, none of which invalidate the parent child relationship between Guardian and Ward.

And there can be other situations for Guardianship. I'm Kiddo's adoptive mother AND his Guardian. He is both my son and ward.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

None of it. None of it makes any sense. And it's glorious.

"Batman the urban legend"

Granted this never made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    "Batman the urban legend"

Granted this never made sense.
    I mean early on, I could see it. But after so long, you do see a guy running around and beating up people. And in a world with magic, aliens, and other weird things, people thinking he's maybe a vampire or something isn't too farfetched. But especially when the Justice League happens, he's in the public eye.

Let's not take all the fun out of it.

Extraordinary Member

The comics depiction of mental health.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Maybe it's been addressed before but why does Gotham City not have a Death Penalty? I know Batman has a no killing thing going on, but the other authorities of Gotham? You mean to tell me they always just lock up Joker instead of giving him the death sentence? This never made sense to me. Even if they had a no Death Penalty prior I would think extreme criminals like Joker would force them to consider one.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Maybe it's been addressed before but why does Gotham City not have a Death Penalty? I know Batman has a no killing thing going on, but the other authorities of Gotham? You mean to tell me they always just lock up Joker instead of giving him the death sentence? This never made sense to me. Even if they had a no Death Penalty prior I would think extreme criminals like Joker would force them to consider one.
    Well, back when Cass was Batgirl, during her run, she took the "no killing" to the point of actually interfering with a death row inmate about to be executed. So, it was there for that. But not the Joker or Scarecrow for some reason.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    A traveling circus (Dick Grayson's background) in the current timeframe (even without covid). Not only are such things pretty much gone, but circuses also earned a nasty reputation of animal abuse. Cirque du Soleil being about the only exception in the modern day and age.
    Don't know about the US but in Europe there seem to still some around.

Extraordinary Member

About the only one that I think is genuinely outdated is Arkham and mental illness being portrayed as violence… at least without having the Wayne Foundation established as supporting mental health elsewhere.

Most everything else is comparatively tame as an anomaly for modern times, or can be excused using corruption in Gotham - and I think Arkham being a hellhole because of the corruption makes sense. I just think that Bruce should have the more compassionate and rational understanding of it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, back when Cass was Batgirl, during her run, she took the "no killing" to the point of actually interfering with a death row inmate about to be executed. So, it was there for that. But not the Joker or Scarecrow for some reason.
    Maybe that inmate was wrongly accused? I don't know, to me it just raises more questions why anyone would want to live in Gotham when they let all these dangerous criminals basically murder with little to no consequences, no matter what jail or Arkham cell they get locked in. It's funny because all the recent live action Batman movies want to go for gritty realism, yet if it was realistic every Gotham City would have a Death Penalty and the likes of Joker, Bane, Scarecrow, ect would be on the list. I never understood this portion of the Batman mythos.