Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,305

    Default X-Men #13 Review *spoilers*

    Issue begins with Jean mentally syncing the X-men team up while they face down the flying Hex. Scott calls out to forge to figure out what he's doing, Turns out Forge is relaxing whilst aiming a nanite cannon right at the Hex. The cannon hits its target and promptly knocks the Hex out. Problem is, its a one time use weapon and there are several more Hex on their way to raise the island.

    Magik doesn't want to risk the possibility of the Hex completely wrecking the island so we then get the preview pages of Jean contacting Ikaris and discovering what they need to do to stop the Hex assault. Jean relays the info to the team whilst also protecting the island from a Hex punch with a psy-shield. Iceman pops up and manages to punc the new Hex off the island whilst carrying Magik, Forge and Synch. Magik states in order for them to get there, she needs a visual or mental image of the location. So forge comes up with the idea for Iceman to drop the X-men down to the ocean floor and then let Jean mentally link them the image so that Magik can kick the doors open.

    Iceman dives deep, however his collossus sized form is torn apart by one of the Hex that uses portals to attack. Before the Hex can destroy the shield iceman gives them, Ikaris provides Synch with the location and Magik teleports them in.

    The team is now split.

    Jean and Cyke on Krakoa

    Magik, Forge, Iceman, Firestar and Havok in the Hex Armory

    Magik takes command of the Armory team and leads them into battle. While at the same time, forge manages to deduce how they can shut the entire armory down in one go. A lot of Ice. Synch mimics Iceman's powers and they have some back and forth with Iceman congratulating Synch on joining the ranks of Omega, but Synch wants none of it cause that means joining Nimrod's kill list. Synch loses an arm whilst he and iceman head to freeze the core, but he's thankful he's copied Bobby's powerset cause he can easily replace it.


    Topside, Another Hex makes its way to Krakoa, but it never even manages to touch the beach. Jean using her TK creates a massive whirlpool that swallows it whole.


    Magik is directing the battle, making sure firestar is giving the group cover while they fight off the eternal defense systems. Havok wants to know if lethal force is allowed, worried more about whether he'll get sent to the hole for this mission, but Magik doesn't have time for those concerns, she's not even sure if they've managed to protect the five top side so all that matters to her is getting back alive.

    At that same time, Iceman and Synch manage to completely freeze the armory core and the entire place is about to collapse in on itself. Forge manages to steal some eternal tech as the make an exit... to find the Hex disengaged. Havok wants to celebrate... but Magik doesn't trust that everything is good just yet and says they'll relax once they've ensured everything, especially the five are safe.

    The issue ends with the entire team coming face to face with the Judgement Eternal and Forge stating how he's always wanted to see if he could kill a celestial.



    Personal thoughts:

    • The entire issue is event shenanigans, but at leats it gives us an idea of Duggan's intended group dynamic
    • There's a decent amount of time and focus given to Jean, Magik, Forge, Iceman and Synch.
    • Duggan's Firestar doesn't really say much of substance mostly just relates everything back to the Avengers.
    • Havok and Cyclops don't get much play at all. For Cyke it's neither good nor bad, but Havok really comes off like a unserious dumbass over his priorities
    • This issue is one of the few times where the War Captains feel like their job isn't just a cute title.

  2. #2
    2022: The Year of Hellion Rift's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,733

    Default

    Honestly, I'm just not feeling this issue, nor Judgment Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

  3. #3
    Mighty Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    The Issue was ok.

    IMO, it was weird. Firestar making references of her time with the Avengers, Magik digging into Havok's throat for a joke he made that Bobby could have said himself. Iceman needing help with generating lots of Ice when.

    I don't think Magik should be on the Team with her being a War Captain it reduces Cyclops Leadership. And I thought Synch was doing a Good Job providing Ideas in the last Volume of X-Men. I don't know there's alot, but for the most part this was ok.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 08-17-2022 at 11:41 AM.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,934

    Default

    This issue has the classic event tie-in problem of starting in the middle, which is especially noticeable when this team has never been shown interacting before their first fight.

    With that handicap under consideration, it's fine for what it is. There's a pretty good balance in which multiple characters get to show off. Havok and Firestar get the short end but everyone else has a good showing. But as an introduction to the new team it's still missing part 1 of the story where they are actually introduced.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Exodus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Posts
    1,742

    Default

    why? Many of those "new" X-Men know each other their entire adult lives...I don't need a scene where they interact before their first mission because they are all X-Men for so many years and most of them have long and complex histories with each other.

    "In media res", makes sense to me here.

  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks for posting. I agree that it's a bit awkward to have the debut of a new team in the middle of an event but I did enjoy most of it.

    I love Big Omega Bobby (BOB) and I feel like Duggan did more with him here than in the entirety of his Marauders. He was shown as very powerful, adaptable and fun.



    My dude Synch continues to shine as he had multiple critical roles for the mission. He didn't skip a beat when he lost his arm and I'm already in love with the easy broship between him and Bobby as I hoped I would be.

    Magik calling the shots, Forge was funny, Firestar being judgy, Scott and Jean the parents holding it down back at home (Jean taking out that Hex in short order)... it felt right. That letter to Emma from her father was interesting and I'm curious where all of that is going.
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Steroid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    2,203

    Default

    In my opinion this was one of Duggan's stronger efforts but as I feared I just couldn't get into it with the shift in art. Following Larraz would be tough for just about anyone but the shift was so jarring I could honestly say I don't have much interest in this title anymore. My love for Synch is pretty much the only thing keeping me on board as overall I really don't like the lineup.

