Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCfan2022 View Post
    1. The Batmobiles would get Batman caught. Driving around in an unusual car that has your face on it is not a good idea. I'm surprised Bale Batman managed to get away driving that huge tumbler.

2. The fact that gotham villains can chill out in bars and no one bats an eye. Joker, Harley, and Ivy would have to hide their skin tones with heavy makeup and wear wigs whenever they go out in public.

3. You can't kill 10 of your henchmen and expect some of them not to turn on you.
    1. Fair enough, but the movies have depicted it kinda in a plausible way. Bruce sticks to backroads and dark alleyways for the most part, and modern versions of the Batmobile are plugged into a satellite network that would help with navigation. Also, while the Tumbler would be difficult from a stealth perspective, something like the Batmobile in Reeves' film is pretty realistic and could easily blend in and not stand out too much.

2. In really messed up cities (or parts of cities) notoriously underworld figures openly frequent bars and other establishments and no one bats an eye. So that part, sadly, has a basis in reality.

3. True. But then again, many of these guys are either just desperate (and the Joker or Riddler pays too damn well) and/or they believe that they are good enough to avoid pissing off the Joker. In real-life, why do so many people work closely with dictators or terrorist leaders, even ones who've killed their closest aides or liuetanants? Same logic applies.

Astonishing Member

Tom kings batman

About sums it up for me

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Don't know about the US but in Europe there seem to still some around.
    Yeah, I just got a leaflet through the letterbox today advertising a circus at the local park. They're still a thing, just less common, with no animal acts or freaks. It's all stunt based now. Acrobats and strongmen, for example. Dick's origin can still work.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCfan2022 View Post
    2. The fact that gotham villains can chill out in bars and no one bats an eye. Joker, Harley, and Ivy would have to hide their skin tones with heavy makeup and wear wigs whenever they go out in public.
    I find it even weirder that Penguin and I think also Black Mask seem still be able to run legitimate businesses on the site, I mean aren't both escapes from Black Gate or Arkham?

And how could the Riddler even work as a private investigator?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I find it even weirder that Penguin and I think also Black Mask seem still be able to run legitimate businesses on the site, I mean aren't both escapes from Black Gate or Arkham?

And how could the Riddler even work as a private investigator?
    I don't think Penguin does any overt Supervillain crimes any more, at least that can be pinned back to him.

I assume Riddler got a clean bill of health from Arkham. Same with Harley.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think Penguin does any overt Supervillain crimes any more, at least that can be pinned back to him.
    Don't know I'm pretty sure Batman put him away at some point, and I don't think that he could have already served his sentence.
    But I need to do some digging to confirm that.

-Circus's are still around. I recently saw a YT channel dedicated to a trapeze artist family.

-As per 'Untold Legend of Batman', Alfred becoming butler for the Wayne's was due to his father's dying request. Alfred never intended to stay as a butler but circumstances like the Wayne Family murder resulted in him prolonging his butlering days. Alfred's real passion was the theater.

As for things that don't work now:

-The Batmobile: at least, the big obvious ones with the bat symbols. The more understated ones that could be mistakes for a regular sports car would be more fitting for the modern day.

-CCTV and camera phones would make it harder for Batman to operate as easily especially using his other vehicles. But Batman is also supposed to be a master of disguise. When was the last time we saw his go under cover as Matches Malone or even just a regular guy? There are ways to write around it.

Anyway, I don't need Batman to exist in the real world. I had enough 'real world' Batman after TDK. To me Batman lives in an alternate present, in a fictitious world that operates differently from our own.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    -Circus's are still around. I recently saw a YT channel dedicated to a trapeze artist family.

-As per 'Untold Legend of Batman', Alfred becoming butler for the Wayne's was due to his father's dying request. Alfred never intended to stay as a butler but circumstances like the Wayne Family murder resulted in him prolonging his butlering days. Alfred's real passion was the theater.

As for things that don't work now:

-The Batmobile: at least, the big obvious ones with the bat symbols. The more understated ones that could be mistakes for a regular sports car would be more fitting for the modern day.

-CCTV and camera phones would make it harder for Batman to operate as easily especially using his other vehicles. But Batman is also supposed to be a master of disguise. When was the last time we saw his go under cover as Matches Malone or even just a regular guy? There are ways to write around it.

Anyway, I don't need Batman to exist in the real world. I had enough 'real world' Batman after TDK. To me Batman lives in an alternate present, in a fictitious world that operates differently from our own.
    Tynion's run, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Maybe it's been addressed before but why does Gotham City not have a Death Penalty? I know Batman has a no killing thing going on, but the other authorities of Gotham? You mean to tell me they always just lock up Joker instead of giving him the death sentence? This never made sense to me. Even if they had a no Death Penalty prior I would think extreme criminals like Joker would force them to consider one.
    23 states, or about half the country, don't have a death penalty. One of those is NY and while Gotham is not canonically NYC, there's reason to assume its state's politics aren't such that it also doesn't have one.

Amazing Member

The Joker chemical acids Origin Story