Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Hold up, so the "what are you doing here" what made you percieve Mel Dyer as attacking you?

You misunderstood his sentence.

He wasn't saying "why are you here?"

He was saying "you know that, don't you, so what are you doing?". The "here wasn't a statement about your presence in the conversation.

And Mel Dyer does not have a history of attacking people in this forum
    Last edited by Alpha; 09-25-2022 at 01:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Kelly Sue Deconnick has said that when she starts to write a character she first has to understand what their "wound" is.

This isn't just in reference to tragedy (although it often is that too). What she means is, what's the part of their history that weights them down and makes them fiercely and furiously want something.

This is why she loves Hippolyta, whose wounds are very vocal.

It's the process Kelly also used to understand Mera, Aquaman, Carol Danvers.

Diana is a person whose life afforded her much love and care. She felt wonderful about herself and the people around her through all the formative years of her life. She has no reason to be insecure.

But the thing I would call her "wound" is when she would look upon the eyes of her mother and sisters and see that their trauma still remained hidden deep down, even in paradise. If Kelly was able to see this aspect I think she would certainly write a lovely Diana, but I believe she stated in an interview that she didn't know what Diana's wound was.
    Ah, that makes sense. Diana is not like that. That is more a Supes or Bats thong among her peers

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Just google with this "warren ellis cancelled".

Otherwise, here is a link from when I did the google search that should offer enough of what happened with Warren Ellis:

https://screenrant.com/warren-ellis-...mics-response/
    Did he and his aggreived not come to an understanding? Or was that insufficient to overcome the multiple misdeeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hold up, so the "what are you doing here" what made you percieve Mel Dyer as attacking you?

You misunderstood his sentence.

He wasn't saying "why are you here?"

He was saying "you know that, don't you, so what are you doing?". The "here wasn't a statement about your presence in the conversation.

And Mel Dyer does not have a history of attacking people in this forum
    ALL of the above is true, ..and thank you for defending my participation in this discussion, so insightfully, Alpha.

I've been reading Wonder Woman comics, for decades. I write a blog, and I'm on Twitter. Much of my blogging and tweeting on Wonder Woman is developed, from something we've discussed here; so, I invite anyone to read and compare my tone. I totally don't need to come here, to berate and belittle my fellow Kangaliers, with the needless hostility, that I was shown, in what I understood to be an open discussion about the WW comic, we all love.

We love this comic, even when it is unforgivably bad [It has been!] and editorially wasteful. My initial comments, expressing my dissatisfaction with the writing historically, were made in earnest - we are discussing WW writers - and not directed, as insults, to my fellow fans. Expressing our disappointment with one of our favorite comics should not be an invitation I don't apologize for expressing my dissatisfaction; there are enough adults here, that I shouldn't have to.

Hopefully, ..Wonder Woman's younger fans - I was one, once - can learn from the best and worst of our honest discourse.

I'm not apologizing for liking two writers, somebody here didn't like. I'm not apologizing for liking two writers, two characters or two comics, that no one else, ..but me, likes. Forget it.

If there are people here, who don't like Prince Jason or ChOGs, or don't think my liking writer James Robinson has merit, that's very well. They can express that, without attacking or condescending ["No one cares about what you like..."] to me or someone, who shares my opinion. Admittedly, I jumped right in the toilet with a fellow fan, responding to that senselessly crass "No one cares [about what you shared]..."; as wrong as that was, ..it's more wrong my friend put it there, in the first place.

We know better. Let's be better, than that.

I don't like taking the prescriptive tone, speculating what's right or wrong, on this forum. I care about this community, because I've been here, for a while, and I know I am not alone in caring about what's shared here, ..beyond the volatility of a heated moment. I know this also; what Alpha is doing, right here, is totally right ..and right on time. You are challenging us to be just and compassionate, with each other, even when it's hard. That's a hill, I will gladly die on.

You do us proud, Alpha. We're grateful for your presence and your heart.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    No sir, I am quite well aware of what you wrote. My simple comment of "you do realize Gardner Fox is dead" goes back to the OP asking for suggestions, it would imply writers who are alive and current, I honestly wasn't sure if you realized he was no longer living based on how you wrote your comment. There was nothing condescending in my comment however your repeated use of "What are you doing here" to me was very condescending and rude. You continually bring nothing but argumentative behavior and rudeness to your postings...Again, you are nothing of what you ask others to be and perhaps it would be good for you to take some of your own advise.
    Truthfully, I misunderstood your comment, here. I hope.

I thought your "you do realize Gardner Fox is dead" was intended to be mocking and sarcastic to me, and I responded in kind. When you contributed that, the atmosphere of this discussion about a cartoon was so needlessly nasty, I gave no consideration to any history with you or your conversation style on these forums, ..and I just gave back what I mistakenly thought you deserved. For that much and that only, I apologize ..to you.

As for the rest - that I am "continually" [What?] boring away at the otherwise fair, gentle discourse of our fan community - I don't know what or who you are talking about, O'Brian, ..but, it's not me. I've been nothing, but encouraging to you and our fellow fans, over the years, ..after being worn down, by the Flamewars of the Gods. Now, I'm always grateful for people, who post something I agree with, so much, that you save me some typing, ..and that's been you and Scott and Gaius and Alpha and Ami, more times, than I can count.

