Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Max Lord neck snap pretty much derailed all the more interesting stuff that was going on in Rucka's WW run and the character for pretty much the remainder of the Pre-New 52 years.
    Definitely one of mine too. Diana was shoehorned into a plot point that didn’t reflect her character.

Truncating the War of the Gods event instead of letting Diana and other characters shine as the heroes most involved in the story.

Doing what was done in Amazons Attack instead of having the themes play out in an organic way with the plot points Rucka was sharing in the pages of WONDER WOMAN.

Giving Diana a twin brother.

Far too many Who is Donna Troy? stories.

As you can see I have a lot of Amazon agonies.

Not having Bruce and Selina tie the knot.

Making Kate Kane’s dad a villain.

De-aging Raven.

Not establishing Katar Hol and Shayera Thal as another pair of Hawks during the Return of Hawkman storyline.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Most of the story with wrong turn I already found out before buying so I ended up not buying it
    Personal grievance that happened too late for me is the whole Red Hood Teen Titans side of Death of The Family
    Though this one as far as I understand it was because Lobdell was being forced to readjust his story to fit the crossover
    Someone wanted to melt Jason's face (Scott Snyder?)
    That's the instigating event
    The method going there is Joker somehow found out where Starfire's island in the middle of nowhere and steal Jason's Hood
    Then he installed an acid ejector inside the Hood which was set to go off when Jason wore it and finished listening to Joker's message
    Joker's holographic message
    Which he installed in the Hood
    Somehow
    Joker's manipulative, intimidating, uses blackmail left and right, has goons, and a genius in chemistry but there's no hint or establishing story that he can operate futuristic devices
    Especially since this is only his second story in New 52
    So there's no basis for where this ability and devices came from
    It's just random and just there to give Jason's face acid
    Also even though the stolen Hood was in Batman's desk for a whole day after the whole family was kidnapped by Joker no one think to check it out
    This was also the issue where Batman told Jason that while he doesn't like his method he can't deny his effectiveness
    He was talking about murdering criminals by the way
    What the F
    Anyway, that issue single-handedly never made me want to pick up a Red Hood comic again, until Rebirth
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-15-2022 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    The whole "Young Justice heroes aren't SERIOUS enough, they need to be traumatized/forced into 'growing up' and becoming SERIOUS" debacle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog of Thunder View Post
    DC Comics has not been the same, to me, since Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day. It's all been too cynical. The Titans have been been the collective punching bag of every crossover villain since. Donna Troy has never recovered and likely never will.
    Yes, this one is a big one for me. Didio, and Winnick, managed to ruin, not one, not two, but three of my favorite DC books with Graduation Day. Young Justice was always one of my top reads at DC. Granted, a lot of it had to do with the creative team. If PAD and Nauck were leaving the book (and I have no idea if they were or weren't), a new creative team might have ruined it if they didn't manage to keep the tone of the book (which, despite what many claim, was serious enough, with many deep plot-lines being touched upon and solved during the run), however, the book was so good that it deserved a chance at a new direction. If they weren't, it was criminal to mess with perfection. Titans was really going through a rough time, ever since Delvin Grayson left (the book began strong, after the cross-over with the JLA, but failed to keep the rythm) but, dawm, you just needed a strong writer (and maybe a really flashy new artist to bring some attention to it. Love Kitson, but he wasn't really rocking my world on that book) to try something new and different with it, adding some new blood or bringing back old favorites who hadn't had a chance to shine in quite a while. Going back to a sort of "re-do" of the Wolfman/Perez era was, IMHO, a huge mistake. And finally, I cannot convey how much I hated Winnick's Outsider and the way he mistreated the characters of Metamorpho, Arsenal, Jade and, mainly, Nightwing. That was a very sad time for me in my comicbook reading history.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Armageddon 2001 nothing was worse than not making The Monarch Captain Atom in that story. Just a waste.
    I'm two minded about that. True, I didn't like the "fix" they came up with, out of the blue killing Dove and transforming Hawk into a villain that had absolutely nothing to do with him, nor his personality. However, Captain Atom always was a favorite of mine, and while I could see how he could have become Monarch, given his history as a wrongly convicted man who fought so hard to have his life back, I do believe that he'd have the strength in him to turn his back to the temptation. I liked how Cap was set up as sort of being Monarch's nemesis. I also liked when they brought Monarch back as a quantum clone (or was Cap the real quantum clone?) of the original Nathaniel Adam, linking Monarch even more closely to Captain Atom. Then, they finally made Cap Monarch post Infinite Crisis. In fact, I loved the concept of Monarch, and I think he had the potential to be a HUGE DC villain. Sadly, his story became way too much convulted, and IMHO, the character never lived up to his true potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Doomsday Clock, when in the last spread page, the Legion didn't returned but that other thing than Bendis created.
    Agreed. I despise the Bendis abomination. Which sort of brings me to my own choice of a wrong turn DC made in a storyline. I always thought that there was no reason for Waid and Kitson to create their Three-boot Legion. Honestly, with some small tweaks, there was no reason why the Eat-It Grampa youth movement storyline couldn't have been done with the Post-Zero Hour Legion (then the DnA Legion). I do belive that, with the more establuished characters, with a richer background story, it might have even worked out better. the lack of depth, IMHO, always was a problem for the Three-Boot Legion. A problem that Shooter started to retify, before DC went and pulled out the rug from under him.