  8. #8
    You look like trouble. Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    Issue begins with Jean mentally syncing the X-men team up while they face down the flying Hex. Scott calls out to forge to figure out what he's doing, Turns out Forge is relaxing whilst aiming a nanite cannon right at the Hex. The cannon hits its target and promptly knocks the Hex out. Problem is, its a one time use weapon and there are several more Hex on their way to raise the island.

    Magik doesn't want to risk the possibility of the Hex completely wrecking the island so we then get the preview pages of Jean contacting Ikaris and discovering what they need to do to stop the Hex assault. Jean relays the info to the team whilst also protecting the island from a Hex punch with a psy-shield. Iceman pops up and manages to punc the new Hex off the island whilst carrying Magik, Forge and Synch. Magik states in order for them to get there, she needs a visual or mental image of the location. So forge comes up with the idea for Iceman to drop the X-men down to the ocean floor and then let Jean mentally link them the image so that Magik can kick the doors open.

    Iceman dives deep, however his collossus sized form is torn apart by one of the Hex that uses portals to attack. Before the Hex can destroy the shield iceman gives them, Ikaris provides Synch with the location and Magik teleports them in.

    The team is now split.

    Jean and Cyke on Krakoa

    Magik, Forge, Iceman, Firestar and Havok in the Hex Armory

    Magik takes command of the Armory team and leads them into battle. While at the same time, forge manages to deduce how they can shut the entire armory down in one go. A lot of Ice. Synch mimics Iceman's powers and they have some back and forth with Iceman congratulating Synch on joining the ranks of Omega, but Synch wants none of it cause that means joining Nimrod's kill list. Synch loses an arm whilst he and iceman head to freeze the core, but he's thankful he's copied Bobby's powerset cause he can easily replace it.


    Topside, Another Hex makes its way to Krakoa, but it never even manages to touch the beach. Jean using her TK creates a massive whirlpool that swallows it whole.


    Magik is directing the battle, making sure firestar is giving the group cover while they fight off the eternal defense systems. Havok wants to know if lethal force is allowed, worried more about whether he'll get sent to the hole for this mission, but Magik doesn't have time for those concerns, she's not even sure if they've managed to protect the five top side so all that matters to her is getting back alive.

    At that same time, Iceman and Synch manage to completely freeze the armory core and the entire place is about to collapse in on itself. Forge manages to steal some eternal tech as the make an exit... to find the Hex disengaged. Havok wants to celebrate... but Magik doesn't trust that everything is good just yet and says they'll relax once they've ensured everything, especially the five are safe.

    The issue ends with the entire team coming face to face with the Judgement Eternal and Forge stating how he's always wanted to see if he could kill a celestial.



    Personal thoughts:

    • The entire issue is event shenanigans, but at leats it gives us an idea of Duggan's intended group dynamic
    • There's a decent amount of time and focus given to Jean, Magik, Forge, Iceman and Synch.
    • Duggan's Firestar doesn't really say much of substance mostly just relates everything back to the Avengers.
    • Havok and Cyclops don't get much play at all. For Cyke it's neither good nor bad, but Havok really comes off like a unserious dumbass over his priorities
    • This issue is one of the few times where the War Captains feel like their job isn't just a cute title.
    I see a lot of people misinterpreting that line from Iceman that Sync is now an omega, but he only says that after he syncs with Iceman. Same as when rogue absorbed Jean and said 2 omegas are better than one. They are copying an omega’s powers so it’s like being an omega but it doesnt confirm they are.

    Anyways glad Jean finally did something offensive during this event and moving that much water is pretty cool.

    Banter with Jean and Scott was cute.

    I felt like the Havok/Magik scene felt forced though.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    I see a lot of people misinterpreting that line from Iceman that Sync is now an omega, but he only says that after he syncs with Iceman. Same as when rogue absorbed Jean and said 2 omegas are better than one. They are copying an omega’s powers so it’s like being an omega but it doesnt confirm they are.

    Anyways glad Jean finally did something offensive during this event and moving that much water is pretty cool.

    Banter with Jean and Scott was cute.

    I felt like the Havok/Magik scene felt forced though.
    PHEW!! Thank You. I thought I was trippin....

    That's why I said this was weird.

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Diammandis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Krakoa
    Posts
    2,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Honestly, I'm just not feeling this issue, nor Judgment Day.
    Yeah…im ready for something significant to happen, my interests in the books are falling unfortunately
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,435

    Default

    The superhero paradox: the more that is happening and the higher the stakes, the more boring it is to read.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Diammandis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Krakoa
    Posts
    2,831

    Default

    Was so excited before the event began but now that its actually here im kind of ready for it to end
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

  13. #13
    You look like trouble. Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Yeah…im ready for something significant to happen, my interests in the books are falling unfortunately
    I think the problem so far I have with the tie ins is that they just give more detail about what happened, but we already know the end result in AXE 2. One of the reasons I’m not a fan of prequels or stories set in the past.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    In my opinion this was one of Duggan's stronger efforts but as I feared I just couldn't get into it with the shift in art. Following Larraz would be tough for just about anyone but the shift was so jarring I could honestly say I don't have much interest in this title anymore. My love for Synch is pretty much the only thing keeping me on board as overall I really don't like the lineup.
    The art is definitely going to be something tough to adjust to. I thought Villa did well with the bigger scenes like Iceman and Synch freezing the engine but the characters themselves, especially compared to Larraz, were rough.

    I also agree that the Magik/Havok moment was forced but I'm willing to let it slide as I thought the voices otherwise were good. Hopefully he cleans that up for Alex.
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

  15. #15
    Mighty Member useridgoeshere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Was so excited before the event began but now that its actually here im kind of ready for it to end
    And yet it's going into November.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •