Extraordinary Member

Default Black Adam #3 Preview

Black Adam #3 Preview
    Writer: Christopher Priest
    Artist: Rafa Sandoval

Theo is probably just really happy that it wasn’t actually Desaad who wanted to lock lips.

I’m assuming Ishtar is new, I believe Priest has said he wanted to use New Gods but had to go with creating his own unique gods.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

This sounds pretty awesome. Black Adam is going to be dealing with all new pantheons and possibly going on a spiritual journey. Ishtar, the Mesopotamian goddess of love and war, is a great addition to the Shazam mythology.

Really looking forward to what Priest has in store!

I hope they mention Adrianna.

Okay so after that big last page reveal, I’m not exactly sure what to make of these gods they’ve gone and created for this run
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Definitely looks like Malik is biting the dust by the end of this (by Adam’s hand too no less if I’m right). Of course Priest has to make even a crazy vision quest through Hell even harder to grasp the meaning of Are those gods real or imaginary? Someone sent Adam a vision of the child he slew, and Desaad/Darkseid were there too, but maybe they were all symptoms of the first stage of Adam being poisoned? Can’t say yet.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Theo is probably just really happy that it wasn’t actually Desaad who wanted to lock lips.

I’m assuming Ishtar is new, I believe Priest has said he wanted to use New Gods but had to go with creating his own unique gods.
    Yup, new gods - though they have familiar names! I'm very intrigued by the Schroedinger's gods that Priest introduced with the idea that they might be real, or they might be hallucinations and bacteria. I am sucked into this book that has metaphysical speculation alongside State Department people kvetching about mass murder, and Batman funding political opponents to supervillains. Great, great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Definitely looks like Malik is biting the dust by the end of this (by Adam’s hand too no less if I’m right). Of course Priest has to make even a crazy vision quest through Hell even harder to grasp the meaning of Are those gods real or imaginary? Someone sent Adam a vision of the child he slew, and Desaad/Darkseid were there too, but maybe they were all symptoms of the first stage of Adam being poisoned? Can’t say yet.
    What makes you think Malik is doomed? To seal Black Adam's unredeemability? I hope not - I really like this guy.

The story just keeps sucking me in, and that last page was really fascinating in how it built up and then released tension from the rest of the issue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Yup, new gods - though they have familiar names! I'm very intrigued by the Schroedinger's gods that Priest introduced with the idea that they might be real, or they might be hallucinations and bacteria. I am sucked into this book that has metaphysical speculation alongside State Department people kvetching about mass murder, and Batman funding political opponents to supervillains. Great, great stuff!

What makes you think Malik is doomed? To seal Black Adam's unredeemability? I hope not - I really like this guy.

The story just keeps sucking me in, and that last page was really fascinating in how it built up and then released tension from the rest of the issue.
    Adam shared his power with Malik because he thought he was going to die. Now he’s alive again and Priest has said he and Malik are going to beef with each other. Amon walking around is a pointed reminder of just how far Adam is willing to go to be the sole owner of “his” power. Finally in that vision we saw this issue, an older version of Malik is killed. That feels like foreshadowing to me.

I like Malik too so I wouldn’t mind being wrong but what better way to recement Adam’s irredeemability then by having him once again kill a child/youth to boost his power? Priest is the kind of writer willing to go there.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Adam shared his power with Malik because he thought he was going to die. Now he’s alive again and Priest has said he and Malik are going to beef with each other. Amon walking around is a pointed reminder of just how far Adam is willing to go to be the sole owner of “his” power. Finally in that vision we saw this issue, an older version of Malik is killed. That feels like foreshadowing to me.

I like Malik too so I wouldn’t mind being wrong but what better way to recement Adam’s irredeemability then by having him once again kill a child/youth to boost his power? Priest is the kind of writer willing to go there.
    He absolutely is. Hosun my beloved, I miss you!

Ugh, this is why I love reading Priest. He tells stories that just grab your heart and rip it out without feeling unnecessarily nasty or edgy. They have hard, hard edges, but never for shock.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Does he wear the cape in this?

That was very strong last page.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Does he wear the cape in this?
    Yes.

Priest is the kind of writer willing to go there.
    This what makes Priest's books interesting to follow.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Its a real strength of character moment for Malik to actually go through with reviving Black Adam.

Especially since even his own men seriously consider just letting him die.