Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I expect at some point, hopefully sooner than later, there will be a mini called War of 4 Legions written by Johns. After that I think the Legion will get re-launched as a monthly title written by someone else. Maybe co-written by Johns but I doubt he'd tackle the Legion on a monthly. I'll buy it if he does but I don't see it happening. Just keep Levitz and Giffen far, far away please. They created tons of amazing Legion stories in the past but their last run was boring to awful. The Legion ultimately needs new blood as far as creative teams go.
    I still want a Legions of *One* World, where a team of Legionnaires are assembled from the various unique characters who *don't* exist in all four continuities. No Founders, no Brainy, no Dreamy, Ultra Boy, Shadow Lass, etc.

Yes to Tyroc, Rond Vidar/Green Lantern, Tellus, Dragonwing, Glorith, Karate Kid 2/Myg, Devlin O'Ryan/Reflex, Spider-Girl, Nightwind, Kid Quantum 2, Gates, Monstress, Kinetix, Dragonmage, XS, GEAR, Theena, Gazelle, Dream Boy, Turtle, Monster Boy, X-Ray Girl, Dr. Fate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    I totally agree with you on this and I love Frank's work. The worst part is that other artists make those designs look even worse. More clunky, Silver Age like and in the worst way. I'm hoping if the Legion that Johns brings us next is the Retroboot team that they get new looks. I didn't hate them all but the only one that looked futuristic was Wildfire. While I didn't love ALL of Sook's Legion designs at least they were all future forward. I really think the Legion needs to look like they come from the actual future instead of some bad 1960's sci fi b-movie.
    One thing I liked about the classic team, as opposed to the 5YL/Reboot/Threeboot/Bendisboot teams is that all of the designs accumulated over decades from different artists, with very different design sensibilities. In the 5YL/Reboot/Threeboot/Bendisboot, the *entire team* had costumes designed by a single artist, and even the ones that were different, still had stylistic DNA that made them feel same-same-y to me, and not *AT ALL* like a group of people from *a dozen different planets* with, most likely, *wildly* different tastes and trends and color choices and ideas of what's cool or appropriate or sexy or practical. A bunch of different clashing styles, for me, was a huge plus.

If everyone dresses the same, it seems less like a team full of people from different worlds and cultures.

As for Frank Quitely, I find that he draws excellent figures (often nicely adult figures, and less like 'teenaged and twenty-something models cast as experienced adult heroes'), good costumes (nice wrinkly fabric, instead of suits that seem like spray-painted anatomy lessons), etc. but oh wow, do I not like when he draws people smiling. Too many teeth. Every smile looks like a pained rictus, a death-grimace, that never seems to reach the eyes, like only their mouth is happy to see me ('cause they are going to eat me?), but their eyes are wide like a shark's eyes and not smiling *at all.* I remember loving his work on Midnight Nation (perhaps 'cause nobody really smiled that much?) and especially the first few issues of Supreme Power, but, again, not so much smiling. When he draws Superman, who smiles a lot, or the Legion, who tend to be from an upbeat positive future, it feels a little uncanny valley to me, like they are a bunch of creepy pretenders, grinning to lure me to come closer so they can stuff me in the van and abduct me...
    Last edited by Sutekh; 08-06-2023 at 07:51 PM.

Arr you mixing up Quitely with Gary Frank?

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As for Frank Quitely, I find that he draws excellent figures (often nicely adult figures, and less like 'teenaged and twenty-something models cast as experienced adult heroes'), good costumes (nice wrinkly fabric, instead of suits that seem like spray-painted anatomy lessons), etc. but oh wow, do I not like when he draws people smiling. Too many teeth. Every smile looks like a pained rictus, a death-grimace, that never seems to reach the eyes, like only their mouth is happy to see me ('cause they are going to eat me?), but their eyes are wide like a shark's eyes and not smiling *at all.* I remember loving his work on Midnight Nation (perhaps 'cause nobody really smiled that much?) and especially the first few issues of Supreme Power, but, again, not so much smiling. When he draws Superman, who smiles a lot, or the Legion, who tend to be from an upbeat positive future, it feels a little uncanny valley to me, like they are a bunch of creepy pretenders, grinning to lure me to come closer so they can stuff me in the van and abduct me...
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Seems so. Lets compare:

Gary Frank:

Frank Quitely:
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Yes. My bad!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwluZ...RlODBiNWFlZA==
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CwYwvP2L...RlODBiNWFlZA==

Clayton Henry is working on a new project that seemingly involved Mon-El, Superman, and Jor-El. Maybe DC is finally putting together a new Legion book?
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Clayton Henry is working on a new project that seemingly involved Mon-El, Superman, and Jor-El. Maybe DC is finally putting together a new Legion book?
    I've been craving good Mon-El content.

Clayton Henry is working on a new project that seemingly involved Mon-El, Superman, and Jor-El.
    A very classic looking Mon-El and a very friendly relationship with Jor-El it seems. The unBendising seems to be progressing. Or at least that is my desire.

Maybe DC is finally putting together a new Legion book?
    That could be possible. But still waiting for something official. Are we sure however than this is not a commission work?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    A very classic looking Mon-El and a very friendly relationship with Jor-El it seems. The unBendising seems to be progressing. Or at least that is my desire.

That could be possible. But still waiting for something official. Are we sure however than this is not a commission work?
    Click the link, he says the Mon-El is a cover for his next DC project.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Click the link, he says the Mon-El is a cover for his next DC project.
    I had overlooked that part. But knowing than the Daxamite hero is returning makes me happy. But still, after so many false starts, I hope this is about the Legion and not just a variant cover.
    Last edited by Thor-Ul; 08-31-2023 at 06:18 PM.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Seems so. Lets compare:

Gary Frank:

Frank Quitely:
    I really hate Gary Frank's lips.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    I really hate Gary Frank's lips.
    Half the time Gary Frank tries to draw someone looking happy/excited, they look psychotic. 2/3 on the above. Lol.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Half the time Gary Frank tries to draw someone looking happy/excited, they look psychotic. 2/3 on the above. Lol.
    LOL I can’t unsee it now.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

That's very true. I'm glad he's moved away from drawing Clark as Christopher Reeve, reading Secret Origins can be uncanny valley.

OMG I never noticed that. Now I always will...

That's very true. I'm glad he's moved away from drawing Clark as Christopher Reeve, reading Secret Origins can be uncanny valley.
    And I always liked his Christopher Reeve Superman. I wonder if I'll like the new one...

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yeah, I think it's the eyes and eyebrows. One of the nitpicks I've always had with Frank.

While I do like Chris Reeve, for one reason or another I never really liked Frank's version of him. Although I do like Torres version in Superman 78, so take that for what it is.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog