Default Interview with new Catwoman writer, Genevieve Valentine

In October, Catwoman becomes a Gotham City crime boss, and new writer Genevieve Valentine says that gives the book a new mood — with "pulpy" and "noir" elements, while still highlighting Selina's "dry sense of humor."

But Selina's new gig as crime boss doesn't mean there's no Catwoman in Gotham. As the cover for Catwoman #36 (above) insinuated, there's still someone wearing a cat suit come November.

But is it Selina… or someone new?

Valentine isn't clarifying that cover just yet, and even her cryptic answers to our questions could be interpreted either way. As we talked to the writer, we found out that Catwoman is her own biggest enemy during Valentine's kick-off story, but whether the cover symbolizes that internal struggle or whether it's a brand new Catwoman (Holly Robinson, perhaps)? Valentine isn't saying.

On the writer's blog, she posted about the cover, "Though it’s definitely a stark image, and I can’t talk about specifics because of spoilers, I’m hypothetically invested in the symbolic Doppelganger aspect of Selina facing off against Catwoman…and possibly losing."

Valentine, who's already an award-winning writer of sci-fi and fantasy books, will be working with artist Garry Brown on the comic. It takes place in the aftermath of the current story in the weekly series Batman Eternal (which doesn't actually end until March 2015).
    Read more here: http://www.newsarama.com/22015-new-w...-catwoman.html

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

So we have Kingpin Catwoman and a new Cat Burglar Catwoman? Very cool!

BANNED

I think there are two Selina Kyles. Catwoman #0 and Justice League of America #1 insinuated that Selina Kyle wasn't really Selina Kyle, she was a Russian orphan or something (my memories are hazy, and you couldn't pay me enough to crack open those books again). Maybe they are finally following up on those plot points.

BTW, Genevieve seems to really get Catwoman, which is an encouraging sign.
    Last edited by catbatfan; 09-02-2014 at 11:18 AM.

BANNED

Well, two things encouraging:
    1. Sounds like she read Catwoman in the 90's
    2. She's paying attention to Selina's wardrobe.

Astonishing Member

Haven't cared for Catwoman in a looong time, but hopefully this run will change that.

Amazing Member

Genevieve has been winning awards right and left since she started her writing career. Looking at her site, I can tell that she's an intelligent writer with a strong voice that could do wonders for the character. I just might check out some of her novels as well. Really, really excited for this one.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Very excited for this one. Bring it on!

Still wondering why we didn't get a renumbering, though.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!