Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Does Lois Lane have any actual friends?

No, seriously: in her 84+ year history, who are Lois Lane's friends?

Not the family she came from:
    dad Sam, sister Lucy, and sometimes mom Ella.

Not the family she made:
    husband Clark, son Jon; in-laws Jon and Martha, Kara, Krypto.

Not the friends who are mainly Clark's:
    Jimmy Olsen, John Henry Irons. Conner, Mon-El, Power Girl, Lana Lang.

Her own friends? Cat Grant isn't a friend, much more of a rival,, Perry White is her boss Not her friend.

Is Lois Lane friendless?

Let's fix that.

Who can be Lois' platonic friend(s)? Someone(s) who is not friends first with Clark.

I'll start the Nominations.

My top pick for Lois Lane's best friend is .... Selina Kyle.

I'd either start in-continuity by having them talk and hang out a lot without Clark or Bruce around.

Or any new Superman project (movie, show, cartoon, video game, etc), establish that Lois and Selina have been besties since high school despite living in cities separated by a bay (think San Francisco and Oakland).

I guess you could make the argument that Lois is a workaholic that she was never afforded much time to socialize beyond her co-workers.

I mean, Ron Troupe maybe? Lombard on a good day?

I feel like Post-Crisis during maybe the Triangle era they might've established she had some personal friends...like at her bachelorette party? I think her sister, Maggie Sawyer, and some other women were there.

She’s usually depicted as career minded to the extent she doesn’t have much of a social life outside of work. She and Jimmy are friends however, and usually their friendship exists before Clark appears, so I’d argue Jimmy counts. Lois and Selina being friends was one of King’s best ideas, I like it a lot. They’re very similar once you look past the details of one being a thief and the other being a journalist.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    She’s usually depicted as career minded to the extent she doesn’t have much of a social life outside of work. She and Jimmy are friends however, and usually their friendship exists before Clark appears, so I’d argue Jimmy counts. Lois and Selina being friends was one of King’s best ideas, I like it a lot. They’re very similar once you look past the details of one being a thief and the other being a journalist.
    Hmm...

- Dark hair.

- Big sisters.

- Used to getting themselves out of scrapes.

- Care about womens' issues.

- Generally regarded as the most attractive woman in a room ().

Although Lois' probably had a more conventional upbringing compared to Selina even with her daddy issues.

Astonishing Member

Although Diana was of course Clark's friend rather than Lois's, and although Lois has felt resentful of that and sometimes more than a bit jealous, they have developed a strong mutual respect over the years that I would say has become friendship.

That said, Lois is driven in her career as a reporter, and that will also take priority over her private life. Lois collects sources, not friends.
    Last edited by seismic-2; 08-14-2022 at 03:03 PM.

BANNED

Lois has no friends, her personality is unbearable, once you get to know her things change and you see that she is not so bad, but for that you have to know her.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I think that's one of the character flaws in Lois. She is to busy with her career that she can be stand-offish and thus her social circle is next to non-existent or mostly heroes that she's met and connected with through Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Lois has no friends, her personality is unbearable, once you get to know her things change and you see that she is not so bad, but for that you have to know her.
    I don't know if I'd go that far. I guess she can come off kind of prickly.

Incredible Member

For a brief period of time in the early 1970's she was friend with black journalists and civil rights activists Dave Stevens and Tina Ames. Yes, I'm aware most people like to forget that whole storyline existed for understandable reasons, but there's a very interesting story there underneath all the unfortunate choices (of which there were many).

Then, for another brief period of time, she was friends and roommates with a woman called Julie Spence, who saved her from being mugged through martial arts. She was also roommates with other two women called Marsha Mallow and Kristin Cutler, but I'm not sure if I'd call them "friends".

I'm not exactly sure how long these relationships lasted, but they were there, and part of some rather interesting Lois Lane solo storylines.

Astonishing Member

Depending on the continuity I'm not sure where Jimmy fits in. Some stories seem to have Lois and Jimmy already at least in the "work-friend" area prior to Clark even arriving. While the "Superman's Pal" bit and the focus of Jimmy with both Clark and Superman makes it seem like JImmy would be more Clark's friend than Lois' I still think of Lois and Jimmy more from the zany 50's show as partners in getting themselves into trouble than two separate friends of Clark's. I can see an argument for Jimmy being a longer and in some ways closer friend to Lois.

And if i had to give her a DC heroverse friend I'd rather go with Iris West. Two established reporters whose husbands are major superheroes, seems like a good beginning for a friendship. At present they could console/support each other during the whole "Death of the JLA" storyline. At other points it could just be someone who understands situations ("If you knew how many dates Barry missed, Lois", "Iris, it sucks having to keep a wall between what we know as wives and what we can actually report doesn't it").

And i also wouldn't mind lois getting more friends not tied to the superhero community. Old classmates, fellow reporters (besides Iris) based in other cities, old neighbors from when she was still single, mothers of Jon's old school mates....

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

How many DC love interests actually have friends? Probably only Catwoman since she has her own book.
    "Cable was right!"

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Although Diana was of course Clark's friend rather than Lois's, and although Lois has felt resentful of that and sometimes more than a bit jealous, they have developed a strong mutual respect over the years that I would say has become friendship.

That said, Lois is driven in her career as a reporter, and that will also take priority over her private life. Lois collects sources, not friends.
    If I recall correctly during Post-Crisis and Perez's run, Diana may've known Lois before Clark, which is even more interesting.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How many DC love interests actually have friends? Probably only Catwoman since she has her own book.
    Yeah! I remember Selina had a friend in Holly Robinson

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-15-2022 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.

Lois definitely seems like the type who's so married to their work that they don't really have time for a social life outside of it. Hell, that's even where she met her husband. And her boss is the godfather of her child. Outside of Selina, and sometimes Diana, the only consistent example of Lois having a friend is Jimmy (who I would 100% count as her friend and not just someone she associates with because of Clark)

I love the Lois/Selina friendship. Even if it does seem a little too cliche to not only have Batman and Superman's sons be best friends, but their wives too.
    Last edited by Blue22; 08-15-2022 at 08:17 AM.

Spectacular Member

Superman Vol 1 issue 61 introduced Lois' best friend and roommate, Peggy Wilkins, who made three appearances over the next year, with a major role in one. I think she had a different roommate in a story before then, but I don't remember.
    Then, of course, in 1972 she moved into a new apartment with Julie Spence, Marsha Mallow and Kristin Cutler, who made occasional appearances up to the crisis.
    And, of course, if you go through every story (books, strip, radio, tv, etc.) I'm sure you can come up with another handful
    Last edited by Filbert; 08-15-2022 at 08:46 AM.