Spectacular Member

Default ASM vs. SPIDERMAN

I haven't read any of the new ASM series due to the creative team, but I am somewhat hopeful for the Spiderman series with Slott and Bagley at the helm.

What are your thoughts about the potential for the new book vs. the current state of ASM?

Incredible Member

A lot of people here do not like Dan Slott. That's their problem. I am looking forward to the alternative. Amazing hasn't been doing it for me for a while so this book will be a breath of fresh air.

BANNED

Most satellite Spider-Man books are rarely worth reading, I think the last major exception was Spider-Man/Deadpool by Joe Kelly which did not shy away from Peter's rivalry with Mephisto.

The End of Spider-Verse is obviously important to the mythos, but it will be the later stories that determine if Slott can carry interest forward, especially since much of his later work working with the Parker Industries era seemed to be him operating on creative fumes, the Oscorp era poses a danger of presenting him with opportunities to write filler after filler until Wells undoes it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsguru View Post
    I haven't read any of the new ASM series due to the creative team, but I am somewhat hopeful for the Spiderman series with Slott and Bagley at the helm.

What are your thoughts about the potential for the new book vs. the current state of ASM?
    I think Wells is mediocre and Slott is terrible, but I'll probably read both because I'm a masochist.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Most satellite Spider-Man books are rarely worth reading, I think the last major exception was Spider-Man/Deadpool by Joe Kelly which did not shy away from Peter's rivalry with Mephisto.

The End of Spider-Verse is obviously important to the mythos, but it will be the later stories that determine if Slott can carry interest forward, especially since much of his later work working with the Parker Industries era seemed to be him operating on creative fumes, the Oscorp era poses a danger of presenting him with opportunities to write filler after filler until Wells undoes it.
    I dunno, Peter Parker: Spectacular Spider-Man was really great once it did the Interview with Jameson issue. Plus it did end up affecting the status quo both with Jameson knowing Peter’s identity and Teresa’s relationship with Peter.

While Spider-Man has to adhere to ASM, I’m hoping that it can have some good stories to it cuz I agree that Wells’ run just is not doing it for me.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Looking forward to Slott, I don't always agree with his directions but his books usually entertain me. At the end of the day, I actively want to enjoy Spider-man comics and always go in hopeful so I don't think it should be a difficult hurdle to leap, and yet Wells is limboing as if his life depended on it.

I REALLY hope Bagley is a lot better than I've seen him over the last several years as I've come to dislike his work. That, or has an inker dedicated to making him look good.
    Last edited by exile001; 08-19-2022 at 01:40 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I think Wells is mediocre and Slott is terrible, but I'll probably read both because I'm a masochist.
    True, one thing Slott never makes Spider-Man is boring.

Controversial stories? Yes. Terrible characterisation? Yes. Boring? No.

Astonishing Member

Only Spider-Man from Slott I liked was Superior Spider-man. But I will try it anyway.

Its hard to tell a good Spider-man story these days. I always have the feeling I read them all and there is nothing new

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    True, one thing Slott never makes Spider-Man is boring.

Controversial stories? Yes. Terrible characterisation? Yes. Boring? No.
    His storytelling is very boring. He repeats the same plot beats over and over until the lazy writer's best friend, deus ex machina, comes along to solve the plot.

The reader may not be bored but that's because Slott relies on trolling and getting a rise out of readers rather than telling a satisfactory, character-driven story.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    His storytelling is very boring. He repeats the same plot beats over and over until the lazy writer's best friend, deus ex machina, comes along to solve the plot.

The reader may not be bored but that's because Slott relies on trolling and getting a rise out of readers rather than telling a satisfactory, character-driven story.
    Spencer's run in a nutshell

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Spencer's run in a nutshell
    Examples needed