Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    What about Brian K Vaughn? I haven't read much from him but seems like he would have a great time in this universe
    I think Brian K. Vaughan actually did a very short fill-in run before Jimenez and I haven't read it personally but I don't think it's remembered too fondly. It was at the beginning of his career so he certainly hadn't grown into the fantastic writer he is today, but I doubt he'd do anything that isn't creator-owned at this point. I do have a huge soft spot for him though - Runaways and Y: The Last Man were the series that got me into comics as a tween.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Reading some of Johns' JL, I actually did think he got better with writing Diana herself compared to the instances in the 2000s. I can see a lot of his problems in WW84 but the Diana he wrote in the 2000s also wasn't really there either.

No, my main problem with with a possible Johns WW run would he would almost assuredly bring back Jason since that was his creation and he's always his own biggest mark for the stuff he creates. I'm fairly certain Max being in WW84 is because him and his involvement in Infinite Crisis.
    One of my biggest issues with Geoff Johns is that he just doesn't have anything interesting to say. Even if his voice for Diana is passable it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't seem particularly interested in her politics or thematic depth. Nothing I've read from him is particularly insightful or challenging.

Speaking of which, if he's not completely burnt out with DC, I'd love to see Phil write his own BL book. Seems like since his run he's taken much more of an interest in Marston's themes so it'd be cool to see a more GA/Pre-Crisis-inspired take from him, especially after working on Historia which was ALL Perez.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 09-22-2022 at 02:28 PM.

Vaughn’s cape books were his worst work, and he’d never downgrade from his incredibly profitable indie work, which he owns, to do a monthly grind on a corporate owned IP. Surprising that DC has never tried to get Neil Gaiman to do something with Diana, a mini at least feels feasible.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    One of my biggest issues with Geoff Johns is that he just doesn't have anything interesting to say. Even if his voice for Diana is passable it doesn't change the fact that he doesn't seem particularly interested in her politics or thematic depth. Nothing I've read from him is particularly insightful or challenging.
    Yeah, I like Johns but his work definitely skews more in the direction of summer blockbuster kind of stuff. That fit the GL run he wrote, at least up to Blackest Night, but not sure it'd fit a WW run I'd like.

I don't think it's likely he'll ever be on a WW solo book though and I don't think I'd be interested. Probably would dread it as much as I would a Tom King one.
    Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Speaking of which, if he's not completely burnt out with DC, I'd love to see Phil write his own BL book. Seems like since his run he's taken much more of an interest in Marston's themes so it'd be cool to see a more GA/Pre-Crisis-inspired take from him, especially after working on Historia which was ALL Perez.
    Think he said that Historia might be his last Big Two project he works on (outside of stuff like variants) but would be nice. He did have a pitch before his original run that was 12 issues, most of which found it's way into his run.

Would be interested to see him do a proper version of Vanessa as the Swan, if only to finally bury that idea since he was the one who introduced it.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I beg to differ. This thread is about specific writers that we want to see write Wonder Woman. So if I want to see someone that writes fanfiction very well, I would go with Hellacre13. I feel she gets her voice better than just about any of the current writers on her title or ancillary titles. Not sure if she is a professional writer, but I would pay to read what she would come up with in a Wonder Woman title. Of course, the author in question does SM/WW fanfiction, but she does write the two of them well.
    I recommend our very own Robert Jones, Jr!! He is critically acclaimed and is a long time WW fan!

Also Beau Smith, who did pretty well with Diana during the Emerald Twilight story

Reading some of Johns' JL, I actually did think he got better with writing Diana herself compared to the instances in the 2000s. I can see a lot of his problems in WW84 but the Diana he wrote in the 2000s also wasn't really there either.

No, my main problem with with a possible Johns WW run would he would almost assuredly bring back Jason since that was his creation and he's always his own biggest mark for the stuff he creates. I'm fairly certain Max being in WW84 is because him and his involvement in Infinite Crisis.
    As I said, give us a writer, who can deliver the following, and we have the Silver Age, Robert Kanigher's contempt for WW never:

1) SEVEN supervillains, with easily identifiable motivations, which threaten something important to WW ..and powerful enough to threaten other major superheroes

2) cast of regulars, with skills and backgrounds relevant to WW stories; who compliment/contrast with Diana's

3) narrative struggle for ex-ARGUS Col. Steve

4) cool, NEW weapons, vehicles

5) cool, NEW settings (Mars's new Martian Fortress, etc)
    I mused that might be Geof Johns or, before ChOGs, James Robinson. I also suggested Gardner Fox, Marv Wolfman, Alan Moore or Warren Ellis. As I see it, bringing back Prince Jason, as refugee from parallel Earth-52, who can turn into a giant, living storm, and who retains the arcane secrets of the Dark Gods, AND who happens to be a bisexual man, ..shouldn't be a problem, with one of the above celeb writers, onboard.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-22-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I really can't understand how anyone familiar with his work could propose Johns on WW.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    As I said, give us a writer, who can deliver the following, and we have the Silver Age, Robert Kanigher's contempt for WW never:

