Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What To Do With The Invisible Jet?

Some of the posts in the General Discussion thread about the Invisible Jet had me thinking about it. It was made redundant Post-Crisis when Diana gained flight as power and that's mostly stuck since. But nostalgic writers and it's appearances in adaptations meant it's stuck around enough that people still associated it with WW, so thought I'd ask what you folks thinks it should be done with it?

I'm firmly in the pro-flight powers camp, so not interested in arguments about taking away flight to justify the jet or because that was Marston's settup but do like what's been brought up before (sometimes as a joke in fiction) of it being used carry others or as a base of operation like how it was in the Trinity mini.

Last edited by Gaius; 10-08-2022 at 03:59 PM.

My favorite use for the invisible jet back in the day was the fact that Wonder Woman was able to control it telepathically and it was used in some really creative ways because of that. An example that leaps to mind is this one time a bridge was collapsing and Wonder Woman was lassoing the bridge and holding it together while telepathically commanding the invisible jet to fly under the bridge to catch a car as it was falling off the side and land safely.

That said, its other uses such as space flight, invisibility, the means of transporting large numbers of people and disaster relief to those in need, and the often used fact that it can be used by others in the Wonder Family, thus allowing them to either meet Diana somewhere, or support her when needed are all pretty awesome features it possesses as well.

A question I have is, does it move faster than Wonder Woman does? In pre crisis it certainly seemed to, what with it traveling to multiple star systems in a matter of seconds. Though im not sure how that would scale to modern Diana who can fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Some of the posts in the General Discussion thread about the Invisible Jet had me thinking about it. It was made redundant Post-Crisis when Diana gained flight as power and that's mostly stuck since. But nostalgic writers and it's appearances in adaptations meant it's stuck around enough that people still associated it with WW, so thought I'd ask what you folks thinks it should be done with it?

I'm firmly in the pro-flight powers camp, so not interested in arguments about taking away flight to justify the jet or because that was Marston's settup but do like what's been brought up before (sometimes as a joke in fiction) of it being used carry others or as a base of operation like how it was in the Trinity mini.

I do like to see it from time-to-time!

Maybe keep it like in this pic? It can house her weaponry and be a mobile base of operations. A flying "invisible fortress of solitude if and when needed" as well as carrying non-flying members on team assignments or for when she needs to go in space.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It being WWs version of a Tardis is a good take to have and gives her a place to chill.

I think especially when WW is able to fly, giving her a general joy of jets is a good way to go towards her preferring it for long range missions and carrying a team.

Or you know...the Amazons at one point are highly advanced and its something that Diana grew up with and picked up from Themiscryia and thus its just 2nd nature for her to use regardless.

Making it somewhat sentient like they did with Bioship in YJ (and much earlier in WW where it was the Wonderdome) also gives something that Diana can attach to, take different forms when needed.

I think Rucka explained it the best. And that use has been seen in Brave & The Bold for example when Diana is on Earth superspeed evacuating a state with the Flash while a team is using her jet to fly into the sun. Of course as this is not Pre-Crisis there was chatter of the "omg it can't take much more" variety, but I digress. Another usage example was in JLA CLASSIFIED when the Trinity needed to approach the Watchtower from earth undetected so WW flew them there cloaked in 5 minutes (which is of course a downgrade from early PreCrisis).

The real question for me is should it be magic like in several GA origins, a product of Amazon science, or a gift ftom the Lansinarians.

Still stand by this being a base model for the jet design. Want it to be alien but still tangible, syfy like. Will also stand by it remaining a jet for good, no transformations or anything. As for it remaining invisible 100% of the time, I feel like Diana and only her, should be able to turn it visible and invisible at will. I really liked how 'spirit of truth' had it, where Diana would literally fly inside it, disappearing, cause yknow invisible most of the time. Also, it's a very unique visual. All amazons should have invisible planes, but Diana's should look and feel more different and personal to her. Make it a gift from an alien race maybe, modified by amazons.

