Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I beg to differ. This thread is about specific writers that we want to see write Wonder Woman. So if I want to see someone that writes fanfiction very well, I would go with Hellacre13. I feel she gets her voice better than just about any of the current writers on her title or ancillary titles. Not sure if she is a professional writer, but I would pay to read what she would come up with in a Wonder Woman title. Of course, the author in question does SM/WW fanfiction, but she does write the two of them well.
    I concur.
    Writing "fanfiction" is not inherently lesser and doesn't make one a bad writer necessarily. Fan fiction is basically fiction that people are not paid for, and writers who are paid to write comics by the Big Two are pretty much fan fiction writers since they don't own the IP or any of the characters they add to the mythos of whatever established book they work in...

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    What was her reasoning?
    Kelly Sue Deconnick has said that when she starts to write a character she first has to understand what their "wound" is.

This isn't just in reference to tragedy (although it often is that too). What she means is, what's the part of their history that weights them down and makes them fiercely and furiously want something.

This is why she loves Hippolyta, whose wounds are very vocal.

It's the process Kelly also used to understand Mera, Aquaman, Carol Danvers.

Diana is a person whose life afforded her much love and care. She felt wonderful about herself and the people around her through all the formative years of her life. She has no reason to be insecure.

But the thing I would call her "wound" is when she would look upon the eyes of her mother and sisters and see that their trauma still remained hidden deep down, even in paradise. If Kelly was able to see this aspect I think she would certainly write a lovely Diana, but I believe she stated in an interview that she didn't know what Diana's wound was.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Also, Warren Ellis has essentially been cancelled.
    What happened with Ellis?
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    More Kurt Busiek
    When did Busiek wright WW? I was going to suggest Kurt Busiek based off his ASTRO CITY counterpart to Diana, Winged Victory. He seemed to grasp what it takes to make such an "inspirational" character compelling, where other writers might make them perfect and boring.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

He co-wrote the 4 issue miniseries The Legend of Wonder Woman in 1986

And he wrote a story for the Wonder Woman Black & Gold

He also wrote her in Justice League stories pre crisis, and in his Trinity run in the 2000s

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What happened with Ellis?
    Just google with this "warren ellis cancelled".

Otherwise, here is a link from when I did the google search that should offer enough of what happened with Warren Ellis:

https://screenrant.com/warren-ellis-...mics-response/

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Kelly Sue Deconnick has said that when she starts to write a character she first has to understand what their "wound" is...
    SEVEN supervillains, with easily identifiable motivations, which threaten something important to WW ..and powerful enough to threaten other major superheroes...
    When you haven't answered this superhero question, somewhat definitively, you wind up looking over a cycle or cycles of stories that don't mean anything, because they're rather inconsequential. That's where WW is in 2022.

We need writers, who understand what drives this character, or she'll never get her DKR.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Gaius... Etta, Wonder Woman's original ride-or-die ..is home. Etta's back, ..and in case you haven't noticed, no one cares about weak, whiny Vanessa the Sorry Swan, either.

Say what you like about Jason or James Robinson - doesn't matter, anymore than another romp on Paradise Island. Jason or no Jason, the WW comic is going to have to stick a character, like him or Achilles or Siegfried or Rama in the cast - a male, super-powered Wonderverse hero - to expand the fanbase.

That was my original post, referring to Gardner Fox.

"...You do realize Gardner Fox has been dead..." What are you doing, O'Brian? I offered Gardner Fox for a Silver Age run, and he would have been right on time! Fox would have revolutionized the comic, if we'd been lucky enough to have had him, ..instead of Bob Kanigher, who never wanted to be there AND said so, in interviews! I'm so-oo right about that...

I speculated the WW comic needed the following changes:

The only way you get all of the above elements in the WW comic, coming out of World War II, is with Gardner Fox. You know that.

You think Gardner Fox ever would have given the Olympian [ACHILLES, O'Brian! Achilles!], a sleepy-looking, skinny realtor BF? Are you kidding? He'd have made him a sorcerer, a green-skin alien, half-robot, an Egyptian pharoah or something. Something cool. C'mon. You know he would've!

So, what are you doing, here?
    Mr Dyer, there is no need to be rude or offensive, which oddly enough you are to countless posters on here. The original post, while granted I am paraphrasing from memory was subjected to current, modern writers. if the only thing you have to offer is your over-inflated egotistical insights that writers who have been dead for decades are the better than anyone else, perhaps next time keep your opinions to yourself because quite honestly no one on here really cares what you have to say if you can't say it in a manner that is not degrading or insulting, which you do not seem to be able to do.

Kelly Sue Deconnick has said that when she starts to write a character she first has to understand what their "wound" is.

This isn't just in reference to tragedy (although it often is that too). What she means is, what's the part of their history that weights them down and makes them fiercely and furiously want something.

This is why she loves Hippolyta, whose wounds are very vocal.

It's the process Kelly also used to understand Mera, Aquaman, Carol Danvers.

Diana is a person whose life afforded her much love and care. She felt wonderful about herself and the people around her through all the formative years of her life. She has no reason to be insecure.

But the thing I would call her "wound" is when she would look upon the eyes of her mother and sisters and see that their trauma still remained hidden deep down, even in paradise. If Kelly was able to see this aspect I think she would certainly write a lovely Diana, but I believe she stated in an interview that she didn't know what Diana's wound was.
    Sounds like she would be perfect for a Donna Troy series! haha

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    another ruined thread... anyway
    Kelly Sue of course in the main series
    And I would love to see what Neil Gaiman would have to say in a black label or mini series.
    Kurt Busiek is also an interesting choice in exploring the Wonderverse's golden age in another seminal series.
    Yep. Always ruined by the one or two posters who are almost completely unable to talk about one thing and insist on making every thread about that same topic.

