Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Dc and Marvel characters that are parallels to each other but aren’t clones.

I’d say Captain Marvel(Carol) and Powergirl are weirdly similar. Both characters were created in the wake of 2nd wave feminism. They are both blonde. They’re both depicted as having kind of an abrasive personality. They even both had a weird pregnancy story line that their respective companies are trying to make you forget happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I’d say Captain Marvel(Carol) and Powergirl are weirdly similar. Both characters were created in the wake of 2nd wave feminism. They are both blonde. They’re both depicted as having kind of an abrasive personality. They even both had a weird pregnancy story line that their respective companies are trying to make you forget happen.
    I knew about Marvel's messed up pregnancy thing. But I did not know about Powergirl's.

I'd say the Marvel and DC original Captains Marvel(Captain Marvels?).

Both have a supernatural/alien source of power. Both switch places with a teen age ally(Billy Batson/Rick Jones). Keeping that teen/adult dichotomy going.

And then, obviously the name. Just enough differences to avoid a lawsuit?

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    I'd say the Marvel and DC original Captains Marvel(Captain Marvels?).

Both have a supernatural/alien source of power. Both switch places with a teen age ally(Billy Batson/Rick Jones). Keeping that teen/adult dichotomy going.

And then, obviously the name. Just enough differences to avoid a lawsuit?
    Originally Marvel's Captain Marvel was pretty much different but he evolved to resemble certain characteristics of OG Captain Marvel. I think there was certain willing intention to copy him, but the origin differenciated them.

I think the most obvious parallels are Jason Todd and Bucky Barnes: tragically dead sidekicks who returned to life with a less heroic identity before rejoin their mentors.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

X-23 and Casandra Cain; both were born to be made into human weapons and spent their childhoods being abused and trained to that effect (including being forced to kill). Both managed to hang onto their humanity in spite of it and escaped when given the chance and found their way to a team of heroes where they were given a sense of belonging and to chose their own paths, becoming some of the best of their generation. Both had been depicted as struggling with scars from their traumatic upbringing (X-23 being a cutter, Cassandra having severe learning disorders and having to learn to read, write and speak long after the window for optimal effectiveness). Both are also fan favorites within their own franchises and took on a mantle from a predecessor of their team of choice.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Originally Marvel's Captain Marvel was pretty much different but he evolved to resemble certain characteristics of OG Captain Marvel. I think there was certain willing intention to copy him, but the origin differenciated them.

I think the most obvious parallels are Jason Todd and Bucky Barnes: tragically dead sidekicks who returned to life with a less heroic identity before rejoin their mentors.
    Yeah, the Rick Jones thing was a later addition. Originally he was in Hulk, and is responsible for his origin. Then he went to Avengers, playing the same role as Snapper Carr did for the JLA. Next, he became the new Bucky. Steve soon realised there was no replacing James Buchanan Barnes (his next sidekick would have his own unique identity, Falcon) and then later, Rick got entangled with Captain Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I knew about Marvel's messed up pregnancy thing. But I did not know about Powergirl's.
    Wasn't it Spoiler, not PG? Or did it happen more than once?

Thor and Wonder Woman. Both mythology based heroes, but Thor is Norse and Diana is Greek.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-13-2022 at 03:21 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wasn't it Spoiler, not PG? Or did it happen more than once?.
    No, it was Power Girl. I don't know about Spoiler specifics, but in the case of Power Girl, there was a magic pregnancy,(remember, the child was born during Zero Hour) and the kid left to fight against an evil called Scarabus (great design on that villian, by the way) . On the positive, he didn't tried to seduce his mother, like in the marvelous side of the street.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-13-2022 at 03:45 PM.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Spoiler's was in the late 90s. Tim of course was scared that he'd accidentally left her up the duff, but it turned out an ex-boyfriend from before they met was responsible. She gave birth then put it up for adoption without ever holding it. Didn't even find out the gender. As if they just wanted to forget they ever did that storyline. I'm not sure it's ever been brought up since.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Spoiler's was in the late 90s. Tim of course was scared that he'd accidentally left her up the duff, but it turned out an ex-boyfriend from before they met was responsible. She gave birth then put it up for adoption without ever holding it. Didn't even find out the gender. As if they just wanted to forget they ever did that storyline. I'm not sure it's ever been brought up since.
    I thought that was written by Chuck Dixon, you know, he of the apparent "Heroes shouldn't have sex unless they're married, and Tim Drake is saving himself for marriage, and homosexuality shouldn't be even acknowledged in comics because I don't want my kids to find out about that icky stuff from anybody but me" mindset.

Wow, he really thought that? He must be foaming at the mouth now that Tim has been revealed to be bisexual!

The first post example is actually out of left field as Carol Danvers is even closer to the OTHER Kara. Supergirl goes by Kara Danvers nowadays, originally in the silver age it was Linda Lee Danvers (I guess they thought Kara was too exotic at the time, but nowadays it's fine as an Earth name), so they have the same human last name. Carol and Kara are also similar sounding names. Carol's name was also retconned as being an Anglicisation of a Kree name, Car-Ell. Which sounds like a shortened version of Kara Zor-El. That same retcon also made Carol half-Kree and of course Kara is also an alien.

Wonder Girl Cassie Sandsmark and Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan. Both are fangirls who became superheroes. They're so similar that in last year's Heroes Reborn event, Kamala was basically given Cassie's original origin as Girl Power, sidekick of Wonder Woman's counterpart Power Princess. Cassie and Kamala have both also led teen teams (both Young Justice and Teen Titans, and the Champions).

The New Warriors and the Teen Titans

Both are superhero teams that started out as teenagers and became young adults. The New Warriors debuted in the late 80s just as the Teen Titans were transitioning into the 90s. There is also a lot of overlap in the founding members: a non-powered hero (Dick, Dwayne), an Atlantean (Namorita, Garth), a flying brick whose powers have evolved and changed over the years (Donna, Richard).

Boisterously Confused

Once upon a time, Batman and Moon Knight were very similar, but not identical; more like sharing a common ancestor in The Shadow. Both were wealthy vigilantes, using an array of gadgets and supernatural imagery in a war on crime. Both highly skilled, but mortal, and often making use of disguises and a support network of aides in their work.

Their backstories, motivations and personas, however, were quite distinct. Moreover, that was a long time ago, and they've each evolved in very different ways since the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The New Warriors and the Teen Titans

Both are superhero teams that started out as teenagers and became young adults. The New Warriors debuted in the late 80s just as the Teen Titans were transitioning into the 90s. There is also a lot of overlap in the founding members: a non-powered hero (Dick, Dwayne), an Atlantean (Namorita, Garth), a flying brick whose powers have evolved and changed over the years (Donna, Richard).
    Dick and Dwayne both used staves as their weapon of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Once upon a time, Batman and Moon Knight were very similar, but not identical; more like sharing a common ancestor in The Shadow. Both were wealthy vigilantes, using an array of gadgets and supernatural imagery in a war on crime. Both highly skilled, but mortal, and often making use of disguises and a support network of aides in their work.

Their backstories, motivations and personas, however, were quite distinct. Moreover, that was a long time ago, and they've each evolved in very different ways since the 1970s.
    Isn't everyone a wealthy vigilante?

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Isn't everyone a wealthy vigilante?
    Well, being vigilante demands money. That batmobile must spend a lot of fuel to work.