Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

My guess is that if Johns returns he will restore Clark's version of the Legion as the defacto Legion, with Bendis's yet another offshoot of another universe. That will make me happy.

He'll probably also make it that Dr. Manhattan was behind the mix up again or something else Watchmen related seeing as he's still on that kick. That will make me cringe, lol.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    My instinctive response was cringe. There's probably some deep psychological reason for that.

How much does it pay to write comics these days? I gather they make tons more money than in the Classic days when comics were a mass market item--and the writers had to pump out loads of scripts each month just to put food on the table. Although, why today's writers should make more money seems counter-intuitive as I don't think publishing is nearly as profitable as in the old days (which probably means the owners of the publishing companies were taking all that money for themselves back in the old days).

I doubt that writing comics can pay Geoff Johns the income he's used to now--so there must be some behind the scenes extra incentive for why he'd come back to the medium even short-term.
    It’s not always about money. Johns clearly loves comics as a medium. And having read interviews with comic writers who left to go to Hollywood, the pay might be better, but the length of time between writing and the release of the final product (if their scripts end up getting shot at all) can be frustrating when you are used to the relatively rapid pace from comic script to publication.

Astonishing Member

Anyway, I don't think that it will be the legion of FOUR worlds, but rather FIVE worlds or something, with the FIFTH world being the Five Years Later legion or whatever it was called, or a brand new Legion which may incorporate all of the previous versions, including Clark Kent's and Jor El's legion. Basically a merged version of all the previous Legions.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Anyway, I don't think that it will be the legion of FOUR worlds, but rather FIVE worlds or something, with the FIFTH world being the Five Years Later legion or whatever it was called, or a brand new Legion which may incorporate all of the previous versions, including Clark Kent's and Jor El's legion. Basically a merged version of all the previous Legions.
    What in the hell did i just read?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    What in the hell did i just read?
    Some people are assuming that Johns is bringing back the original Legion in a storyline whose title will be "Wars of the Legions" or "The Legions of Four Worlds". The title appears in a panel from Flashpoint beyond:
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/retu...oint-beyond-0/
    However, I am under the impression that he isn't just going to bring back all of the previous versions of the Legion but a fifth one as well.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

At this stage, I'll take anything involving the Legion of Superheroes, but my ideal scenario would be Geoff Johns writing the Retroboot/original version in an ongoing book. Not only do I enjoy his writing immensely, but I feel like only he has the commercial pull (albeit diminished in recent years perhaps) to make it stick and to make it last for a while. Having them back in just a mini, or having another, less high-profile writer at the helm isn't gonna cut it for me.

On the art side, the Legion has of course a long-standing tradition of having amazing artists and I hope whatever comes next is no exception. Mikel Janin on JSA is a wonderful choice and I hope the Legion gets someone of that caliber.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wait, what? An ACTUAL teenager?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    And that breaking several laws about child exploitation.
    It never really occurred to me that Mort Weisinger was breaking any U.S. laws on child labour. Exploitation, yes, but illegal? *shrug*

Jim was doing all the work at home (where he lived with his parents) and he would do story conferences over the phone. I doubt anyone was keeping track of the time. He would draw and write the whole comic book himself and then send that in by express post to New York. The pages would be re-pencilled/inked and lettered by others. Shooter only knew how to do comics this way, since he'd been making his own comic books before that. If he wasn't on the clock at home, I doubt anyone could say how many hours he put in--probably more than the hours I spent as a paper boy at that age.

I feel that the reason Shooter's was one of the greatest runs on the Legion was because he was the age of the characters and could bring his own experience as a teen to the work. He was the youngest Legion writer replacing the oldest Legion writer Edmond Hamilton (in his sixties by then), who left comics to go on a world tour with his wife Leigh Brackett.

There have been others who started in comics at such a young age, but I couldn't find any others that had done work on the Legion when they were Shooter's age. I was actually surprised that some were so old by the time they worked on the Legion.

My problem with Geoff Johns is he can't be bothered to find out information from the original comics--he just makes up his own facts. So while he loves to do tributes to classic runs, he gets all the details wrong and it's not really much of a tribute.

It does feel sometimes like people doing "tributes" just read wikipedia articles that are often badly written and rarely give much information about important details.

Preview for next issue of Flashpoint Beyond.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Still dying to know if we're getting a new Legion ongoing book and if Geoff is writing it. Fingers crossed we find something out this month with the new solicits.

"Do not trust future."

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Preview for next issue of Flashpoint Beyond.
    Wow, that's a big boast. I'm guessing Bonnie's had a personality makeover? No way was she making such claims in the 1960s.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Wow, that's a big boast. I'm guessing Bonnie's had a personality makeover? No way was she making such claims in the 1960s.
    I wonder if the presence of spoilers:
    Ra's Al Gul
    end of spoilersis a easter egg about which Legion is returning. After all, he is also a character with ties to the Legion.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Bonnie Baxter was introduced in 1959 as part of a foursome, called the Time Masters, along with her scientist boyfriend, his best brawny buddy and her little brother. Back in those days, women characters weren't the most outgoing or confident heroines. A more progressive view had developed in superhero comics in the past 60 plus years for characters like Bonnie Baxter, Judy Walton (1960), and some character from Marvel I can't seem to see right now (1961). Comparing how the same women appear in comics between the Kennedy and Biden administrations makes apples and oranges look like the same fruit.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Bonnie Baxter was introduced in 1959 as part of a foursome, called the Time Masters, along with her scientist boyfriend, his best brawny buddy and her little brother. Back in those days, women characters weren't the most outgoing or confident heroines. A more progressive view had developed in superhero comics in the past 60 plus years for characters like Bonnie Baxter, Judy Walton (1960), and some character from Marvel I can't seem to see right now (1961). Comparing how the same women appear in comics between the Kennedy and Biden administrations makes apples and oranges look like the same fruit.
    Sue Storm?