Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Why would her teleportation be acting up if that is her mutant power?

Why would she still have the soul sword if shes not the ruler of Limbo?
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post

Her teleportation is not acting up and her stepping disk no longer include an obligatory trip to limbo

Her soulsword is exactly that…..HER Soulsword, she created it, its the sum of her mystical power and arcane knowledge.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Extraordinary Member

The stepping disks are a phenomenon that have always existed in Limbo which she has the natural ability to control. When she's not the ruler of Limbo, that gives someone else the ability to stop her from using them to teleport, and a change to Limbo can affect her the way a change in the atmosphere can affect Storm or a change in the earth can effect Magma.

The soul sword is a literal piece of her soul she forged into a weapon. The only connection it has to Limbo is through Illyana and because Illyana was the ruler of Limbo. Unlike the stepping disks it did not exist before she created it and is a part of her.

Good questions.

I imagine that since the Stepping Disks are native TO Limbo, that if Limbo is fritzing, her access to them could also fritz??
    Like how if the dimension that Kurt teleports through went and got all fucky, then he might just not be bamfing? Or that one dimension that allegedly supplies Scott with his concussive force?

As for the soulsword, I think the contract she established with Maddie emancipates her and her "property" (the souldsword) from further association and responsibility.
    She created the soulsword prior (heh, pryor) to becoming the ruler back in the Magik & Storm miniseries. I honestly never fully understood WHY the soulsword OWNER seemed to be the determining factor of who is in charge.

I have to assume its simply a recognition thing?
    Like, Illyana made it and became ruler. Hence forth, inhabitants of Limbo recognize the sword as part of her, therefore any future wielders are treated with the same regard or deference?

Edit: GREAT parallels drawn between Magma and Storm, sunofdarkchild!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    YES!!!
    The effectiveness of the new color scheme relies heavily on the temperature of that pallet! The suit must be a soft cool yellow. The armor has to be warm, bordering on a caramel tone to contrast. It is a delicate balance that not every future colorist will necessarily commit to.
    Exactatiously.

And now that I've seen it on-page and in-story I hate that she was in her Bachalo rags in X-Men 13. I hope Duggan, Villa and Milla get with the programme soon, going forward.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Mighty Member

I will never get the fawning over this new outfit that's just a variant of the bachalo outfit in yellow.

It'd be one thing if it was completely different, but there are versions of the old outfit that look just like this one, but in black.

Extraordinary Member

Good questions.

I imagine that since the Stepping Disks are native TO Limbo, that if Limbo is fritzing, her access to them could also fritz??
    Like how if the dimension that Kurt teleports through went and got all fucky, then he might just not be bamfing? Or that one dimension that allegedly supplies Scott with his concussive force?

As for the soulsword, I think the contract she established with Maddie emancipates her and her "property" (the souldsword) from further association and responsibility.
    She created the soulsword prior (heh, pryor) to becoming the ruler back in the Magik & Storm miniseries. I honestly never fully understood WHY the soulsword OWNER seemed to be the determining factor of who is in charge.

I have to assume its simply a recognition thing?
    Like, Illyana made it and became ruler. Hence forth, inhabitants of Limbo recognize the sword as part of her, therefore any future wielders are treated with the same regard or deference?

Edit: GREAT parallels drawn between Magma and Storm, sunofdarkchild!
    Basically Illyana has an intrinsic tie to Limbo through her mutant power which makes the realm - for lack of a better term - WANT her to be its ruler. That is likely how this story's antagonist was created, as a response by Limbo itself to Illyana's neglect and decision to abdicate rulership to someone else. The sword being able to confer rulership over Limbo stems entirely from it being a part of her. But even then it's not so clear that the sword does all that much when it comes to ruling Limbo. People who have the sword usually still have to fight someone like Belasco before they can actually become the ruler, and in X-Infernus Illyana had the rulership of Limbo taken away from her at the same moment she got the sword back, The only time I know of where someone else became the ruler of Limbo just by having the soul sword was when Dr. Doom grabbed it from Kitty and then that brand new character took it from him in Excalibur. Every other time there had to be a fight for who got to rule Limbo regardless of who had the sword.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 08-17-2022 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks for the clarification everyone!
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Mighty Member

I also don't think Magik's Power is acting up so much as she doesn't quite know how it works now.

Given that she's just absorbed an alternate universe version of herself.

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I will never get the fawning over this new outfit that's just a variant of the bachalo outfit in yellow.

It'd be one thing if it was completely different, but there are versions of the old outfit that look just like this one, but in black.
    Welcome to the X-Men fandom, Zephy.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Basically Illyana has an intrinsic tie to Limbo through her mutant power which makes the realm - for lack of a better term - WANT her to be its ruler. That is likely how this story's antagonist was created, as a response by Limbo itself to Illyana's neglect and decision to abdicate rulership to someone else. The sword being able to confer rulership over Limbo stems entirely from it being a part of her. But even then it's not so clear that the sword does all that much when it comes to ruling Limbo. People who have the sword usually still have to fight someone like Belasco before they can actually become the ruler, and in X-Infernus Illyana had the rulership of Limbo taken away from her at the same moment she got the sword back, The only time I know of where someone else became the ruler of Limbo just by having the soul sword was when Dr. Doom grabbed it from Kitty and then that brand new character took it from him in Excalibur. Every other time there had to be a fight for who got to rule Limbo regardless of who had the sword.
    Marvelous framing, per usual, sunofdarkchild -- you always elaborate and contextualize so wonderfully.
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-17-2022 at 11:00 AM.

It was explained in the book.

The soul sword is not what means she rules limbo like storm made a tree instead of that manifestation was that of a sword. she also explained it could be any weapon, the shape, but the sword is what fits her.

Her mutant power acting up is also basically explained in the sense that it was connected to limbo, when she use to teleport she teleported through limbo, now that she is no longer connected to it she doesn't know where she goes in between so she has to retrain her mutant abilities and test them. it all pretty much stands up.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    Her teleportation is not acting up and her stepping disk no longer include an obligatory trip to limbo

Her soulsword is exactly that…..HER Soulsword, she created it, its the sum of her mystical power and arcane knowledge.
    Perfect answer. Should have looked down before i responded. lol
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Extraordinary Member

Somehow her teleporting wasn't really effected when she caused Limbo to cease to exist after fighting Dormammu. The whole issue of going through Limbo couldn't have existed at that point since that would mean teleporting through herself since she had absorbed Limbo. For that period she must have been able to teleport from place to place directly with no mid-point.

Extraordinary Member

Welcome to the X-Men fandom, Zephy.

Marvelous framing, per usual, sunofdarkchild -- you always elaborate and contextualize so wonderfully.
    I got the idea from this thread, which tries to explain the connection between Illyana and Limbo. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/magik...-lord-1994499/

When I first saw this I argued that it was less about her mutation being a direct tie to Limbo and more about her true mutant power of time manipulation giving her an inherent ability to control a place like Limbo where time is much more malleable. This issue is further evidence that the thread author was right.

I never understood it as illyana having an intrinstic relationship to limbo. it always read to be like belasco tied her mutant powers to limbo or that was the basis point since it's where they manifested and since then in a way it's been her basis point because if she could just teleport freely there would be little to no fear of belasco recapturing her.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.