For purpose... I'd agree with what most are saying. Keep it as a moving base. She can communicate with people trillions of lightyears away via its amazon radio orbs. It holds her armor and weapons; she can carry cargo and people in it (max 10 or 12 maybe). Make it feel bigger on the inside. She uses it for space travel like going to New Genisis or Oa or whatever. I do like the telepathic control she had over it in the GA. It should kind of follow her in a way, always being there but only coming out when Diana needs it. Laser beams are cool, maybe have it able to do that, it can have multiple settings.

Speed wise... I would find it so funny that despite being able to cross galaxies in minutes, Diana is still faster than the jet. Like she really only uses it for transporting people and cargo and as a base. I say this also because I really don't want to see this on earth a lot. Like let Diana fly.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The real question for me is should it be magic like in several GA origins, a product of Amazon science, or a gift ftom the Lansinarians.
    I prefer it to be Amazonian. Let's say the Amazons study Steve Trevor's crushed plane and build their own plane mixing science and magic. I kinda liked that the Post-Crisis version had some intelligence and shape-shifting properties, but it doesn't have to be an alien life-form for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I prefer it to be Amazonian. Let's say the Amazons study Steve Trevor's crushed plane and build their own plane mixing science and magic. I kinda liked that the Post-Crisis version had some intelligence and shape-shifting properties, but it doesn't have to be an alien life-form for that.
    Me too. And they might even blend the Byrne/Luke elements together by saying the Amazons used their science to save the dying members of the ring who in turn are their trusty pets/steeds or whatever.

I also really like the shifting ability and how it can look different. That gives artists a little freedom and less stress with which they hopefully can divert their attention to getting the suit right. It seems that people muck up the boots of the new design whereas the with the old ones it was always the symbol on which they they goofed.

WE know Wonder Woman has used this jet for emergency rescue transport, an invisible battering ram and to carry her friends and equipment. We understand that these are useful applications for this vehicle, that she could not physically manage without it ..and that it surpasses the Batmobile in the advantages, it gives her...easily! Why do people, outside of our fandom, persist in holding this up as being any less ridiculous, ..than the Hulk.

A man runs out into a nuclear explosion and walks out a grey-skinned monster? Another man gets bitten by a radioactive spider and starts crawling up walls? Still another guy, a kid, wakes up a wizard, an EGYPTIAN WIZARD, sleeping in a subway station and flies out, with enough strength to crack open a planet, like an egg? Oh, all that's fine, ..but, an Invisible Jet, from a futuristic civilization, with technology, we don't understand...

No, no, no, ..fans of the most famous superheroine in the world! Your invisible plane is ridiculous, and so are you, for reading those Wonderlady comics.

Why are we scrambling for ways to explain the I-Jet (NOT including this discussion, which is speculative), every time this comes up? This is one of those things, we should embrace, if we can, as Wonderverse and something uniquely WW's. We don't owe anyone any explanations, in a genre with X-Men, Kryptonians and Human Torches.

Hang, if you can hang, X-babies. A man with lasers shooting out of his eyes doesn't make any freaking since, either.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 10-08-2022 at 11:03 PM. Reason: content
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I say, take it for a ride.

WW can fly on her own power and also use a jet for her convenience. The jet makes sense as a base, to carry to passengers and to go to places she might not be able to with her flight. Also makes sense to use it to conserve energy for flights and battle. I like later iterations where it can change shape and be whatever Diana needs it to be; a dome, a jet, a motorcycle, etc. It's also one of the cooler and unique elements of the WW mythos and thus should be kept around.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    WE know Wonder Woman has used this jet for emergency rescue transport, an invisible battering ram and to carry her friends and equipment. We understand that these are useful applications for this vehicle, that she could not physically manage without it ..and that it surpasses the Batmobile in the advantages, it gives her...easily! Why do people, outside of our fandom, persist in holding this up as being any less ridiculous, ..than the Hulk.

A man runs out into a nuclear explosion and walks out a grey-skinned monster? Another man gets bitten by a radioactive spider and starts crawling up walls? Still another guy, a kid, wakes up a wizard, an EGYPTIAN WIZARD, sleeping in a subway station and flies out, with enough strength to crack open a planet, like an egg? Oh, all that's fine, ..but, an Invisible Jet, from a futuristic civilization, with technology, we don't understand...

