Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is your trust in the current X-Office/X-Slack/Writers Room waning?

Just wanted your opinions. This not to **** on the writers and we know corporate probably wants all these events because it boosts sales but is your trust waning?

I feel like there is a lot of meandering now and that they our taking advantage of our post HoxPox launch energy still that is kind of almost gone at this point if I do speak honestly.

I’m still enjoying all the titles. I’ve love Gillen on Eternals so I was very excited about Judgement day and so far it’s been solid. Percy’s X-force was dragging a bit but I think it has picked up the pace some. Wolverine is always good as is Red and X-Men. Immortal has very high “highs” but for only having a few issues one or two did give me a “meh” reaction. New Mutants and Marauders are doing their own thing it feels like but I like them. Side not I met Rod Reis at Emerald City comic con this weekend and got a Magneto commission from him that is amazing.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

It has wanned a long time ago. If I had my way, I'd replace all 2019/Dawn of X writers.

Astonishing Member

You cannot lower the opinion of the forum counterweight, for mine is as low as it has ever been.

On that note I request that you do not collectively go negative on this, as my role is foretold and I would rather not be the next iteration of Outburstz.

On a more serious note the new authors are mostly fine, the only one I don’t like his work is Orlando, the old authors are about the same, and the original run had crossovers swallow the books as well, people didn’t mind as much because the Avengers weren’t in X of Swords.

The original run had books this forum collectively disliked as well or were split on. Marauders. Excalibur. X-corps. X-Force. X-Factor. Fallen Angels.

My trust in Al Ewing is absolute but I will admit my trust and interest for the rest of the creators is waning. I just can't get into Tini's books, Percy's books are just dragging. In regards to X-Men at this point I'm only reading it for Synch while Immortal bores me to the point that I've already dropped that series.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I think the PoX/HoX followed by Dawn of X and so on has done a lot of good.

Yes, like every era, there are some (mini) series that failed us, like Fallen Angels before and X-Force at the moment. But it brought us lots of good, like Krakoa, Planet Arakko, the Arraki mutants are mostly awesome, and some great sites like Hellions, Immortal and Red X-Men.

The only disappointment for me is the lack of a Academy/ New X-Men series.

I like the current era.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I'm less optimistic now than I was at the start of Krakoa, where it felt like anything could happen, and the franchise and characters could move in unique ways. It feels like we've gotten into a holding pattern. But I can't say I lost trust in the writers; the ones I didn't care for, I still don't care for. I still have the same amount of faith in the writers I like. Some writers (Ewing, Ayala) actually surprised me and earned my interest.

I'd say that I don't trust the higher ups, especially after hearing about issues and mishaps from some of the artists and writers. But like, what else is new? The X-Office has a reputation for being difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Oh for sure. Not so much the writers but whoever is making the top decisions has been an absolute joke imo. To let other departments just come in and trounce on your stories and not care about the bottom line of your department or your overall writers and the experience they have having their stories chopped up and halted imo is borderline shameful.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    My trust in Al Ewing is absolute but I will admit my trust and interest for the rest of the creators is waning. I just can't get into Tini's books, Percy's books are just dragging. In regards to X-Men at this point I'm only reading it for Synch while Immortal bores me to the point that I've already dropped that series.
    Ewing is absolutely killing it. So much so, that I’m sad he’s only got one X-book. His X-men Red cast is large and sprawling, so I think he could easily juggle two books and move some characters over to give them more room to breathe. And Percy’s Wolverine is solid, but his X-Force is not so solid. Ergo, here’s my solution: Give X-Force to Ewing and have him really lean into the mutant CIA angle, shaking up the cast a bit to continue some threads he started in X-men Red.

The perfect time to do this is after the upcoming space arc in November’s issue of X-Force, which actually takes the team to Mars/Planet Arakko in pursuit of the Arakki pirate, Sevyr Blackmore. Just have Cable, Thunderbird and Manifold join up with Deadpool and Domino; and keep Sage running things on the intel side (I’d probably ditch Beast).
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

I'm a casual fan and the current era has been pretty interesting. So I'm fine with the current books I read.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Oh for sure. Not so much the writers but whoever is making the top decisions has been an absolute joke imo. To let other departments just come in and trounce on your stories and not care about the bottom line of your department or your overall writers and the experience they have having their stories chopped up and halted imo is borderline shameful.
    People do know the editor now is the same editor during those periods these forums hated, right?