Peace

Mighty Member

Having Cyborg, Starfire and Azrael be the leads of Justice League Odyssey then do a complete 180 by sidelining them to effectively make it a Jessica Cruz solo book. This was Vic's time to shine, to step up in a major way by going against Darkseid, but he gets tossed to the side and instead it turned into the mary sue Jessica show. Major wrong turn.

I am still waiting for the Pandora payoff!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Max Lord neck snap pretty much derailed all the more interesting stuff that was going on in Rucka's WW run and the character for pretty much the remainder of the Pre-New 52 years.
    It certainly took Diana down a dangerous road that I don't think she's ever recovered from. And what was worse was how awfully it was followed up on. There was no real redemption for Diana. The evidence never really surfaced that cleared her name completely. So it leaves a stain that many writers since have exploited, making things worse.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Taking James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez off of Justice League Dark, messing up the roster, and then sidelining the comic to a back-up.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

All-New Member

Destroying the entire Multiverse in COIE and every story since that's tried to fix it.

I had stopped reading comics shortly after Graduation Day and Identity Crisis. This is after decades of being an avid reader. As I mentioned earlier, comics were too cynical for me. However, I came back in 2008 because my two favorite writers had crossover events; Kurt Busiek's Trinity and Grant Morrison's Final Crisis. Both series were a complete letdown. Final Crisis just seemed like a big excuse for Batman to fire a gun (so edgy) and Trinity was incredibly boring (I quit around issue 40). I haven't committed to a crossover since.

Wrong turns:
    1. Making Donna a murder weapon created to fight Diana (fights everything we love about Donna, completely undermined the character).

2. Aging up Jon 5 years. (Robbed the readers of years of potential Super Sons stories, which we were loving, and made him too duplicative of Connor).

3. Making Hawk the villain Extant instead of sticking with the original plan (because it leaked). Ruined Hawk and also felt forced in the story.

Perez' run on Wonder Woman is almost perfect, but aging up Steve and Etta and retconning Donna's origin were very bad decisions. Jimenez' run is another one I really like, but boy!Cheetah sticks out like a sore thumb.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The ending to the New Krypton story. It was total amateur hour hack writing. Blowing up New Krypton and killing all the Kryptonians was beyond lazy. It makes it even worse knowing the Flashpoint reboot was coming soon which made it seem even more stupid. There were so many other ways to end that with out the obvious "kill em all" garbage. Have the whole planet sent to the Phantom Zone. Have one of the cosmic forces move the planet to the other side of the universe under a red sun with Superman knowing they are out there but not knowing where. Have the whole planet locked in suspended animation with Superman not knowing how to free them. Anything would have been better than that **** ending they gave us.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The constant origin reboots for Superman. I chalk a lot of this up to the way the character has been handled throughout the 21st century. Starting with the Superman 2K story at the beginning of the millennium. The entire franchise went off the rails with that.

Bringing back E-2 Superman during IC and then killing him off and then literally dragging his corpse around the DCU was just gross. He got his happy ending at the end of COIE. Let him have it or treat him respectfully.

The dropping of the Batwoman and Maggie marriage storyline.

Not letting Donna keep her pre-Crisis origin.

Everything done with the Legion since Superboy was removed from continuity.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Letting big name writers reboot the Legion for no real reason other than they want too further shattering the fan base every time. They did it with Mark Waid and that was a total failure. They did it again with Brian Bendis and that too was a total failure.