Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
    Bahamut, the god of good dragons, from 3.0 D&D Deities & Demigiods?
    Another....
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Can one pick a general purpose magic user? I'd go for a cosmic level, such as Mephisto. Don't want to look like a giant octopus type though.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Aw, I didn't even think of that! Yeah, a DBZ Android body would be pretty great, especially if it was a Cell-type unit.
    Cell had to eat people to power up though, right? 18 just trained a lot.

Although I guess Cell COULD power up by training, eating people was just faster.

Sold! As long as I don't have to worry about Paradox too much. :P
    Well the OP handed out immunity to Vamp weaknesses, I'm not sure how much they'll hand out immunity to magic weaknesses. Which is why I went for "God mode'.

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Mandareas. Eh, not really selling me.
    Interesting that I called out Mandareas immediately, and not Tryant Lord Valvatorez. He was actually bonkers power-level and I did mention Fenris later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    2. Werewolves...okay, I got nothing here.
    Fenris is a main character from Disgaea 4, so he's pretty high on the power level. His main feats were Power Scaling Logic though, so take with a grain of salt. Although If you're comparing Dimitri I think Darkstalkers had a Electric Rock werewolf guy.

I think saying 'Mage The Ascension with high-level Spheres' isn't an overpowered ask. ^_^
    Not so much compared to Scion or any of the other super OP mages I can think of.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Cell had to eat people to power up though, right? 18 just trained a lot.

Although I guess Cell COULD power up by training, eating people was just faster.
    I have an eating addiction, I could work with this. :V

Well the OP handed out immunity to Vamp weaknesses, I'm not sure how much they'll hand out immunity to magic weaknesses. Which is why I went for "God mode'.
    Well, whatever mage makes me as close to omnipotent.

Fenris is a main character from Disgaea 4, so he's pretty high on the power level. His main feats were Power Scaling Logic though, so take with a grain of salt. Although If you're comparing Dimitri I think Darkstalkers had a Electric Rock werewolf guy.
    There's definitely more powerful werewolves than my elemental hybrids, I'm sure, I'm just not too familiar.

Speaking of WoD, though, I did like the nWoD/CoD version of werewolves, but I'm sure oWoD was more hax.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Speaking of WoD, though, I did like the nWoD/CoD version of werewolves, but I'm sure oWoD was more hax.
    I'd have to break out my rule book, but from what I remember they were kind of garbage in terms of any kind of power except "ripping people apart".
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

I'd have to break out my rule book, but from what I remember they were kind of garbage in terms of any kind of power except "ripping people apart".
    Sadly, this. One could do stuff with them that allowed them more than ripping people apart, but...in comparison with Vampires and Mages, they start off really strong then lose ground rapidly as the Vampires and Mages become more and more powerful.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Sadly, this. One could do stuff with them that allowed them more than ripping people apart, but...in comparison with Vampires and Mages, they start off really strong then lose ground rapidly as the Vampires and Mages become more and more powerful.
    Kind of a "Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards" Effect, eh?

Astonishing Member

The Hero Leo - powered by super tech black hole heart but can absorb and mimic magical techniques. After 3000 years of doing this, he was pretty much immune to and stronger than the standard Demon world and it's powerful queen.

Kind of a "Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards" Effect, eh?
    Sort of? But worse. Quadratic Wizards, Ln(x) Warriors.

They start off somewhat ridiculous in terms of combat ability, then...improve somewhat but hit ceilings in specific ways, their Gifts are pretty *wiggles hand*, etc. I mean, Rank Six gifts are things that are supposed to be top-end Garou powers (and in the modern world there are something like...three Rank Sixes in the entire world?) and they're decidedly underwhelming for that as compared to (for example) Vampiric high-end disciplines or high-level Mage spheres.

A beginning Garou can easily start with Str 4, Dex 5, Sta 4. Or better. When they shift to their Crinos form, they get bonuses to everything to make them into 'better than human'. But those bonuses never really change, and a top-end, Rank 5 Garou might have Str 5, Dex 5, Sta 5. Whee. Huge difference. So the only real big difference is in their Gifts, but their Gifts - being less-than awesome - mostly don't make as huge a difference (and/or cannot be used NEARLY as often as Vampiric Disciplines/Mage Spheres) as the powers of the other guys.

Like, let's look at the Rank 6 gifts.

Are they more powerful than Rank 5 stuff? Sure. Are they...useful? Well, being able to regenerate aggravated damage IS nice, but it eats up one's Rage to do so, Rage being that handy thing one uses to get the big advantage Garou have, which is Multiple Attacks from the start. Yay. Other powers are like 'forcing a one-on-one confrontation with your foe' (hooray, when the foe is an Ancient Vampire that can kick the crap out of you) at the cost of a PERMANENT point of Gnosis (like...this is terrible), or 'Bring that dead guy back to life, only he stays asleep until the Apocalypse' (well, that's useful), or 'break all bonds/mystic compulsions/whatever' (useful, but pretty specific), 'teleport anywhere in the world where there are wolves' (this is a rank SIX gift?), Turn into a super-potent spirit totem (which sounds good, but you're only doing this ONCE because you literally become that thing, and after a while your mind fades away and you wander off to live like that thing), Steal your enemies powers and make them Garou Gifts (which sounds like a great thing, because it works on Vampires or Mages, but nope, YOU can't learn these powers, you basically steal them and can teach OTHER Garou the powers. Also, you become permanently vulnerable to the stolen power), etc.