Once again, this thread is for recommending professional writers.
    It is. I started this thread so I know exactly what it's about. If I didn't make that clear before I'm doing that now.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Mr Dyer, there is no need to be rude or offensive, which oddly enough you are to countless posters on here. The original post, while granted I am paraphrasing from memory was subjected to current, modern writers. if the only thing you have to offer is your over-inflated egotistical insights that writers who have been dead for decades are the better than anyone else, perhaps next time keep your opinions to yourself because quite honestly no one on here really cares what you have to say if you can't say it in a manner that is not degrading or insulting, which you do not seem to be able to do.
    O'Brian, all I did - all I did, here - was post a seven item fix-it list and what writer I thought could deliver it, ..and I've been nothing, but attacked, insulted, dismissed and condescended to, with the most banal and unsubstantial remarks, imaginable. If you can't be bothered to scroll back and see the truth of what I've just shared, you're taking me entirely out of context...

Again.

I just posted a generic seven-item spec list. Did that really warrant all of the nastiness, I've been handed, over the last two pages? My seven items stand as is, posted in good faith

Clearly, you didn't read my original post, and all you had to do is say so ..or ignore, instead of piling on with the needlessly acidic comments of others. I directed the above comments to you, because you've typically exhibited a broader knowledge of the WW comic and comics, in general, than what's being displayed.

To the rest of you...

Shooting down or dismissing all of the writer suggestions, you don't agree with - suggestions, you've solicited in the title of this thread [?] - is not a discussion. It just isn't, and those of us here, who understand that, should encourage the few, who don't, to be more diplomatic...

Out of kindness, if nothing else.

Discussions should welcome us...all of us. If a thread title invites you to do something, dont treat people, who join your discussion, in good faith, ..the way you have treated me. Going forward, see that you do that much, a little better.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-24-2022 at 09:09 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Sounds like she would be perfect for a Donna Troy series! haha
    I think Donna is probably too mellow for Kelly's taste, but maybe I'm wrong

Mr Dyer, there is no need to be rude or offensive, which oddly enough you are to countless posters on here. The original post, while granted I am paraphrasing from memory
    That's not fair at all. Mel Dyer is a lovely poster. He has never insulted anyone. He just insulted the character of Vanessa, and only repeated the same thing another user had already said about a character Mel loved (Jason).

Gaius... Etta, Wonder Woman's original ride-or-die ..is home. Etta's back, ..and in case you haven't noticed, no one cares about weak, whiny Vanessa the Sorry Swan, either.

Say what you like about Jason or James Robinson - doesn't matter, anymore than another romp on Paradise Island. Jason or no Jason, the WW comic is going to have to stick a character, like him or Achilles or Siegfried or Rama in the cast - a male, super-powered Wonderverse hero - to expand the fanbase.
    Yeah, and both Etta and Vanessa have actual good stories and a useful purpose in WW comics that justify keeping them around. And I don't even have any attachment to Golden Age Etta, the first Etta I liked was Simone. The only time I cared for Golden Age Etta was LoWW.

Jason is just the most recent, and worst, example of DC trying to re-center WW to appeal to a more male audience. No one asked for WW to have some deadbeat long-lost brother who had all her powers + even more to be the star of WW's one solo book. At least was Achilles was introduced as a villain who then worked his way to becoming a hero and never actually took center stage away from Diana (the star).
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-24-2022 at 08:11 PM.

O'Brian, all I did - all I did, here - was post a seven item fix-it list and what writer I thought could deliver it, ..and I've been nothing, but attacked, insulted, dismissed and condescended to, with the most banal and unsubstantial remarks, imaginable. If you can't be bothered to scroll back and see the truth of what I've just shared, you're taking me entirely out of context...

Again.

I just posted a generic seven-item spec list. Did that really warrant all of the nastiness, I've been handed, over the last two pages? My seven items stand as is, posted in good faith

Clearly, you didn't read my original post, and all you had to do is say so ..or ignore, instead of piling on with the needlessly acidic comments of others. I directed the above comments to you, because you've typically exhibited a broader knowledge of the WW comic and comics, in general, than what's being displayed.

To the rest of you...

Shooting down or dismissing all of the writer suggestions, you don't agree with - suggestions, you've solicited in the title of this thread [?] - is not a discussion. It just isn't, and those of us here, who understand that, should encourage the few, who don't, to be more diplomatic...

Out of kindness, if nothing else.

Discussions should welcome us...all of us. If a thread title invites you to do something, dont treat people, who join your discussion, in good faith, ..the way you have treated me. Going forward, see that you do that much, a little better.
    No sir, I am quite well aware of what you wrote. My simple comment of "you do realize Gardner Fox is dead" goes back to the OP asking for suggestions, it would imply writers who are alive and current, I honestly wasn't sure if you realized he was no longer living based on how you wrote your comment. There was nothing condescending in my comment however your repeated use of "What are you doing here" to me was very condescending and rude. You continually bring nothing but argumentative behavior and rudeness to your postings. Likewise your postings were not generic in the least. Again, there was nothing in my post that was nasty or acidic until you decided to attack me with your "what are you doing here" comments.
    Perhaps you need to take your own advise and rather than repeatedly ask someone "what are you doing here" you need to respond in good faith. Your comments after mine could have read "yes, I realize that I was just stating my preference." However no you did not do that, instead you felt the need to be rude, condescending and aloof.
    Again, you are nothing of what you ask others to be and perhaps it would be good for you to take some of your own advise.