Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I never understood it as illyana having an intrinstic relationship to limbo. it always read to be like belasco tied her mutant powers to limbo or that was the basis point since it's where they manifested and since then in a way it's been her basis point because if she could just teleport freely there would be little to no fear of belasco recapturing her.
    She is now teleporting freely.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    I will never get the fawning over this new outfit that's just a variant of the bachalo outfit in yellow.

It'd be one thing if it was completely different, but there are versions of the old outfit that look just like this one, but in black.
    The reason it gets so much love is because its emphasis is completely different from the Bachalo costume. The Bachalo costume's primary emphasis is sex appeal, and its secondary emphasis is 90s excess with her sleek silver armor being replaced with spiky black armor for no reason and her sleek, otherworldly sword being replaced with a surf board for no reason. The changes this new outfit makes emphasize the armor, having it cover much more of her body and giving it back its sleekness and ornateness, also restoring the otherworldly aspects of her design. It says 'mage knight' where the Bachalo costume says 'barbarian.'

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    She is now teleporting freely.
    Which makes sense since she is now free of limbo but she does have a "blind spot" now.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously.

And now that I've seen it on-page and in-story I hate that she was in her Bachalo rags in X-Men 13. I hope Duggan, Villa and Milla get with the programme soon, going forward.
    Yes indeed! I just read the issue and it looks great on the page. Hopefully we get it in the next X-Men.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I agree the story was a bit slight after all the delays, and we didn’t get any sense of how Maddie will be as a ruler at all - that was kind of the hook for me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Why would her teleportation be acting up if that is her mutant power?

Why would she still have the soul sword if shes not the ruler of Limbo?
    Suspect she's still the ruler of Limbo overall ruler but Maddie is taking care of the day-to-day stuff. Sort of what's seen with England with Illyana being the Queen/Maddie being the PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The stepping disks are a phenomenon that have always existed in Limbo which she has the natural ability to control. When she's not the ruler of Limbo, that gives someone else the ability to stop her from using them to teleport, and a change to Limbo can affect her the way a change in the atmosphere can affect Storm or a change in the earth can effect Magma.

The soul sword is a literal piece of her soul she forged into a weapon. The only connection it has to Limbo is through Illyana and because Illyana was the ruler of Limbo. Unlike the stepping disks it did not exist before she created it and is a part of her.
    Not exactly the case. The Soulsword is formed from the magic of Limbo itself being filtered though Illyana's soul,just like Ororo's acorn was for her.That will never change. Go back and reread the Magik Limited Series.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 08-17-2022 at 01:57 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Not exactly the case. The Soulsword is formed from the magic of Limbo itself being filtered though Illyana's soul,just like Ororo's acorn was for her.That will never change. Go back and reread the Magik Limited Series.
    I reread it a lot. Your assertion has no support from the text whatsoever and is in fact contradicted by the text. The narration explicitly states that the acorn Ororo created was "pure and simple, unmarred by Limbo's primal corruption." The process is described in detail in issue 3 as the spell caster becoming aware of every molecule in their body, taking a piece of themselves, and combining it with the molecules of the air to form an acorn in an act of creation. That part about using the molecules of the air is the closest anything in the series comes to your assertion, but there is certainly nothing about channeling the magics of Limbo through anyone's body. In forging the soul sword, Illyana channels the life force of the oak, which is explicitly untouched by Limbo's corruption. And again, the actual material used to forge the acorns and sword are her own lifeforce and the air molecules, with not a word about the magic of Limbo. The oak is just used for power and food, not the creation process itself.

As a whole, I enjoyed these 4 issues.

I think Ayala's whole run on New Mutants has been longwinded and they could use some more editing...but man, Reis KILLS it every time!

Very interested to see if anyone will explore how Magik is teleporting without using Limbo as a throughway...especially considering the stepping discs are "native" to Limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously.

And now that I've seen it on-page and in-story I hate that she was in her Bachalo rags in X-Men 13. I hope Duggan, Villa and Milla get with the programme soon, going forward.
    Actually wondering if this was meant to take place after X-Men 13, as she explicitly mentions traveling through Limbo in that.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    Actually wondering if this was meant to take place after X-Men 13, as she explicitly mentions traveling through Limbo in that.
    Yupp.
    It didn't help that I read NM first then XM. I know the scheduling of some things were off due to the delays so it's no big deal really but still...it would have been nice if both books were visually on the same page with Magik.

Book of the week for me. 9/10...I'm taking that point for Maddie's new outfit.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-17-2022 at 09:05 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Illyana had a whole Sailor Moon transformation in this

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Suspect she's still the ruler of Limbo overall ruler but Maddie is taking care of the day-to-day stuff. Sort of what's seen with England with Illyana being the Queen/Maddie being the PM.
    I think it’s more like the contract has some kind of clause where Illyana would take over again if Maddie didn’t work out. At least in theory.

But yes Illyana no longer teleporting through Limbo is telling.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Well, Wolfsbane could have easily been replaced by any other random character.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm just going to post what I wrote over in the Maddie thread.

I get why it needed to focus on Illyana's journey and I absolutely enjoyed the arc from start to finish but...I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed that Vita didn't do more with Maddie other than "I deserve a chance. Give me a chance, dammit." and a new costume. It would have been nice to give her a singular moment or two...to see her use the spells Illyana had taught her....that showcased why she's the Goblyn Queen, and is a powerful and worthy candidate to sit on Limbo's throne.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!