The good ones are things like 'Get into a contest with an ancient vampire - if you win Gnosis versus Willpower, he crumbles to dust' (sounds great, but ancient vampires tend to have ridiculously high Willpower and most Garou don't have a 10 Gnosis, and this still costs 2 permanent Gnosis to use, so it's not like your character becomes Fluffy the Vampire Slayer...and after the first time you use it, you're spending all of your Experience getting your Gnosis back to where it was, or the next time it likely won't work because your Gnosis has dropped forever), or 'Tell a story and it becomes reality' (which is noted as potentially having world-altering depths, but also costs permanent Gnosis and the GM gets to say yes or no to it, or modify it).

These are the Rank 6 gifts, the best of the best, legendary stuff. And that's what they are - in many ways they're very 'story-based'. But compared to high-end Disciplines (I'm not even getting into 'level 10, planetary stuff') or the insane stuff one can do with Spheres at the higher levels, they're...not great. And that matches up well with the other, lower-level Gifts.

Sometimes I wonder if the writers of Werewolf actively disliked the Garou and tried to make their lives miserable on a rules level.
    Why are we here?

Spectacular Member

Plan A) I guess I'm a "wizard-superhero". I take my powers from Mutants and Masterminds. Magic is my power source for my awesome powers. Of course if I'm in a world where magic doesn't work, I'm screwed. Unless I can "create my build" and cherry pick my powers/spells... (which OP isn't specifying) Magic is kinda a crapshoot. Another hesitation is being stuck in a world where magic doesn't work, or some anti-magic realm, and then being f*&%ed.

Which makes plan B) Rank 6 Garou (Stargazer?) Theurge VERY appealing. I'd have sucky magic by Mage/M&M standards, but... I have innate regeneration, hardiness, speed, instincts and natural weaponry, which, to be honest, will be helpful in many situations. I don't NEED to be god. I'd also have Werewolf shapeshifting martial arts which is kinda cool, and the ability to "Umbral shift" which, is, let's be real, the ability to shift into the nearest parallel dimension. And the Gifts would be secondary, but useful.

Kinda leaning towards plan B, honestly.

Sort of? But worse. Quadratic Wizards, Ln(x) Warriors.

They start off somewhat ridiculous in terms of combat ability, then...improve somewhat but hit ceilings in specific ways, their Gifts are pretty *wiggles hand*, etc. I mean, Rank Six gifts are things that are supposed to be top-end Garou powers (and in the modern world there are something like...three Rank Sixes in the entire world?) and they're decidedly underwhelming for that as compared to (for example) Vampiric high-end disciplines or high-level Mage spheres.

A beginning Garou can easily start with Str 4, Dex 5, Sta 4. Or better. When they shift to their Crinos form, they get bonuses to everything to make them into 'better than human'. But those bonuses never really change, and a top-end, Rank 5 Garou might have Str 5, Dex 5, Sta 5. Whee. Huge difference. So the only real big difference is in their Gifts, but their Gifts - being less-than awesome - mostly don't make as huge a difference (and/or cannot be used NEARLY as often as Vampiric Disciplines/Mage Spheres) as the powers of the other guys.

Like, let's look at the Rank 6 gifts.

Are they more powerful than Rank 5 stuff? Sure. Are they...useful? Well, being able to regenerate aggravated damage IS nice, but it eats up one's Rage to do so, Rage being that handy thing one uses to get the big advantage Garou have, which is Multiple Attacks from the start. Yay. Other powers are like 'forcing a one-on-one confrontation with your foe' (hooray, when the foe is an Ancient Vampire that can kick the crap out of you) at the cost of a PERMANENT point of Gnosis (like...this is terrible), or 'Bring that dead guy back to life, only he stays asleep until the Apocalypse' (well, that's useful), or 'break all bonds/mystic compulsions/whatever' (useful, but pretty specific), 'teleport anywhere in the world where there are wolves' (this is a rank SIX gift?), Turn into a super-potent spirit totem (which sounds good, but you're only doing this ONCE because you literally become that thing, and after a while your mind fades away and you wander off to live like that thing), Steal your enemies powers and make them Garou Gifts (which sounds like a great thing, because it works on Vampires or Mages, but nope, YOU can't learn these powers, you basically steal them and can teach OTHER Garou the powers. Also, you become permanently vulnerable to the stolen power), etc.

The good ones are things like 'Get into a contest with an ancient vampire - if you win Gnosis versus Willpower, he crumbles to dust' (sounds great, but ancient vampires tend to have ridiculously high Willpower and most Garou don't have a 10 Gnosis, and this still costs 2 permanent Gnosis to use, so it's not like your character becomes Fluffy the Vampire Slayer...and after the first time you use it, you're spending all of your Experience getting your Gnosis back to where it was, or the next time it likely won't work because your Gnosis has dropped forever), or 'Tell a story and it becomes reality' (which is noted as potentially having world-altering depths, but also costs permanent Gnosis and the GM gets to say yes or no to it, or modify it).

These are the Rank 6 gifts, the best of the best, legendary stuff. And that's what they are - in many ways they're very 'story-based'. But compared to high-end Disciplines (I'm not even getting into 'level 10, planetary stuff') or the insane stuff one can do with Spheres at the higher levels, they're...not great. And that matches up well with the other, lower-level Gifts.

Sometimes I wonder if the writers of Werewolf actively disliked the Garou and tried to make their lives miserable on a rules level.
    Poor horror doggos.

Mighty Member

'Tell a story and it becomes reality' (which is noted as potentially having world-altering depths, but also costs permanent Gnosis and the GM gets to say yes or no to it, or modify it).
    This is pretty hax. Storyteller characters in other fiction (Marvel, for example) are very powerful. Assuming you have a good Storyteller (or whatever the DM in Werewolf is called) that is a pretty high end power (on the level of Wish in D&D).

As to the scenario, I'll go with DC mage. That is probably not the high end of choices, but you have a fair bit of power and not a ton of downside.