Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OOPS View Post
    I just noticed this sentence. Here is my issue: this isn't a novel storyline, it's a retread of a retread, which is being retread again in Robin. Tim built sanctuary in Red Robin. I believe Alfred even funded his own program. Bruce built one in Snyder's run/RSOB, after already having build homes for children through Batman's near 100 year run. He also built hospitals, schools, civic works, parks, kept open manufacturing jobs in abandoned parts of the city, helped rejuvenate Crime Alley, etc. Oh, and the consequences of funding a poorly designed program or "throwing money at a problem" have been explored.

But more, when the federal government abandoned Gotham, followed by the major employers as a result of the events of Cataclysm, Bruce funded the rebuilding of Gotham, he rebuilt the city as Wayne Manor lay in ruins, coordinating with the remaining civic, faith, and underworld leaders to distribute food and supplies in No Man's Land. He personally guided the reform of several Blackgate prisoners, and co ordinated and empowered an entire team of vigilantes. He made sure the work was sustainable, and not just as flash in the pan. He made sure people had jobs to give them purpose and a place of dignity in the community and not just charity. Not to be too on the nose, but Bruce made sure his equivalents to Heartless were not out collecting more hearts while Bruce got huggies with Ace and coffee with Silver St Cloud stand in. And while this was all happening, Bruce was still working on global threats with the League and funding the League.

He also effectively rooted out corruption not only in GCPD, but other civic organizations...and even federal.

And Nightwing was part of the process and should have learned from it....especially as he has already addressed corruption in BPD through a hard work and dedication.
    Well said. I know Dick isn't necessarily known as the most proactive and planning of the Batfamily, but he's not usually as passive and reactive as he is in this arc.

But I think this run isn't well thought through enough to either be aware of those past storylines, their implications, or to construct one that mirrors or builds off of them effectively.

But to be fair, I'm simply not enjoying the run very much. Those who are enjoying it have many things that I can understand why they enjoy it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

I'm glad for people who enjoy the run. I just don't understand the "see, Dick is doing what Bruce would never do" kind of inference. Bruce not only would, but has.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's because of late the batman writers have been pretty bad, but historically over the last thirty years it has had a much better streak.
    I would say the same for most comics and franchises, unfortunately.

Extraordinary Member

I'm glad for people who enjoy the run. I just don't understand the "see, Dick is doing what Bruce would never do" kind of inference. Bruce not only would, but has.
    At least as far as the comics I've read are concerned, I've never seen Bruce take on such a hand on approach as Dick has. Again, from what I've read, he just usually makes some announcement, hands the details to Lucius or whoever and that's the last time you ever hear about it. A lot of tell and no show. And that's not a knock on Bruce, btw. Because (frankly) I'm not sure that sort of story suits him the way it does Dick.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    At least as far as the comics I've read are concerned, I've never seen Bruce take on such a hand on approach as Dick has. Again, from what I've read, he just usually makes some announcement, hands the details to Lucius or whoever and that's the last time you ever hear about it. A lot of tell and no show. And that's not a knock on Bruce, btw. Because (frankly) I'm not sure that sort of story suits him the way it does Dick.
    I think it's a really run/era dependent thing, but I think there's only so much you can really do with that aspect of the Wayne Family...

Spectacular Member

I love the run, but is is more about how the ideas are presented, rather than the novelty of such ideas.

It doesn't strike me that Bruce never did charity. He did. Dick, however, is not simply doing charity, he's giving away all of his money. That is very in character, at least from my perspective.

Extraordinary Member

Bruce actually ran the Wayne Foundation together with Lucius back in the Bronze Age. He stepped down at some point because that together with being Batman was to much.

And there used occasionally be stories that showed him to be more involved with a projects.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
    It doesn't strike me that Bruce never did charity. He did. Dick, however, is not simply doing charity, he's giving away all of his money. That is very in character, at least from my perspective.
    Dick gave away all of Alfreds Money.

And Bruce Money is (or was) in parts tied up in company that was big employer in Gotham, and allows him to make more money he can use to help people, he needs money to be Batman and without his resources Gotham would have likely been destroyed (or not have been rebuild after being destroyed) it gives him at least some political influence he can also use to do good.

I mean it is nice that Dick invests all his money in social projects, but what good is that when Blüdheaven is attacked by a Kaiju or an Army of Zombi- or Man-Bat-Assassins?

Spectacular Member

I recommend Cataclysm and No Man's Land, as starting point but even in my *very, very* limited reading Bruce's attempts to contribute to society is covered in many runs. I'm neither "a comic book reader" nor a Batman fan. I'm just cheap, and DC Infinite is a bargain.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

And Bruce Money is (or was) in parts tied up in company that was big employer in Gotham, and allows him to make more money he can use to help people, he needs money to be Batman and without his resources Gotham would have likely been destroyed (or not have been rebuild after being destroyed) it gives him at least some political influence he can also use to do good.

I mean it is nice that Dick invests all his money in social projects, but what good is that when Blüdheaven is attacked by a Kaiju or an Army of Zombi- or Man-Bat-Assassins?
    He would probably just utilize his resources and call a ton of other super heroes to assist.

Personally I am enjoying seeing how Dicks different personality traits impact how he fights crime when given the same resources as Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Funny how you choose to say this to discredit his action.
    Bruce also inherited his fortune anyways.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post

Again, I'm not sure that is a fair assessment. From my limited reading, while the Waynes were one of the leading families of Gotham, they were not the super rich of the super rich (note they weren't even fully on the Court of Owls ajenda though certainly the court is a retcon)...especially when Bruce inherited/attained majority. I believe in one continuity WE was even on the verge of collapse. My understanding is that Bruce cultivated the money, and even developed product, via people like Lucius Fox. That Bruce hid behind and from the very qualified managers he guided into place....all the while playing the ignorant buffoon. The "techniques" and tech produced by WE was often of Batman origin. That then funded the charitable and civic works of Wayne Foundation, the work of Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Spoiler , the Titans, the Teen Titans and to some extent the Justice League and the Outsiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Is all the money gone? If so what will he make a living.

Incredible Member

Again, I'm not sure that is a fair assessment. From my limited reading, while the Waynes were one of the leading families of Gotham, they were not the super rich of the super rich (note they weren't even fully on the Court of Owls ajenda though certainly the court is a retcon)...especially when Bruce inherited/attained majority. I believe in one continuity WE was even on the verge of collapse. My understanding is that Bruce cultivated the money, and even developed product, via people like Lucius Fox. That Bruce hid behind and from the very qualified managers he guided into place....all the while playing the ignorant buffoon. The "techniques" and tech produced by WE was often of Batman origin. That then funded the charitable and civic works of Wayne Foundation, the work of Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Spoiler , the Titans, the Teen Titans and to some extent the Justice League and the Outsiders.
    Na I am pretty sure Bruce was a billionaire from the beginning. He definitely was in Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderNight View Post
    Is all the money gone? If so what will he make a living.
    Is not, i don't even know why people are saying this.

I don't think that's the case, and he probably expanded his fortune because he is a smart man, but even if he was "just" a millionare doesn't change the fact that he was a rich man that inherited his money from his parents.

It's also much easier to make money when you are already rich.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.