Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Geoff Johns back on Legion of Superheroes?

We had a rumor from Bleeding Cool that a “War of the Four Legions” book was coming. Besides that we also had a tease from Flashpoint Beyond:

Then today we get the JSA announcement and also this: https://www.dc.com/blog/2022/08/18/t...-this-november
    I’m happy to be writing these two titles, each one of them focused on celebrating and expanding the history (and far future) of heroism in the DC Universe, exploring unseen heroes, villains and adventures alongside the ones we all know and love,” said Geoff Johns. “Our goal is to delve into the neglected corners of DC with this new group of titles, from the JSA to the Legion, and all those who operate between. It’s the story of where superheroes came from, where they’re going and why they’re always needed.”
    Looks like Johns might finally be writing a Legion book. Retroboot replacing Bendisboot perhaps? I’m guessing Johns will do a mini-Legion event similar to Legion of Three Worlds where he tries to show that all of them “matter” before shuffling Bendisboot off the board and launching a book making his take “canon” again. Guess Secret Origin will be canonized in full.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-18-2022 at 01:56 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm not a big fan of Bendis' Legion and it really hasn't had, like, any time to settle or form much of an identity outside being the "Bendis Legion," and I preferred Johns' Legion work...yet at the same time I'm not sure we need to reboot the Legion again for the umpteenth time even if I prefer the classics.

But I guess we'll see. If anyone could pull it off, maybe Johns could since he already did it once.

I’ll be honest. I do think Johns is past his prime and that the Legion needs a fresh and exciting new voice, but if Johns brings back the retroboot version, I will be forever grateful.
    So just like JSA, I’m actually excited about him getting the reigns again. At least his name will be sure to bring in more readers and we know he respects the team’s history.

Ideally I’d prefer a setup like Flashpoint Beyond or DC vs. Vampires if Johns is coming back. He plots and someone else scripts the actual issues. Jeremy Adams might be a good choice for this, he’s good at handling a larger cast over on Flash.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, as hopefully he'd restore Superman's connection to them. Again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Unless Johns is going to be full time on comics again(which may be true if Stargirl ends), I don't know if we'll see him actually write this. I could see him getting a co-writer like you guys mentioned though. It'll definitely be interesting to see how they work around the Bendis reboot since some of Bendis's ideas like the united planets seems to be sticking and Jon's legion connections did get referenced early on in infinite frontier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, as hopefully he'd restore Superman's connection to them. Again.
    That was definitely one of the reasons Bendis Legion was never gonna last long term, I'm sure most older writers would want to bring that connection back.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ideally I’d prefer a setup like Flashpoint Beyond or DC vs. Vampires if Johns is coming back. He plots and someone else scripts the actual issues. Jeremy Adams might be a good choice for this, he’s good at handling a larger cast over on Flash.
    Considering Jeremy Adams current fantastic direction on Flash, it would be great to have him as the co-writer on all this

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That was definitely one of the reasons Bendis Legion was never gonna last long term, I'm sure most older writers would want to bring that connection back.
    I can see the issue there, a lot of writers prolly don't want to be beholden to just the son when they could want to write about the big man's exploits.

Plus the Legion's idolization of Jon only stems from as long as the United Planets as it currently is is still a thing. Them instead idolizing Clark because he's the greatest hero ever is more safely long-term.

Astonishing Member

So Superman gets his Superboy history back.

Or Kon El and his Legion history instead...

Still to early to celebrate but rumours and initial hints seems to point in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That I also I can see it as something to work, with Johns pointing a direction and another writer in the script. That was part of the editor before.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    So Superman gets his Superboy history back.

Or Kon El and his Legion history instead...
    Or maybe both. Who knows what Johns had to thinking about to solve yet again the disaster than is Bendisboot.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

No JSA ongoing?

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    No JSA ongoing?
    JSA Ongoing indeedconfirmed. But the declarations of Johns (from legion of 3 Worlds and Superman Secret origin) give us hope about about a New Legion of SUper-heroes (sans Bendis) is coming.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

DC's ability to reiterate the very same concepts for the umpteenth time with the same writers will never cease to amaze me. Anyway, taking for granted that Johns will get the classic Legion back if only he has a chance to do it (everyone and their uncle that this is what is going to happen, let's not fool ourselves) and therefore making Secret Origin THE Superman canon, I wonder what will happen to Bendis' Legion and in particular how putting it in a limbo will affect Jon. It was basically the one distinctive element of Jon's history in comparison to classic Superman. It's not that the character has much of a history once that specific element is deleted.
    I'm also curious to know the consequences if Johns' comeback to DC in full force (which is a bit of a surprise, let's face it) is such a huge success that it will influence other elements of the Superman lore - including the secret identity, which I am quite sure he will do his best to reintegrate.
    Last edited by Myskin; 08-19-2022 at 01:15 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Legion of Superheroes needs a young writer with art that appeals to a younger demographic. Continuously reiterating the same thing with decades of contradictory backstory across several different versions for the dwindling audience of existing Legion fans has repeatedly failed since the '00s.

Johns' name would likely get eyes on it but if DC want to be serious about the Legion it needs something completely fresh, preferably with a few books running alongside each other.

Mostly, DC just needs to decide why the Legion needs to exist now, why the Legion is important to today's audience, and then put their focus on communicating/promoting that to fans.

Currently all they've got is that the property is old, occasionally tied to Superman, and was really good in the '80's. (Teen) Titans has the same problem.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Legion of Superheroes needs a young writer with art that appeals to a younger demographic. Continuously reiterating the same thing with decades of contradictory backstory across several different versions for the dwindling audience of existing Legion fans has repeatedly failed since the '00s.

Johns' name would likely get eyes on it but if DC want to be serious about the Legion it needs something completely fresh, preferably with a few books running alongside each other.

Mostly, DC just needs to decide why the Legion needs to exist now, why the Legion is important to today's audience, and then put their focus on communicating/promoting that to fans.

Currently all they've got is that the property is old, occasionally tied to Superman, and was really good in the '80's. (Teen) Titans has the same problem.
    I think the Legion is a fun concept with a great cast of characters and a cool setting, but I'm already a fan of it so you'd need someone who can capture that for a new audience.