Furthermore, I'm not even on this forum enough ..to be the giant, evil spider in the sewer, from which all evil flows! Seriously! I'm not even here enough for all this recently trending hostility to make sense. Either way, your prerogative, O'Brian.

Over the course, of the past few pages of comments, I have responded to the worst of what we're capable of sharing, here. I've responded, in kind. I'm not proud of that, ..but don't condemn me, for responding to hostility, you can clearly see - anyone can clearly see - I didn't invite. Don't condemn me for not going all zen high road, over here, when I'm being mishandled and straight up insulted, here, ..for nothing.

I don't get around to thanking or supporting HALF the fans, whose comments I've read, for taking time out of your lives to share something here. If you or anyone else, here, feels you're one of those people, and you're sore about that, ..I'm sorry you're having a bad day, right now. I really do appreciate everything I read here - I learn, from some much of it - and I am always grateful you shared it, at one of the rare times, I happen to be looking. Thank you, O'Brian, and thank you, fellow Kangaliers!

Me? I posted a stupid seven-item wish list. I praised a couple of writers, some fellow fans don't like. I shared a specific writer, I would like to see take on writing Wonder Woman, ..just as the OP invited us to do. Did that really deserve all of this?

Let me do something old-fashioned, for this discussion. Let me argue something and support it, with something that shows you all why I feel so strongly about it. Here is a great blogpost about Gardner Fox, who I still think is the only writer, who might have seamlessly followed Marston, while totally changing the ill-fated trajectory destiny of this beloved comic, we're chatting up.

Meet Gardner Fox, everyone... https://www.lambiek.net/artists/f/fo...COWB_8.twitter

Anyway, I'm done. Enjoy your discussion.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-25-2022 at 03:26 PM. Reason: truth and progress
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Reading the Vertigo Books of Magic series from the 90s right now and man what I wouldn’t give to see someone with this kind of sensibilities write Wonder Woman. Si Spurrier was able to tap into that energy before with his Sandman Universe books, again I find myself wishing he’d get a chance with Diana.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Reading the Vertigo Books of Magic series from the 90s right now and man what I wouldn’t give to see someone with this kind of sensibilities write Wonder Woman. Si Spurrier was able to tap into that energy before with his Sandman Universe books, again I find myself wishing he’d get a chance with Diana.
    That's a really good suggestion. I'm def on board with that.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Haven't read his Vertigo work but I follow his work in the X-men universe with Way of X and Legion of X and you are absolutely right. He writes very accessible stories with awesome action, but is also one of my favourites writers to explore themes like religion, sex and parenthood in superhero comics. He would be a fantastic choice

Extraordinary Member

I can't remember if I mentioned them already, but Conner/Palmiotti. Their Power Girl run was great!
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

I just inhaled The Dreaming and I completely agree. I'm 100% confident that he'd deliver everything that makes for a truly great WW story (adventurous storytelling, epic scale, excellent characterization, thematic substance). And he and Evely are an absolute dream team.

Also I checked out his JLA mini-run and WOW, Spurrier clearly loves the character and understands her down to the letter. The very rare example of her getting the full Batman treatment - i.e. the writer has an obvious favorite and wants to show how awesome she is, to the point where everyone else is written as a complete dope to further highlight her awesomeness. Basically the opposite of most JLA stories and exactly the kind of energy she needs.

At this point he's easily my top choice. It's not too far-fetched and I honestly think he could write an all-time great run.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can't remember if I mentioned them already, but Conner/Palmiotti. Their Power Girl run was great!
    Love their Peeg, haven't been impressed by their WW. They've written her a bunch and they either make her the classic stick in the mud who doesn't use contractions or they give her the personality of cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Also I checked out his JLA mini-run and WOW, Spurrier clearly loves the character and understands her down to the letter. The very rare example of her getting the full Batman treatment - i.e. the writer has an obvious favorite and wants to show how awesome she is, to the point where everyone else is written as a complete dope to further highlight her awesomeness. Basically the opposite of most JLA stories and exactly the kind of energy she needs.

At this point he's easily my top choice. It's not too far-fetched and I honestly think he could write an all-time great run.
    Oh yeah, that three-part Justice League story is one of my favorites, the way Diana antagonizes the rest of the team is awesome.

Extraordinary Member

Love their Peeg, haven't been impressed by their WW. They've written her a bunch and they either make her the classic stick in the mud who doesn't use contractions or they give her the personality of cardboard.
    I'd be willing to give her a shot at the ongoing, though. Writing a character here and there is far different than writing a character regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'd be willing to give her a shot at the ongoing, though. Writing a character here and there is far different than writing a character regularly.
    If you wanna see something more like that, I recommend reading WW: Agent of Peace or WW: Come Back to Me. At this point they've written more solo WW stuff than a lot of writers who've actually worked on the ongoing.

Personally I find their stories so-so but you may enjoy them more than I do!

Extraordinary Member

If you wanna see something more like that, I recommend reading WW: Agent of Peace or WW: Come Back to Me. At this point they've written more solo WW stuff than a lot of writers who've actually worked on the ongoing.

Personally I find their stories so-so but you may enjoy them more than I do!
    Awesome! Thanks for the recommendations!

For lots of different reasons:

NK Jemisin
    Neil Gaiman
    Tomi Adeyemi
    Shonda Rhimes
    John Ridley
    Jordan Peele
    JD Stevenson

you know... if past writers who are no longer even alive were options... Alex Toth and Stan Lee.