No, no, no, ..fans of the most famous superheroine in the world! Your invisible plane is ridiculous, and so are you, for reading those Wonderlady comics.

Why are we scrambling for ways to explain the I-Jet (NOT including this discussion, which is speculative), every time this comes up? This is one of those things, we should embrace, if we can, as Wonderverse and something uniquely WW's. We don't owe anyone any explanations, in a genre with X-Men, Kryptonians and Human Torches.

Hang, if you can hang, X-babies. A man with lasers shooting out of his eyes doesn't make any freaking since, either.
    Iwhile i agree it isnt hard to accept...they already accept a woman molded from clay and given life to by greek gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    My favorite use for the invisible jet back in the day was the fact that Wonder Woman was able to control it telepathically and it was used in some really creative ways because of that. An example that leaps to mind is this one time a bridge was collapsing and Wonder Woman was lassoing the bridge and holding it together while telepathically commanding the invisible jet to fly under the bridge to catch a car as it was falling off the side and land safely.

That said, its other uses such as space flight, invisibility, the means of transporting large numbers of people and disaster relief to those in need, and the often used fact that it can be used by others in the Wonder Family, thus allowing them to either meet Diana somewhere, or support her when needed are all pretty awesome features it possesses as well.

A question I have is, does it move faster than Wonder Woman does? In pre crisis it certainly seemed to, what with it traveling to multiple star systems in a matter of seconds. Though im not sure how that would scale to modern Diana who can fly.
    All of this. Plus i prefer it to be totally invisible. One is invisible within it. But that it's illustrated as such. None of this " it's a regular jet with cloaking" or " it's all visible on the inside but not on the outside" junk.

Growing up in tne 70s and 80s, reading WW, the visuals of her in that jet, or calling for her "robot plane", or standing on the wing, twirling her lasso as the jet sped through the sky..... that's good stuff. I didn't even mind when it became sentient back then...

Just because she can fly doesn't mean she can't also have a jet. I can walk, but i also have a car, and have even been known to take an airplane.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd rather keep its place in the mythos streamlined and simple. Much like in her actual publication history, Diana didn't have the power of flight in her early adventures so she had the Jet. Which would be a piece of Amazon tech. After she gains the power of flight, she keeps the jet in reserve to use when she has to transport multiple passengers or to mentally direct it to aid her in combat as a distraction or to use it's pacifying weapons (ex: they could double team Giganta and give her two flying targets to distract her).

No post-Crisis "she flew from day 1 and got the jet long after it would be useful" or Wonderdome nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'd rather keep its place in the mythos streamlined and simple. Much like in her actual publication history, Diana didn't have the power of flight in her early adventures so she had the Jet. Which would be a piece of Amazon tech. After she gains the power of flight, she keeps the jet in reserve to use when she has to transport multiple passengers or to mentally direct it to aid her in combat as a distraction or to use it's pacifying weapons (ex: they could double team Giganta and give her two flying targets to distract her).

No post-Crisis "she flew from day 1 and got the jet long after it would be useful" or Wonderdome nonsense.
    But if we're going by her publication history then like her peers--the other two one-person Justice Leagues--she started flying and becoming more powerful from go. As Les Daniels pointed out in THE COMPLETE HISTORY OF WONDER WOMAN put whatever description you want on it but she was flying. There are no wind currents in the vacuum of outer space and to my knowledge she herself doesn't have the ability to summon the wind. Yet even before Marston died she was seen vectoring in space under her own power. She is also shown stopping falling giant objects like semi's, cars, boulders, and more. But gliding doesn't provide lift ability so it is not as cut and dry or streamlined as all that. The jet is in the public conscience due to the TV show and the SuperFriends but there is no reason at all she can't have them both as the people from which she hales were originally envisioned as super sci-fi advanced and having mastered all time and space. Kannigher came along and rebooted/retold the origin massively downgrading the Amazons.