Astonishing Member

Default Would One's Mental Health be worse if living in the Marvel U?

Bad enough that we live in a world with War(it take one for going Nuclear to end us all), disease, hate, and other problems. How would you or other people mental health fare if you live in the Marvel Universe, and I suppose it can applied to DC or any superhero universe, with going through any world ending situation after another usually saved by the skin of our teeth by the Heroes. You live in a world of supervillains, mutants, vampires, werewolves, world-conquering Aliens, Evil Gods, Demons. For me, I would imagine that despite I would like heroes that inspire the good and best of us, at the same time, I will be fill with anxiety to live in such a world. Hell even having superpowers yourself will put you in a target as well especially as mutant. Living in a comic book universe like Marvel and DC would be very scary and i would imagine those suffering mental health issues might have it worse in living. I would assume there would be a greater need for services on that.

Extraordinary Member

They just tune out stuff that doesn't affect them directly, or dismiss it as a publicity stunt. That's one of the classic ways humans deal with horrible things. Like we know we're going to die someday, but we all kind of put it out of our minds.

Last edited by gurkle; 08-17-2022 at 09:05 AM.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Actually, I think it would be better.

If the superheroes actually used their powers to solve the social and global issues you mentioned, things would be immensely better. Plus, they mostly deal with all those extraordinary things you mentioned. Whereas in the real world, there's very few solutions to major problems, and there's certainly no super powered being looking out for anyone.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I think the overall mental health would be better (as observed by all of the pedestrians we have seen, esp in NYC) because some crooks would be scared off from doing wrong once they have seen some supers in action. Also, many criminals woud be locked up, so the streets would be safer, making people feel more relaxed.

People would also feel safer knowing that individuals (ex Spider-Man), groups (ex Defenders) and super-teams (ex Avengers) were out there providing protection and doing what they could to help.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Probably a lot worse. Superheroes, in New York especially, would generated unparalleled anxiety.

Think about it. On the island of Manhattan alone you have Spider-Man, Daredevil and the Defenders (Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Moon Knight), the Fantastic Four and Baxter Building, Avengers at Avengers Mansion, Dr. Strange and the Sanctum Sanctorum, X-Men in Central Park (is that still a thing?), etc. Add in all every groups villain roster and rogue's gallery. Mad scientists, lab accident creations, alien invaders, cosmic beings, gods from myth, time travelers, renegade robots, paranormal monsters and Neo Nazi organizations. Why anyone still lives in Marvel NYC, I have no idea. You'd be looking at a 9/11 every single week.

Good thing is, most of the rest of the MU Earth is okay.

Avoid the Canadian wilderness. Wendigos
    Avoid the deserts of southwest US states. Gamma mutants
    Avoid small Eastern European countries. Latveria and Transia/Wundagore

There are other places to avoid. But you get the idea.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 08-17-2022 at 11:48 AM.

Think MARVELS goes into some detail about how the average joe perceives the Marvel universe.

Same goes for a lot of fictional worlds. Fun to read about or play around in (Video games) but probably not a great place to live. Heck, even the utopia of Star Trek often has to deal with constant threats to Federation worlds, including Earth.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

In NYC, clearly no. Whoever lives there is an idiot, completely insane or both. As for the rest of the MU, I'm still going with no. There's no human threat that can't be killed with a bullet, while in the MU there's multiversal space Gods threatening all existence every week.

Mighty Member

Every week you have a world-ending event, your neighbor could be a mutant and can kill you with a thought, time travellers exist and can erase you and your family from history, the devil exist and one time took Las Vegas. In the Marvel Universe, you would live in constant anguish, and we would all be a mess. (And the dc universe, where the reality is rewritten every year by a crisis, it's worse)

If I were to play devil's advocate: they live in a world where they know that the soul survives after death, that there are other habitable worlds (and thus that humanity is not stuck on earth) and that humanity can evolve beyond its condition. But still, living every day knowing that gods, aliens or metahumans can kill you just out of anger, it's way too much information for a normal mind
    Last edited by lordozone; 08-17-2022 at 04:22 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

It would be very stressful if you lived in New York, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rzerox21xx View Post
    Bad enough that we live in a world with War(it take one for going Nuclear to end us all), disease, hate, and other problems. How would you or other people mental health fare if you live in the Marvel Universe, and I suppose it can applied to DC or any superhero universe, with going through any world ending situation after another usually saved by the skin of our teeth by the Heroes. You live in a world of supervillains, mutants, vampires, werewolves, world-conquering Aliens, Evil Gods, Demons. For me, I would imagine that despite I would like heroes that inspire the good and best of us, at the same time, I will be fill with anxiety to live in such a world. Hell even having superpowers yourself will put you in a target as well especially as mutant. Living in a comic book universe like Marvel and DC would be very scary and i would imagine those suffering mental health issues might have it worse in living. I would assume there would be a greater need for services on that.
    I take it that the citizens just roll with superhuman events. Like school children do when fire alarms go off. They all go to emergency assembly areas like bomb shelters, until the crisis is over. I think the Marvel citizenry are very resilient like people of the old west. Remember, before superheroes came along, farmers, captains and pilots dealt quite comfortably with giant alien invasions, so mental health in the MU wouldn’t be anymore a problem than the real world. You have to remember the normal state of Americans was very hardy. It was full of determined mad scientists, greedy villains, and violent criminals all through the monster age of Atlas Comics before Marvel. There was one called Doctor Strange, who had a daughter he wanted to give the world too, but luckily she didn’t want it, otherwise the Marvel Universe would be run by this Dr Strange character, he was so powerful. Not the Stephen Strange that came later.

Double post
    Last edited by jackolover; 08-17-2022 at 05:16 PM.