Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Spectre and Ghost Rider

Punisher and Jonah Hex.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Spectre and Ghost Rider

Punisher and Jonah Hex.
    I don't really see your reasoning here. Other than "vengeance," I don't really see how the Spectre and Ghost Rider are parallels of each other. And I see it even less with Jonah Hex and the Punisher. Jonah's a gunslinging cowboy from the 19th century who often worked as a bounty hunter; his mindset and attitudes are not just shaped by his times but are often typical of his times. Frank Castle, on the other hand, is a one-man total outlier of whatever era/year/decade he's in. Could you explain your reasoning here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Spectre and Ghost Rider
    Spectre Ghost Riders as agents of supernatural forces on a path of vengeance, I can see certain parallel there. Spectre lacks the road movie feeling of Ghost Rider and Ghost Rider lacks the cosmic pedigree of Spectre.

Punisher and Jonah Hex.
    Punisher Jonah Hex... outside both being people with guns I don't see deeper parallels.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) and Spider-Man (Miles Morales). A diverse character who took on the mantle of a deceased hero.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Solomon Grundy and The Hulk. Two human men transformed into giant rampaging monster but through different means. Cyrus Gold was murdered and his body was changed into Grundy by the magic of Slaughter Swamp and The Green. Bruce Banner was caught in the middle of a gama bomb. So a supernatural Golden Age origin and a Silver Age super science accident origin.

Banner/Hulk has several different personalities because of repressed childhood trauma and other psychological factors. Grundy is slightly different every time he emerges from Slaughter Swamp. Most times the monsters’ personalities are savage and destructive, sometimes they’re gentle, and sometimes they’re even mob bosses.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Thor and Shazam(captain marvel).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The New Warriors and the Teen Titans

Both are superhero teams that started out as teenagers and became young adults. The New Warriors debuted in the late 80s just as the Teen Titans were transitioning into the 90s. There is also a lot of overlap in the founding members: a non-powered hero (Dick, Dwayne), an Atlantean (Namorita, Garth), a flying brick whose powers have evolved and changed over the years (Donna, Richard).
    Yeah, the New Warriors felt like they were really leaning into that Teen Titans vibe (which I appreciated). In addition to the non-powered leader, etc. Speedball felt very much like Changeling, personality-wise, as the irreverant wise-cracker. Silhouette was introduced later, but also gave me some Raven vibes, and not just because they both had shadowy teleportation schticks.

That was definitely the idea. New Titans was starting to derail after Crisis (though it wouldn't be cancelled until 1996) and Marvel hoped to grab some of the audience I guess. It worked, because New Warriors did run for about six years (ended around the same time New Titans did).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman