Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My Oath of Non-Interference precludes me from being involved in human political organizations.
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    My Oath of Non-Interference precludes me from being involved in human political organizations.
    Fiddlesticks. The Watcher treats those Oaths like Guidelines often enough that I could see him developing a preference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post

The Hulk is a member of the Green party.

Bruce Wayne seems to me like someone who would not care much for presidential elections, just for those that concern Gotham, like mayors. And he would probably not pick whom he votes for based on party, but by who is less corrupt and cares more about the city. Gotham in general seems quite removed from the rest of the country.

Most X-Men, I think are too disillusioned to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    And surprisingly... Wonder Woman is a Republican.
    WTF?

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What about JJ. He was mayor but I dont remember them saying for what party.

I know he fought for civil liberties and hates racists and bigots. So maybe Dem?
    I've only read one Spider-Man story from way back in 70's (around the death of Gwen Stacy's father), but JJ seemed to me like the example of a honest, moral republican (a relic of it's time I think). Right-wing politics, strong belief in the rule of law, but firmly against racism and discrimination. But that's just my take from that and the adaptations.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post
    Bruce Wayne seems to me like someone who would not care much for presidential elections, just for those that concern Gotham, like mayors. And he would probably not pick whom he votes for based on party, but by who is less corrupt and cares more about the city. Gotham in general seems quite removed from the rest of the country.
    I had to think about this one a bit. I can see Bruce Wayne holding no formal party membership, but lavishing dark money on both. Some of that would be in hopes of steering policy, and some about the degree of meddling expected of a corporate tycoon, but mainly it would be about getting the kind of access to information Batman would find useful.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I don't think anyone is surprised that Peter Parker is a Democrat

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 08-16-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post

(Sorry/Not Sorry, I will never not take the opportunity to share those Snake Reagans panels.)
    ^^^Same w. me and Reagan naming Booster Gold!

Superman in the Silver Age, during the early sixties, is a Democrat and I bet Clark Kent voted for JFK. Why? Because he trusted JFK up to the point he revealed his secret identity to the president. Superman even told him "If you can't trust the president of the United States, who can you trust?"

I'd love to see him say the exact same words to President Lex Luthor.

BANNED

Back in those days it was expected that mainstream characters would trust the President and authority in general. Even after Nixon, as shown by the Booster Gold scene above or Rogue and the plane with Reagan, you wouldn't see the President as someone you couldn't trust with a state secret.

Can't imagine even a Trump supporting superhero being willing to share their secret identity with him, though. Then again, didn't see them voting for him so who knows?

Astonishing Member

Is Rhino a real Republican, or is he a Republican In Name Only?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady in training View Post

Most X-Men, I think are too disillusioned to vote.
    I sort of half remember a Cyclops mini series back in the black leather days where on the splash page he's fighting a sentinel and says something like, "See, this is why I voted democrat..."

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Back in those days it was expected that mainstream characters would trust the President and authority in general. Even after Nixon, as shown by the Booster Gold scene above or Rogue and the plane with Reagan, you wouldn't see the President as someone you couldn't trust with a state secret.

Yes, that is why Captain America/Steve Rogers, a soldier in the US Army, was willing to share his secret identity with FDR who is his commander-in-chief.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    Can't imagine even a Trump supporting superhero being willing to share their secret identity with him, though. Then again, didn't see them voting for him so who knows?
    a hillbilly and 100% patriotic American like USAGent/Johnny Walker would be willing to share his secret identity with him except that he does not have a secret identity. If USAgent Johnny Walker was dumb enough to share his secret identity with a low-level government agent like Val Cooper because he trusts anyone from the US government, he was also dumb enough to trust Trump to protect his secret identity, because he is the president. Of course that would happen if Johnny still had his secret identity..
    Last edited by Zauriel; 08-28-2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: shoulda added a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I sort of half remember a Cyclops mini series back in the black leather days where on the splash page he's fighting a sentinel and says something like, "See, this is why I voted democrat..."
    Specifically, he said "That's why I never vote Republican" in response to his inner monologue remembering a Reagan quote about leadership.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Yes, that is why Captain America/Steve Rogers, a soldier in the US Army, was willing to share his secret identity with FDR who is his commander-in-chief.

a hillbilly and 100% patriotic American like USAGent/Johnny Walker would be willing to share his secret identity with him except that he does not have a secret identity. If USAgent Johnny Walker was dumb enough to share his secret identity with a low-level government agent like Val Cooper because he trusts anyone from the US government, he was also dumb enough to trust Trump to protect his secret identity, because he is the president. Of course that would happen if Johnny still had his secret identity..
    I don't know, this is where the concept of a superhero/soldier specifically is interesting and really even more contradictory than our typical superheroes who are at once vigilantes but also never truly at odds with the institutional power structure ... the thing is, a soldier is supposed to follow orders. I mean, you're not a robot, you need to be able to think (are even expected to) and you're not meant to follow unlawful orders ... but yeah, so long as it's not like gunning down civilians, a soldier isn't supposed to question orders that came from on high, and they sure as heck are not meant to disobey them (much as that is super common in our fiction).

So how is a guy who follows orders any kind of vigilante? I think this is why John Walker was introduced, and they let Cap be Nomad for a while. Ultimately, it had to be made clear that when it came to sense of following orders at least, Steve Rogers is primarily a superhero, however he came by the powers. He will take off the uniform before he follows orders he disagrees with -- and we generally consider that heroic, in the world of comics -- but the military would never work at all, if people didn't follow orders; that is, if soldiers didn't. People can do whatever they want. Soldiers do their job, or they don't wear the uniform.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine