Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66
  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I don't expect her in Bludhaven or Gotham to at all replicate that quality of material, especially without Greg Rucka.

    And ultimately I just don't think Superman should lose a supporting character to the Bat-Franchise.
    He hasn't used them in decades, so why?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

  2. #32
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    91,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    He hasn't used them in decades, so why?
    I mean, there are plenty of Bat-Supporting characters we haven't seen in decades, so can they move to Metropolis ?

    It's more odd because Taylor is actually writing a Superman book.

  3. #33
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    Dick Grayson used this as a symbol of change in Bludhaven, making the Community Center the antagonist of Blockbuster's criminal empire, and Nightwing and the Titans as its protectors.
    See, these same heroes take down many of Blockbuster's criminal activities in the same night, and Dick doesn't expect retaliation?
    He simply put the community center in the middle of the conflict.
    In Dan Jurgens' latest issue, Bruce goes to Bludhaven and presents several homeless residents with a new abtational set, without drawing attention. In Dixon's run, Nightwing and Superman stop Blockbuster from evicting several people from their residences, but they aren't dumb enough to pull the string too much and leave Blockbuster in a situation with nothing to lose, as Dick, Titans, and Batfam did in this issue.
    The moment Blockbuster sees that his empire is crumbling, Nightwing is supposed to be there, taking him down.
    Except those same kids were being targeted and attacked by Blockbuster and Heartless prior to the Haven opening. Dick didn’t make that park a symbol as an antagonist. He openly used his wealth to create opportunities for people living in poverty.

    That’s like saying it’s snap superheroes fault when their villains retaliate to hurt them. Might as well just pack it in and let Blockbuster run the show and keep the kids at their homeless camp. Bruce helping a select few is nothing like Duck helping the entire community.

    You obviously have to crumble the villains empire to put them away. The alternative being to continue to let him operate.
    Last edited by Iclifton; 08-16-2022 at 07:22 PM.

  4. #34
    Fantastic Member Felipe Silveira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Except those same kids were being targeted and attacked by Blockbuster and Heartless prior to the Haven opening. Dick didn’t make that park a symbol as an antagonist. He openly used his wealth to create opportunities for people living in poverty.

    That’s like saying it’s snap superheroes fault when their villains retaliate to hurt them. Might as well just pack it in and let Blockbuster run the show and keep the kids at their homeless camp. Bruce helping a select few is nothing like Duck helping the entire community.

    You obviously have to crumble the villains empire to put them away. The alternative being to continue to let him operate.
    For Dick in this run the important thing is to gain popular approval, just like the writer on twitter.
    Dick could do all the good he did without provoking Blockbuster, but all he did was provoke and not prepare for retaliation, probably because he wouldn't have any TV cameras around.

  5. #35
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Silveira View Post
    For Dick in this run the important thing is to gain popular approval, just like the writer on twitter.
    Dick could do all the good he did without provoking Blockbuster, but all he did was provoke and not prepare for retaliation, probably because he wouldn't have any TV cameras around.
    That's the most over the top take I've seen on this current run so far. Just because you aren't enjoying this run doesn't mean Dick is being written like he's the 1980's version of Booster Gold. Your post reads like a Tucker Carlson review of Taylor's work or something.

  6. #36
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Posts
    552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    That's the most over the top take I've seen on this current run so far. Just because you aren't enjoying this run doesn't mean Dick is being written like he's the 1980's version of Booster Gold. Your post reads like a Tucker Carlson review of Taylor's work or something.
    Perfect summation.

    Dick is using his influence and money to hold people accountable and make a difference in public. Nothing wrong with fighting crimes as superhero and civilian. Not saying it is a perfect run but a lot of these criticism are super hyperbolic.

  7. #37
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, there are plenty of Bat-Supporting characters we haven't seen in decades, so can they move to Metropolis ?
    If they are not being used, why not? It's a shared universe.

    Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    That's the most over the top take I've seen on this current run so far. Just because you aren't enjoying this run doesn't mean Dick is being written like he's the 1980's version of Booster Gold. Your post reads like a Tucker Carlson review of Taylor's work or something.
    This is a very apt description.

  8. #38
    Fantastic Member Felipe Silveira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Brasil
    Posts
    426

    Default

    easy way to out

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    He hasn't used them in decades, so why?
    Exactly this.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

  10. #40
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    91,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    If they are not being used, why not? It's a shared universe.
    Yeah, but it's a shared universe that sometimes feels a little too geared towards the Bat-side of said universe.

  11. #41
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but it's a shared universe that sometimes feels a little too geared towards the Bat-side of said universe.
    Because the writers on the bat books actually make use of supporting characters.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

  12. #42
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    91,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Because the writers on the bat books actually make use of supporting characters.
    That's not necessarily true.

    I mean, Bullock appearances have become so infrequent, civilian supporting character vanish depending on the run, I'm not sure if Vicki Vale appeared after that one issue where she and Dick flirted with each other.

    A ton of Nightwing supporting characters have come and gone with each subsequent creative team.

  13. #43
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    9,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    He hasn't used them in decades, so why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, there are plenty of Bat-Supporting characters we haven't seen in decades, so can they move to Metropolis ?

    It's more odd because Taylor is actually writing a Superman book.
    While Taylor is writing a Superman book, the one who brought Maggie back to Metro was Jurgens. Taylor may have a different preference.

  14. #44
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's not necessarily true.

    I mean, Bullock appearances have become so infrequent, civilian supporting character vanish depending on the run, I'm not sure if Vicki Vale appeared after that one issue where she and Dick flirted with each other.

    A ton of Nightwing supporting characters have come and gone with each subsequent creative team.
    That's because of late the batman writers have been pretty bad, but historically over the last thirty years it has had a much better streak.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

  15. #45
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iclifton View Post
    Bruce helping a select few is nothing like Duck helping the entire community.
    I just noticed this sentence. Here is my issue: this isn't a novel storyline, it's a retread of a retread, which is being retread again in Robin. Tim built sanctuary in Red Robin. I believe Alfred even funded his own program. Bruce built one in Snyder's run/RSOB, after already having build homes for children through Batman's near 100 year run. He also built hospitals, schools, civic works, parks, kept open manufacturing jobs in abandoned parts of the city, helped rejuvenate Crime Alley, etc. Oh, and the consequences of funding a poorly designed program or "throwing money at a problem" have been explored.

    But more, when the federal government abandoned Gotham, followed by the major employers as a result of the events of Cataclysm, Bruce funded the rebuilding of Gotham, he rebuilt the city as Wayne Manor lay in ruins, coordinating with the remaining civic, faith, and underworld leaders to distribute food and supplies in No Man's Land. He personally guided the reform of several Blackgate prisoners, and co ordinated and empowered an entire team of vigilantes. He made sure the work was sustainable, and not just as flash in the pan. He made sure people had jobs to give them purpose and a place of dignity in the community and not just charity. Not to be too on the nose, but Bruce made sure his equivalents to Heartless were not out collecting more hearts while Bruce got huggies with Ace and coffee with Silver St Cloud stand in. And while this was all happening, Bruce was still working on global threats with the League and funding the League.

    He also effectively rooted out corruption not only in GCPD, but other civic organizations...and even federal.

    And Nightwing was part of the process and should have learned from it....especially as he has already addressed corruption in BPD through a hard work and dedication.
    Last edited by OOPS; 08-18-2022 at 04:41 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •