Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The original Wizard of Oz was a really fun movie that holds up today.

Your mileage may vary, but in my opinion inferior remakes & sequels taint the original. All of the horrible Halloween sequels & remakes detract from my enjoyment of the 79 film.
    That's just really, really weird.

How do other things made after alter the original in any way?

I was never a fan of Halloween to begin with so I can't comment on that, but the fact that all the sequels and prequels to the Exorcist were schlocky B-movies at best in no way changes that the original was a cinematic masterpiece.

I could get maybe saying that lesser remakes could alter your perception of the original if you had never seen the original as if you already have negative feelings about something because the sequels you had heard about or seen were terrible that could create a preconceived notion about that original...but if you've seen the original and you liked it that cannot happen.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-16-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Retired

Is this timed to come out around when WICKED comes out? That's a Hollywood thing, isn't it? Where, if one studio is doing a movie that capitalizes on a property, other studios try to get out their own variant.

Yea I dont get how the remakes or reimaging of a film or story some how makes a person think less of the original. Or it taints it. A person still has their memories, They still have it on Dvd or whatever. A person can choose not to watch and ignore a remake and just watch the old one.

Like when my friend tells me all the New Star Wars Movies and Shows kill the OG 3. Why?

So how does a remake in any way take away from the original?
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-16-2022 at 10:24 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's just really, really weird.

How do other things made after alter the original in any way?

I was never a fan of Halloween to begin with so I can't comment on that, but the fact that all the sequels and prequels to the Exorcist were schlocky B-movies at best in no way changes that the original was a cinematic masterpiece.

I could get maybe saying that lesser remakes could alter your perception of the original if you had never seen the original as if you already have negative feelings about something because the sequels you had heard about or seen were terrible that could create a preconceived notion about that original...but if you've seen the original and you liked it that cannot happen.
    I grew up watching Transformers and Star Trek and was proud of being a fan and still enjoy the franchises. But thanks to Bay and Kurtzman I don't dare wear my fandom on my sleeve as to say anymore because I don't want to be associated with that drek. So, it in effect it affects my enjoyment of the older stuff as I don't want to share my enthusiasm for them anymore.

So I can see how crap entries into a franchise can affect enjoyment because it goes from something you shared to something you hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I grew up watching Transformers and Star Trek and was proud of being a fan and still enjoy the franchises. But thanks to Bay and Kurtzman I don't dare wear my fandom on my sleeve as to say anymore because I don't want to be associated with that drek. So, it in effect it affects my enjoyment of the older stuff as I don't want to share my enthusiasm for them anymore.

So I can see how crap entries into a franchise can affect enjoyment because it goes from something you shared to something you hide.
    I guess my question would be why would any fan have to hide what they like. Even if they dont like the new stuff. Not being the fan you want to be because someone would associate you with the bad stuff for a series or franchise really seems like you are letting other people decide how you can be fan.

I like this shirt but I wont wear it because the new stuff sucks and I dont want people thinking I support that.

At the end of the day who cares? Enjoy the parts you want and dislike the parts you dont. Some random on the net makes an opinion on that who cares? Or some Random on the street?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I guess my question would be why would any fan have to hide what they like. Even if they dont like the new stuff. Not being the fan you want to be because someone would associate you with the bad stuff for a series or franchise really seems like you are letting other people decide how you can be fan.

I like this shirt but I wont wear it because the new stuff sucks and I dont want people thinking I support that.

At the end of the day who cares? Enjoy the parts you want and dislike the parts you dont. Some random on the net makes an opinion on that who cares? Or some Random on the street?
    Yeah, I don't get that reasoning either. I like what I like and I long ago stopped needing validation from others.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-16-2022 at 11:45 AM.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    The original Wizard of Oz was a really fun movie that holds up today.

Your mileage may vary, but in my opinion inferior remakes & sequels taint the original. All of the horrible Halloween sequels & remakes detract from my enjoyment of the 79 film.
    I honestly have no idea how you can think this way? Especially if you hold the original in such high esteem. It's good on it's own merits.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Yeah, I don't get that reasoning either. I like what I like and I long ago stopped needing validation from others.
    It's not about validation. I have a shelf with old toys from my childhood displayed on it that are sentimental to me. I use to have as a kid the General Lee now I also had the A-Team Van, Knight Rider and Chips Motorcycles all are sadly gone and if I still had them I would display them, except the General Lee. I still enjoy the Dukes of Hazard, but I don't want to show off something with the Confederate Flag on it.

It's about not wanting to be associated with things I consider a negative. If Bayformers and DISCO were their own things in a bubble unrelated to the rest I would never be a fan of their franchises. So instead of explaining "No I like the other stuff" I simply don't share my Fandom anymore in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It's not about validation. I have a shelf with old toys from my childhood displayed on it that are sentimental to me. I use to have as a kid the General Lee now I also had the A-Team Van, Knight Rider and Chips Motorcycles all are sadly gone and if I still had them I would display them, except the General Lee. I still enjoy the Dukes of Hazard, but I don't want to show off something with the Confederate Flag on it.

It's about not wanting to be associated with things I consider a negative. If Bayformers and DISCO were their own things in a bubble unrelated to the rest I would never be a fan of their franchises. So instead of explaining "No I like the other stuff" I simply don't share my Fandom anymore in the real world.
    How often do people ask you about the "bad stuff" for this to be an issue, though? I can't believe if you wear a 80s Transformers shirt, a bunch of random people are coming up and talking about the Michael Bay films.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    How often do people ask you about the "bad stuff" for this to be an issue, though? I can't believe if you wear a 80s Transformers shirt, a bunch of random people are coming up and talking about the Michael Bay films.
    That's my feeling as well, and even if they did it could be a good conversation and if not, well I circle back to my original point: who cares? I mean that seriously, if some stranger thinks less of you because they really strongly hate the Michael Bay Transformers or Turtles movies and make a remark about you wearing a Turtles or Transformers shirt why do you care? Like what you like and be secure in your tastes.

And if for some reason( ie. you're having a rough day emotionally) you do let those outside opinions bother you in some way then that's wholly on your own feelings and has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with the fact that the new iterations may or may not be to your liking or whether they should or should not be made.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 08-16-2022 at 01:33 PM.

Ive Worn GI Joe Shirts and no one talks to me about the god awful movies from a few years back. I wear my JLA shirts no one talks about the Justice League movies.

I get the General Lee. Not wanting to display anything with a confederate flag. I have two General Lee's on bookshelves in my home. But I have them on my bookcase with other famous cars. The Mach 5, Several Batmoblies, General Lee, Daisy's Jeep, The Black Beauty.

Those are all shows and franchises I was a fan of. If someone walks in and has an issue with it that is on them. not me for liking an old time dumb show.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    I honestly have no idea how you can think this way? Especially if you hold the original in such high esteem. It's good on it's own merits.
    I don't get that mindset from an audience point of view that remakes or sequels ruins the original. I still have the original, however from a business perspective I can see it but why should I care? It isn't my money.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yea I dont get how the remakes or reimaging of a film or story some how makes a person think less of the original. Or it taints it. A person still has their memories, They still have it on Dvd or whatever. A person can choose not to watch and ignore a remake and just watch the old one.

Like when my friend tells me all the New Star Wars Movies and Shows kill the OG 3. Why?

So how does a remake in any way take away from the original?
    A bad remake can sometimes make the original look even better. Looking at you Tim Burton’s Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Astonishing Member

Interesting. I love Oz. I've read all the books by the original author (haven't really read any of his successors, though). And usually this would be my cue to say they should make a remake that's closer to the books. Except . . .

Look, I love Oz for it's strengths. Those books overflow with invention and imagination, full of charming characters and bizarre concepts. It's probably the most successful and iconic American fantasy series of all time. But they're kind of light on story. Most of them follow the same pattern as the first story with characters going on a journey for something and encountering dangers and new friends along the road. Even that first book is kind of a janky thing that seems to reach a climax (the Wizard with his balloon) and then just goes on for a while after that with the different characters finding new places to belong, fighting a giant spider monster and ultimately meeting Glinda in her castle in the south only for Dorothy to learn she could have gone home the whole time. Which is probably why the MGM movie cut all that out. I'd love it if they could introduce more of that Oz stuff into movies. Especially characters like the Patchwork Girl, the Woozy and Polychrome the Rainbow's Daughter. But I don't think it would be easy.

There are some fun and interesting reimaginings, though (despite what some in this thread think). The animated series Lost in Oz, which is on Amazon Instant Video, is a fun, modern take that plays with the idea that the magic of Oz is a science unto itself. And the Boomerang series Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz isn't too shabby either.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I love The Wiz. Just thinking about it has Ease on Down the Road running through my head.