I mused that might be Geof Johns or, before ChOGs, James Robinson. I also suggested Gardner Fox, Marv Wolfman, Alan Moore or Warren Ellis. As I see it, bringing back Prince Jason, as refugee from parallel Earth-52, who can turn into a giant, living storm, and who retains the arcane secrets of the Dark Gods, AND who happens to be a bisexual man, ..shouldn't be a problem, with one of the above celeb writers, onboard.
    You do realize Gardner Fox has been dead for over 30 years right? Also Alan Moore is the last...second to last person who should ever write Wonder Woman, not that he would ever take work for hire from DC again.
    **Chuck Austen being the only other person who should never be allowed to write Diana.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    You do realize Gardner Fox has been dead for over 30 years right? Also Alan Moore is the last...second to last person who should ever write Wonder Woman, not that he would ever take work for hire from DC again.
    **Chuck Austen being the only other person who should never be allowed to write Diana.
    Refresh my memory. Why wouldd those 2 be worse than tom taylor for example?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Also, Warren Ellis has essentially been cancelled.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Kelly Sue DeConnick would be a great choice.
    Absolutely! Wonder Woman Historia #1 has got to be one of the best-written comics for Wonder Woman this year.

I'd also like to see Tim Seeley given a crack at the character.

I love Kelly Sue Deconnick but Diana isn't the type of character that attracts her. She already explained why. That's why I would be much more interested in more Hippolyta stpries from her rather than Wonder Woman stories

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I love Kelly Sue Deconnick but Diana isn't the type of character that attracts her. She already explained why. That's why I would be much more interested in more Hippolyta stpries from her rather than Wonder Woman stories
    What was her reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post

Mel...No one cares about Jason.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'd like to see Kelly Thompson take a crack at her.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Mel...No one cares about Jason.
    Gaius... Etta, Wonder Woman's original ride-or-die ..is home. Etta's back, ..and in case you haven't noticed, no one cares about weak, whiny Vanessa the Sorry Swan, either.

Say what you like about Jason or James Robinson - doesn't matter, anymore than another romp on Paradise Island. Jason or no Jason, the WW comic is going to have to stick a character, like him or Achilles or Siegfried or Rama in the cast - a male, super-powered Wonderverse hero - to expand the fanbase.

You do realize Gardner Fox has been dead for over 30 years right?...Chuck Austen being the only other person who should never be allowed to write Diana.
    "...in 2022, Wonder Woman has no real archenemy, Robin, Lois, Metropolis, Krypto, Wolverine, Batmobile and Fortress of Solitude or equivalents, thereto, ..and the best superhero comics' universes are built on these simple things.

You can argue WW doesn't those things, because she and her fans (us) are so high above all of that. I would argue that we need a writer, who understands why all of that is important and can incorporate those well-traveled elements into what's already here, into some WW comic, that more people want to read.

This is a DULL comic, most of the time. We need an Alan Moore, Warren Ellis, Marv Wolfman or Gardner Fox to make it, less so. I would love for some truly ingenious, modern comic writer to take WW back to the Fifties and give us the Gardner Foxish Silver Age, poor Robert Kanigher never delivered.

When I imagine Diana and her cast of loyalists - cowgirl coed Etta, ex-mil Col. Steve, Doc Julia, Siggy, Mala and I Ching - settling into Arizonesque Holliday City, after World War II, ..with Diana heading her own antiquities and expeditions company, whisking off to one weird dimension, epic timeline or exotic locale after another...stalked by JANUS and her minions, ..I'm always thinking of Gardner Fox and what kind of cool universe he'd have created for her, coming out of the Golden Age.

Who would be today's answer to Fox? That's who we need writing WW, after Cloonrad & Co leave..."
    That was my original post, referring to Gardner Fox.

"...You do realize Gardner Fox has been dead..." What are you doing, O'Brian? I offered Gardner Fox for a Silver Age run, and he would have been right on time! Fox would have revolutionized the comic, if we'd been lucky enough to have had him, ..instead of Bob Kanigher, who never wanted to be there AND said so, in interviews! I'm so-oo right about that...

I speculated the WW comic needed the following changes:

SEVEN supervillains, with easily identifiable motivations, which threaten something important to WW ..and powerful enough to threaten other major superheroes

2) cast of regulars, with skills and backgrounds relevant to WW stories; who compliment/contrast with Diana's

3) narrative struggle for ex-ARGUS Col. Steve

4) cool, NEW weapons, vehicles

5) cool, NEW settings (Mars's new Martian Fortress, etc)
    The only way you get all of the above elements in the WW comic, coming out of World War II, is with Gardner Fox. You know that.

You think Gardner Fox ever would have given the Olympian [ACHILLES, O'Brian! Achilles!], a sleepy-looking, skinny realtor BF? Are you kidding? He'd have made him a sorcerer, a green-skin alien, half-robot, an Egyptian pharoah or something. Something cool. C'mon. You know he would've!

So, what are you doing, here?
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-23-2022 at 11:22 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!