Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which DC tech has the most potential for positive change for the "real world"

There is so much tech the heroes have access tech (antigrav, amazingly efficient energy, all sorts of medical treatments) to that could change the world. And I mean in the day-to-day sense of the civilian world, not military activity. Some of them are ones that appropriately made difficult or impossible to commercialize - alien-created, very rare components, killed the creator, etc. But others seem cheap enough for a non-wealthy person to invent and and build and wouldn't be difficult to market and make a fortune with. And some have even been in governmental hands (especially when they catch the villains that use them), but they never make it to the general population, because then the DC world would be way too different than our world.

Anyway, I was just curious as to which technology you think being made public would make the most positive sort of difference in the world.

I actually got started thinking on this when reading an early post-COIE bit on Karen Beecher Duncan and it said her antennae had solar panel endings and that was the power source and I started to think of the implications of that surface area generating enough power for a person to fly (and appropriately battery tech existing) and it being affordable enough for her to build when she did. And that tech being introduced all those years ago. Then I just starting thinking about how many others there were. And the effect of lowering emissions and climate change and so forth. Talk about reshaping the world. And the impact on geopolitics...not all positive.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Amazonian purple ray.
    Assassinate Putin!

There is SO much! NeW Gods tech, Thanagarian tech, Angel tech, HSan Natl crap, Atlantean tech, Technocine empire, Starr tech, Star Labs tech, Terrific tech, Technocrat tech, Collective tech, Sangtee tech, Citizenry tech, Luthor tech, Wayne tech, Green Lantern tech, and Amazon tech and so much more.

I'm gonna say Ted Knight's cosmic technology.

Solar power, but a hundred times more efficient. That can power everything from your watch to your phone to your car to your house. Your clothes can provide force field protection from the elements. Your car can fly. And this crap was invented in the 1940's. Imagine how efficient it'd be today, how fine-tuned and streamlined. That's the game changer right there, that's unlimited clean energy with virtually no environmental side effects. And it can be applied to every kind of industry, every kind of technological and social need.

In the comics, a relatively small charging panel the size of someone's head allows them to fly and rival the raw power of alien demigods (or at least blast them hard enough they feel it). Most things in the world don't need that much juice. Your car doesn't require a tenth of that, a whole factory maybe half of it. A single football field sized panel could likely power an entire continent, forever.

And it was invented by a regular human, using regular human resources. No exotic matter, no impossible to find alien space rocks or magic relics required. No scarcity of resource will prevent cosmic tech from expanding throughout civilization. And because this is Ted Knight and we know him to be a hero, we can assume that he'd have done what Tesla attempted to do and give this technology out for free (or almost free, a man's gotta eat) and ensure everyone on earth has access to it.

Amazonian purple ray technology would be an incredible game changer for medical fields, and that would ripple across the rest of the socio-economic landscape in huge ways. But all those new purple ray devices being used in hospitals around the world? They'd run on Knight cosmic energy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

And it was invented by a regular human, using regular human resources. No exotic matter, no impossible to find alien space rocks or magic relics required. No scarcity of resource will prevent cosmic tech from expanding throughout civilization.
    Thanks. This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Something doable, if you know what I mean - not dropping a laptop in the middle ages (which is what some of the alien tech is to normal earth tech) and expecting the people there to be able to reproduce it.

Maybe not the best one, but I would like to see Police across the world to implement Non Lethal Electric Guns as their main inventory

Isn't that called a taser?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

9th metal.
    Legion rings.

We wouldn't need stupid boring cars anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Isn't that called a taser?
    Well You can say improved taser with increased effective range and mass produced to replace firearms

green lantern rings
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    green lantern rings
    I was about to say the same thing.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Legion rings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    improved taser with increased effective range
    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    green lantern rings
    All wildly rare and difficult to duplicate and/or operate. Well, except the improved taser anyway.

But every single power described above? Can be simulated with Knight cosmic technology, mass produced, and operated by anyone with thumbs.

Actually....I rarely read the Legion of Super-Heroes. Did they ever get into who invented the flight rings, and how? Ted Knight made the belt that the Star-Spangled Kid wore, and Courtney wears now, and it provided flight and force fields. Maybe the Legion ring was based on Knight's work? Those Legion kids were obsessed with Superman and the Heroic Age, and DC 1 Million claims the Knight name lives on, so....maybe?

Sorry I know I'm hitting that Ted Knight note real hard. But dude doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

Oh, another idea is the Lazarus resin. Or pill, or whatever they've turned it into. Azreal's new mini introduced me to the idea of the Pits being synthesized, and I hear the Robin title was dealing with that too? If the properties of a Lazarus Pit could be replicated and modified, that'd be as big a shift in the medical field as purple rays.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Actually....I rarely read the Legion of Super-Heroes. Did they ever get into who invented the flight rings, and how?
    I never read it, either, but in the 1980s Booster Gold comics, Brainiac 5 said he invented them, if I recall correctly. And he invented them in the 30th century, so was mildly curious as to how one ended up in a museum in the 25th century.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Brother Eye.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Barbara's spinal implant