Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Lois and Jimmy's friendship resembles that of Batman and Superman, the former are more bosses than friends, the latter have a weak personality, they are friends in the comic, in the real world they would not be.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Lois and Jimmy's friendship resembles that of Batman and Superman, the former are more bosses than friends, the latter have a weak personality, they are friends in the comic, in the real world they would not be.
    Of course they wouldn't be friends in the real world.

They don't exist.

This is a really interesting thread. Because she kinda doesn't. Any relationship she might have with Selina or Diana is more said than explored, and even then would be more friendship by extension anyway. I can't think of any friends of hers outside of Jimmy, who hasn't really been utilized that well in a consistent manner since the triangle era.

If I had to make a friend for her I certainly wouldn't pick anyone from the Bat line because it's too permeated into Superman books as it is. He's always showing up and there needs to be less of that, not more. Honestly a brand new character just for this purpose should be created.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-15-2022 at 01:19 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay tangentially related but its came up to mind.

In Bendis' Justice League he suddenly introduced a brother of all things to Lois, Leonardo Lane a secret agent assassin trained by Sam Lane who operates under the codename Daemon Rose.

Has that guy actually ever been mentioned in any Superman books since then or is it entirely contained to Bendis' books?

Astonishing Member

Lois really doesn't do "friendship" all that well. After all, we have been agreeing that Lois and Jimmy are in fact friends, but he still calls her "Miss Lane" even when it's just the two of them together.

BANNED

Probably Cat Grant or a unnamed minor character she hangs out with off panel without her hubby and now son knowing about it. Really sad a character with her zest for life and charisma has no friends. Must be a comicbook side character thing relating towards work experience from writers.

Now that I think about it the women she usually interacts with are usually extensions of Clark (co-workers, female heroes, ex-girlfriends).

Y'know if they'd actually capitalized on Lois as Superwoman instead of the Lana bait and switch maybe we would've seen her with friends! Although I don't think Lana had much of a life outside Steel and her costume in that book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

In Bendis' Justice League he suddenly introduced a brother of all things to Lois, Leonardo Lane a secret agent assassin trained by Sam Lane who operates under the codename Daemon Rose.

Has that guy actually ever been mentioned in any Superman books since then or is it entirely contained to Bendis' books?
    We're just going to pretend that didn't happen .

There's actually this weird trend of black female reporters (who all happen to be Lois' friends) who's eventually forgotten and later replaced by another black woman, the latest being Jackee Winters (created by Geoff Johns back in his New 52 run, having still small appearances in Jurgens' run and later erased and "replaced" by Robinson Goode in Bendis' run): http://www.bookofpdr.com/2018/09/29/...-daily-planet/
    "Keep flying; keep fighting; keep loving; keep smiling. You won’t always be right, but you don’t have to be. Be just. Be fair. Be good. Be brave. Be Superman." - Bryan Q. Miller.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I always saw their relationship as more mentor/mentee.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yeah!i kinda see it..poor jimmy.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

One version of Superwoman was actually Lois's sister. They didn't like each other though.

Doesn't Lana Lang count? perhaps not a "close" friend, but a friend?

I feel like Lois in real life would be too busy to have friends
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I feel like Lois in real life would be too busy to have friends
    No, people like her IRL can't live without friends. Her job is all about interacting with other people. This doesn't mean close confidant... but... people who like her. Thing is... most of them aren't superheores, and thus you almost never see them.

I don't watch Superman & Lois because I don't support the current direction of trying to normalize Superdad, so I can't comment on what's happening there. I think a TV show that was mean to revolve around the two's relationship should feature actual friends that Lois met personally or professionally if you want her to feel like an actual person.

The problem for movies and comics is that you get so few panels or minutes of screen time to feature such minor characters that they can't really be fleshed out. They should exist, but be relegated to the background.

I think it's good if Lois interacts with Lana or Wonder Woman but they shouldn't be particularly close. The one exception I might make is Kara if you chose to make Kara and Kal closer in age. But Kara would be in addition to the friends Lois has, not be a replacement for any other characters.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    No, people like her IRL can't live without friends. Her job is all about interacting with other people.
    And interacting with other people as part of your job can take the place of personal friendship. As I said earlier, Lois cultivates sources, not friends.