Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New Wizard of Oz movie

WB is planning a new The Wizard of Oz movie with director Kenya Barris but I'm not sure this can work...

https://screenrant.com/wizard-oz-mov...-kenya-barris/

Hollywood dont respect crap anymore. Did anyone else see in the article they are Remaking White Men Cant Jump! I am more made about that then Wizard of Oz.

Remakes/retellings of Wizard of Oz have been done so many times it is hard to care about another.

Return to OZ, Oz the Great and Powerful, The Wiz, Tinman, That Time Burton, Wizard of Oz with Jonny Depp, Wicked, In sure I am missing a couple.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I know five of the ones you listed but there was a Tim Burton version with Johnny Depp? The rest weren’t close-in remakes. Sequel / prequel / unique takes. I think that’s why they work.

However, since The Wizard of Oz isn’t on TV every year, maybe a new generation will enjoy a closer in remake.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I know five of the ones you listed but there was a Tim Burton version with Johnny Depp? The rest weren’t close-in remakes. Sequel / prequel / unique takes. I think that’s why they work.

However, since The Wizard of Oz isn’t on TV every year, maybe a new generation will enjoy a closer in remake.
    Yep. 2010. it called Alice in Wonderland. Spoiler alert. It Sucked.

Ive heard a lot of people talk about how mad they get at the idea of a Wizard of Oz remake. Like it is some untouchable movie. My thought is why? They have redone/retold it so many times. I dont understand the anger here.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yep. 2010. it called Alice in Wonderland. Spoiler alert. It Sucked.

Ive heard a lot of people talk about how mad they get at the idea of a Wizard of Oz remake. Like it is some untouchable movie. My thought is why? They have redone/retold it so many times. I dont understand the anger here.
    It's especially strange when the first movie deviated from the book anyway. Some of those changes are what made it a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    It's especially strange when the first movie deviated from the book anyway. Some of those changes are what made it a classic.
    Yes. If a lot of these dies hards read the book they would be like "What in the world?"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Hollywood dont respect crap anymore. Did anyone else see in the article they are Remaking White Men Cant Jump! I am more made about that then Wizard of Oz.

Remakes/retellings of Wizard of Oz have been done so many times it is hard to care about another.

Return to OZ, Oz the Great and Powerful, The Wiz, Tinman, That Time Burton, Wizard of Oz with Jonny Depp, Wicked, In sure I am missing a couple.
    Forgot the Marvel Comic adaptation of, I think, The Wiz, which got canned when the movie did poorly. Didn't the Wiz also have a tv series? I know there has been a tv mini-series and an animated version too.

Astonishing Member

If they did a remake that skewed closer to the book, I might accept it on those grounds. But not if they plan on just updating the original.

There are other books in the series that haven't been adapted. Prefer it if they did those instead.

I liked the original and if they're going to make a film or films more in line with the books more power to them.

BUT

I have no horse in this race because I've never been a LOTRs fan. But I know Amazon is doing that show and the rights are split up and WB has some rights due to the Jackson films. Amazon now owns MGM who made The Wizard of Oz and back in 85 Disney paid MGM to use the Ruby Slippers they were Silver in the books.

If I was Amazon I'd be looking into the rights of the Ruby Slippers and then calling WB saying "Hi, you can call me Monty Hall Zaslav because I want to make a deal."

*sigh*
    Another remake. Look, I don't mind nostalgia, hell, I'm incredibly guilty of it. But just because something is "old" doesn't mean it needs to be remade. If it was a flop? I could see taking another swing at it, from a different angle. But a remake just to remake, scene for scene (or almost)? Uh-uh. No bueno.

I really hope they don’t try to do a straight up remake. That would be incredibly stupid.

Though there are a ton of Frank Baum’s books that haven’t been adapted yet. I would like to see them delve into some of his other Oz stories.

Is this where we pretend to care about the Wizard of Oz?

I don't get the complaints about remakes. The original still exists. If this one looks good then go see it. If not, then don't.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

I don't get the complaints about remakes. The original still exists. If this one looks good then go see it. If not, then don't.
    And although the MGM version is definitely a classic and is rightfully beloved all these years later it wasn't the original adaptation, there had been ten previous films that adapted Baulm's work to one extent or another. And although many are "lost" films today the original audience was well aware that this wasn't the first time the Wizard of Oz was coming to the silver screen and they were okay with it...so why should we be bothered that this is yet another adaptation?

People have this weird idea that adaptations and reboots being a large part of cinema is a new development and means the end is near...but the truth is that it has always been Hollywood's bread and butter.

Hollywood is a meat grinder looking to make money however it can, sometimes this means good films that become classics and sometimes it means soulless cash grabs that are forgotten five seconds after you leave the cinema, but you can't tell one from the other until it comes out so why fret about it before hand?
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-16-2022 at 06:12 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Oh nonononono

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post

The original Wizard of Oz was a really fun movie that holds up today.

Your mileage may vary, but in my opinion inferior remakes & sequels taint the original. All of the horrible Halloween sequels & remakes detract from my enjoyment of the 79 film.