Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Disappointed they didn't use an updated version of the tv show theme Unknown Stuntman in the trailer instead of Bon Jovi.
    That might still be coming ... but did they not watch the original TV show? Like at all?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Mighty Member

Should do a crossover with Bryan Brown from the FX movies...

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    ^^^Wow.

So, a movie that could’ve been called literally ANYTHING ELSE, because it has Jack all to do w. the cult classic TV show.

Way to point and laugh at a small but dedicated fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Wow.

So, a movie that could’ve been called literally ANYTHING ELSE, because it has Jack all to do w. the cult classic TV show.

Way to point and laugh at a small but dedicated fan base.
    Rigt, they could have called it "The Unknown Stuntman" and it would have worked just as well.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Stuntman=check
    Truck=check

That's all I spotted that pays the slightest nod to The Fall Guy. This could literally be called anything.
    • Shelved
    • Development Hell
    • The Denouement
    • Plot Twist

It is an action movie about a missing lead Hollywood actor. Literally name it anything because this trailer is as thin a veneer for The Fall Guy as could be.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

When fall guy met the hulk!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Stuntman=check
    Truck=check

That's all I spotted that pays the slightest nod to The Fall Guy. This could literally be called anything.
    • Shelved
    • Development Hell
    • The Denouement
    • Plot Twist

It is an action movie about a missing lead Hollywood actor. Literally name it anything because this trailer is as thin a veneer for The Fall Guy as could be.
    ^^^Agreed across the board.

Speaking as someone who’s not in the entertainment industry and really has no idea how these decisions get made, at what point does the movie stray so far from the source material that they may as well just name it something else?
    And why don’t they just do that?

I remember watching Godzilla (1998) and thinking, “This was a good monster movie. Lots of action, humor, the effects were on point. It wasn’t Godzilla, though”.

^^^Agreed across the board.

Speaking as someone who’s not in the entertainment industry and really has no idea how these decisions get made, at what point does the movie stray so far from the source material that they may as well just name it something else?
    And why don’t they just do that?

I remember watching Godzilla (1998) and thinking, “This was a good monster movie. Lots of action, humor, the effects were on point. It wasn’t Godzilla, though”.
    They’ll never do that. Starship Troopers was an original script they couldn’t get funding for until they tacked the license for the (superficially similar) book onto it.

Don’t agree that the Broderick Godzilla was any good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They’ll never do that. Starship Troopers was an original script they couldn’t get funding for until they tacked the license for the (superficially similar) book onto it.

^^^I have a soft spot for Starship Troopers though yeah, it’s a good example of what I was talking about.

But let’s get back to The Fall Guy movie!

My first thought on seeing Ryan Gosling was, “he’s too young”. Turns out he’s about a year older than Lee Majors was when the show started.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    That might still be coming ... but did they not watch the original TV show? Like at all?
    I might start watching it when it comes on a streaming service but it seems to have no connection at all to the characters from the show. I might proceed to stop watching it ounce that becomes undeniable. At least give me a Lee Majors as retired stuntman Colt Seavers cameo.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post

Having read the book and then, years later, seeing the movie, I never watched any of the Starship Troopers movies after the first one. Superficial is about right. But I guess it's often a Catch-22 because they have to get name recognition. Of course, since it then became a part of the ST plot, but left out everything of substance...
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    At least give me a Lee Majors as retired stuntman Colt Seavers cameo.
    ^^^Well he’s supposed to have a cameo yeah. Hopefully better than Dirk Benedict’s blink and you’ll miss it A-Team movie appearance.

I get that it doesn't exactly look like what some of us know/remember as The Fall Guy, but has anyone considered that perhaps they're setting up the premise of the show; a stuntman who moonlights as a bounty hunter? Like, maybe this is the thing the sets Colt on that path. Maybe they're laying the groundwork for another or more films if it turns out to be a success.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

My first thought on seeing Ryan Gosling was, “he’s too young”. Turns out he’s about a year older than Lee Majors was when the show started.
    Wha-wha-what?!? That blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Wha-wha-what?!? That blows my mind.
    ^^^Same here!