Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Guardians of the Galaxy #19

This September, the truth behind Nova, Star-Lord and Thanos' disappearance continues in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #19 - a tie-in to Original Sin! New York Times-bestselling creators Brian Michael Bendis and Ed McGuinness bring you the answers fans have been craving -what happened to Richard Rider?! Trapped in a nightmare universe, Star-Lord and Nova fought valiantly against the might of Thanos. Peter Quill and Thanos mysteriously returned without explanation - Nova did not. The true story of their hellish imprisonment has never been told - until today! Gamora demands answers, and she won't stop until she finds out what happened in the Cancerverse! What pact did Star-Lord make with Thanos to escape such imprisonment? Where is Nova? Find out when the story that has the whole comic industry talking continues in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #19!

Full preview here.

Cancerverse Revengers!

so, now he was blonde before the bendis series? i thought for sure there would be a scene at the end showing him bleaching his hair to symbolically remove the filth from his soul and become a new man.

I am following this story with equal parts anticipation and dread.

Richard Rider was EASILY my favorite Marvel hero after he almost single-handily brought the cosmic side of Marvel comics kicking and screaming back into relevance. It was Annihilation and its ilk that made movies like Guardians of the Galaxy a reality in the first place due to the excellent stories it spawned.

So, more than anything, I want Richard Rider back, kicking ass, and taking names as the top-tier A-list hero he evolved into... because the new kid Nova really hasn't come close to scratching that itch.

And that's why it's both a joy to see Richard in the comics again... yet a horrid fear that this may be them screwing him (and his fans) over by just closing the book on him and forcing the Poochy version down our throats (sorry, I tried SO hard to like Sam, but it just isn't working...)

This isn't helped by such little things as misspelling Richard's name in the last issue, the strange inconsistencies in character portrayals and appearance (why is Peter blonde in these flashbacks? I own the comic this story is referencing and he sure wasn't blonde in it), and the utter lack of any and all Richard Rider news or appearances for the foreseeable future in their release schedule...

So it's like going to a reunion party to see your best friend, only you find someone else claiming to be your best friend, telling you your best friend actually probably died horribly failing to save the day, but he'll stretch this story out for months and years while asking you to like him as much as the guy he replaced...

But, who knows... Every writer has a good story and a bad story in him. Sure, we get our One More Days, but we also get our Annihilations and our Winter Soldiers. I just seriously hope Nova winds up on the right side of comic decisions with a triumphant return, because he's what got me into comics again, and his absence is one reason I'm not currently reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    I am following this story with equal parts anticipation and dread.

Richard Rider was EASILY my favorite Marvel hero after he almost single-handily brought the cosmic side of Marvel comics kicking and screaming back into relevance. It was Annihilation and its ilk that made movies like Guardians of the Galaxy a reality in the first place due to the excellent stories it spawned.

So, more than anything, I want Richard Rider back, kicking ass, and taking names as the top-tier A-list hero he evolved into... because the new kid Nova really hasn't come close to scratching that itch.

And that's why it's both a joy to see Richard in the comics again... yet a horrid fear that this may be them screwing him (and his fans) over by just closing the book on him and forcing the Poochy version down our throats (sorry, I tried SO hard to like Sam, but it just isn't working...)

This isn't helped by such little things as misspelling Richard's name in the last issue, the strange inconsistencies in character portrayals and appearance (why is Peter blonde in these flashbacks? I own the comic this story is referencing and he sure wasn't blonde in it), and the utter lack of any and all Richard Rider news or appearances for the foreseeable future in their release schedule...

So it's like going to a reunion party to see your best friend, only you find someone else claiming to be your best friend, telling you your best friend actually probably died horribly failing to save the day, but he'll stretch this story out for months and years while asking you to like him as much as the guy he replaced...

But, who knows... Every writer has a good story and a bad story in him. Sure, we get our One More Days, but we also get our Annihilations and our Winter Soldiers. I just seriously hope Nova winds up on the right side of comic decisions with a triumphant return, because he's what got me into comics again, and his absence is one reason I'm not currently reading them.
    It is a problem. I think Thanos and Star Lord were jumped out of the Cancerverse, the same way Galactus and Angela were jumped out of their universes, because of Age of Ultron busting Space-Time, so I'd say Rich was one that was left behind when that all happened. I don't think we will get any better an explanation than that.

But certainly that warning, by Beast in AoU #10, (about there being more realities that could have been affected) did produce Infinity and the Cabal because of Thanos, and also the Guardians of the Galaxy helping Space Iron Man and Angela because of Star Lord and Drax, and now Asgardian Heven and Culs release, because of Angela. All these effects and consequences are a direct result of that breaking of Space-Time Event at the end of AoU.
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-02-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by malreyn View Post
    so, now he was blonde before the bendis series? i thought for sure there would be a scene at the end showing him bleaching his hair to symbolically remove the filth from his soul and become a new man.
    Or you can take it as the Cosmic Cube or Cancerverse turning him blonde :lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by malreyn View Post
    Not to mention younger. The Peter Quill who was re-introduced to the MU back in Annihilation was clearly a 40 something year old man. He practically oozed the term grizzled. Now he looks like a generic 20 something which makes no sense on that front and the fact that Kitty Pryde is interested in him since Kitty has never ever been interested in any kind of age appropriate relationship as she's always gone for the much older guys.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Not to mention younger. The Peter Quill who was re-introduced to the MU back in Annihilation was clearly a 40 something year old man. He practically oozed the term grizzled. Now he looks like a generic 20 something which makes no sense on that front and the fact that Kitty Pryde is interested in him since Kitty has never ever been interested in any kind of age appropriate relationship as she's always gone for the much older guys.
    This weeks Axel in Charge shows Thanos in his altered "Nova Garb". It definitely appears that Rich has been absorbed. The preview is from the Legendary Starlord #4

It looks as if Thanos is using the Nova Force, because he looks like he is very happy with the power he just shot out of his eyes. And his suit is different than what he was wearing at the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy #18. Rich gave him a power upgrade, just like Quasar gave Annihilus an upgrade during Annihilation.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55324

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    This weeks Axel in Charge shows Thanos in his altered "Nova Garb". It definitely appears that Rich has been absorbed. The preview is from the Legendary Starlord #4

It looks as if Thanos is using the Nova Force, because he looks like he is very happy with the power he just shot out of his eyes. And his suit is different than what he was wearing at the beginning of Guardians of the Galaxy #18. Rich gave him a power upgrade, just like Quasar gave Annihilus an upgrade during Annihilation.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=55324
    You might be on to something, though his costume in Avengers Assembled (his 1st appearance since TI) he was still in his classic garb. He 1st appears in this modern rendtion during Infinity.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymousmc View Post
    You might be on to something, though his costume in Avengers Assembled (his 1st appearance since TI) he was still in his classic garb. He 1st appears in this modern rendtion during Infinity.
    Infinity was where a number of us noticed and said "he absorbed Richard Rider."

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

The absorption thing would work better if both Thanos and Star Lord have a bit of Rich in them.

Especially if Star Lord screwed Rich and sided with Thanos to take the opportunity to escape. That's be a pretty big sin.....
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

no one says he had to actually absorb rich...but nova force only maybe..

The absorption theory and the "Jesse is Rich" theory could both agree

We are still running away from the fact Rider is shown when time is broken in AoU..which implies he gets thrown through time somehow