Also it's not like this is unique to recently either. X-men vs Fantastic Four?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think there are some very clever writers in that group and I appreciated what White and his editors have done for the X-line so far. I do lament the loss of a Head of X writer though to really drive the line as a whole in a way editors can't and multiple writers can't. I wish Ewing or Gillen took on that role and were more involved in mapping books and directions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think there are some very clever writers in that group and I appreciated what White and his editors have done for the X-line so far. I do lament the loss of a Head of X writer though to really drive the line as a whole in a way editors can't and multiple writers can't. I wish Ewing or Gillen took on that role and were more involved in mapping books and directions.
    I think the issue there is you want a head writer when you want a dramatic line change in the status quo, a central story driving change. The issue is the current X-office didn't want to move forward, they wanted to pause things so they could keep the stories going in this status quo to begin with. Hickman decided not to wait out however long that would be and left, and most of those stories we put the line on pause for didn't pan out. Hellions finished not that long after the change. X-factor was cancelled. Duggan's Maruders ended poorly at best. The only two who are getting their wish of telling their planned story in the same status quo atm are Percy and Howard.

And In Percy's case I'm pretty sure he was told to drop certain plot points regarding the resurrections

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Just wanted your opinions. This not to **** on the writers and we know corporate probably wants all these events because it boosts sales but is your trust waning?

I feel like there is a lot of meandering now and that they our taking advantage of our post HoxPox launch energy still that is kind of almost gone at this point if I do speak honestly.
    Some writers I just don't gel with, but I think it is more editorial because I am disappointed across the series, not just with particular books. I feel storylines have gotten so stale because the writers are so afraid to hurt the mutants that they refuse to give them real challenges and dangers. We get the same easy fight against the bad guy of the week. It's almost become a procedural, and that takes the excitement out of it for me.

As an aside, the only real exception is Rockslide, and it annoys me that by 'killing' him they made him an infinitely more interesting character! Why can't they find a way to put our characters in jeapordy/have bad things happen to them as story engines for them to overcome, instead of each issue another Omega one shots the bad guy?

Which brings me to my second point: practically the entire series of books have like only the same two dozen mutants in it. We have so many mutants with the same power sets, but instead of spreading the love they use the same telepath or two, the same brawlers, the same team leader, the same shifty schemer...

I remember one panel had the skyscraper sized Hex (I think the one Exodus soloed?) and instead of the 200 mutants with powers that might actually be useful in fighting it, we get yet more page time for the Wolverine clan, whose (relatively) minuscule claws are absolutely useless again skyscraper sized monstrosities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I'm less optimistic now than I was at the start of Krakoa, where it felt like anything could happen, and the franchise and characters could move in unique ways. It feels like we've gotten into a holding pattern. But I can't say I lost trust in the writers; the ones I didn't care for, I still don't care for. I still have the same amount of faith in the writers I like. Some writers (Ewing, Ayala) actually surprised me and earned my interest.

I'd say that I don't trust the higher ups, especially after hearing about issues and mishaps from some of the artists and writers. But like, what else is new? The X-Office has a reputation for being difficult.
    Can you please expand on this. I'd love to hear more about what issues and mishaps you refer to.

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I love that they're using Synch, but I wish they would focus more on him as a person than just being a power set. This a critique I have of all the mutants who aren't the dozen favorites of X-Office, even when they get their glowup and some time in the spotlight. I wanted to see more exploration of that thing with X-23 (which I didn't really like as a plot because I don't see either of them really being what the other wants, to say nothing of that 200 year stalkerish thing being totally creepy and not a good look for a really great character, but I did enjoy seeing a tiny bit more insight into the characters themselves and would've liked more of that) and some kind of interaction with his contemporaries from the past. (think Monet and the others he died to protect...)

I feel let down that they're just ignoring any part of Synch's life that doesn't revolve around him being a solider or Cyke's pseudo little brother/protégé. (I hope they at least make this a story beat now that Cyke's actual little bro is also on the Team!!!)
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    People do know the editor now is the same editor during those periods these forums hated, right?

Also it's not like this is unique to recently either. X-men vs Fantastic Four?
    I'm not really going to debate what i said. it's what i feel in my heart and my honest opinion.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/