Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Retired

I recently found out about Marilyn vos Savant, the smartest person in the world, who became quite a big deal back in the 1980s (I didn't watch much T.V. in the 1980s, so I can see how I could have missed this). Maybe the Bonnie situation is inspired by her.

Yes, we were backward back in the 1960s--but think of who all the smartest people in the world have been in very recent comics--it's a sausage party! So maybe not everyone has come such a long way baby.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Sue Storm?
    Absolutely. Sue Storm was basically a plot device as the girl hostage in the early FF stories. Her invisibility powers were often used for hiding from danger so the boys could save the day. But that was way back in 1961 so, unfortunately, it’s not surprising.

lol, that was clearly a joke, describing the Invisible Woman as someone he couldn't see.

And the Time Masters were clearly a major inspiration for the Fantastic Four (exact same family makeup), along with the Challengers of the Unknown and the Justice League of America.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Absolutely. Sue Storm was basically a plot device as the girl hostage in the early FF stories. Her invisibility powers were often used for hiding from danger so the boys could save the day. But that was way back in 1961 so, unfortunately, it’s not surprising.
    That was basically the archetype of the 50's & 60' monsters/ adventurers movies cast: the scientist, the fighter, the kid and the girl.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

On the one hand, I know he loves them and would do his best. Furthermore, Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes was his best work with either characters...

But his recent output has been uninspired and slow, even if I enjoyed some of it, I wonder if it's time for him to move on to editing other writers.

Still, I expect they would at least have more congruent continuity than the Bendis Legion.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Well, related to the Legion of Super-Heroes, right now the bar is set really low.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    On the one hand, I know he loves them and would do his best. Furthermore, Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes was his best work with either characters...

But his recent output has been uninspired and slow, even if I enjoyed some of it, I wonder if it's time for him to move on to editing other writers.

Still, I expect they would at least have more congruent continuity than the Bendis Legion.
    Given that JSA book got downgraded from an ongoing to a 12 issue mini, there’s no way Johns is actually writing a Legion ongoing long term. At best he’s doing a mini that uses Hypertime to oust the Bendisboot from being the “canon” future and restoring the Retroboot to that position. That’s what I expect this “War of 4 Legions” to be. Then he’ll either co-write a Legion book with someone else that spins out of that event, similar to Flashpoint Beyond, or he’ll basically play editor like you suggest, doing for Legion what he did for everyone during Rebirth.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Given that JSA book got downgraded from an ongoing to a 12 issue mini, there’s no way Johns is actually writing a Legion ongoing long term. At best he’s doing a mini that uses Hypertime to oust the Bendisboot from being the “canon” future and restoring the Retroboot to that position. That’s what I expect this “War of 4 Legions” to be. Then he’ll either co-write a Legion book with someone else that spins out of that event, similar to Flashpoint Beyond, or he’ll basically play editor like you suggest, doing for Legion what he did for everyone during Rebirth.
    Any of the three options involving Johns, it gives me a lot more of hope. His tandem with Adams has been good enough in Flashpoint Beyond and if he either is working as editor or showrunner or co-writer, then at least the quality will be better then the last "legion" series.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe they'll use that idea that Jons' Legion are the descendants of the main Legion.
    This is what I'm hoping for and I'm an old school Legion fan that loved the Bendis Legion. I'm pretty sure this is what his team was going to be originally until Didio got his way. I'm all for bringing back as close to the original team as possible but also adding newer characters like Monster Boy. I think if anybody can pull that off is Johns.

Astonishing Member

Have to see what Legion will get to be Earth 0's future. And which gets shunted to Hypertime or another Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    This is what I'm hoping for and I'm an old school Legion fan that loved the Bendis Legion. I'm pretty sure this is what his team was going to be originally until Didio got his way. I'm all for bringing back as close to the original team as possible but also adding newer characters like Monster Boy. I think if anybody can pull that off is Johns.
    Yes, I suppose than Johns could made something like that. However I doubt it. A lot of elements contradicts both Legions, (Daxam, dammit) not forgetting the fact than Bendisboot had planet earth destroyed, which would make the OG Legion looks like a failure. Something than Johns is not going to permit.

And don't forget than Bendisboot was imposed on Johns on Doomsday Clock, so I don't think he had the deepest feelings for that iteration.

Also, consider than Bendisboot have the half of stories than Threeboot in the same period of time. I would dare to say than Threeboot have twice the fans than Bendisboot.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Have to see what Legion will get to be Earth 0's future. And which gets shunted to Hypertime or another Earth.
    I don't think than Bendisboot Legion will be the one than survives.

Honestly I don't think either the Threeboot or the Bendiboot have enough fans for them to move forward or be returned in the Threeboot's case. The easiest way to move forward is have the Bendisboot be some Time Trapper plot. Maybe their whole story is just another Time Trapper lie? Maybe they aren't who they think they are? I mean there are ways to handle it while not destroying their continuity or any of the other Legion continuities kinda like what was done with the Legion of 3 Worlds mini. Whatever they do I hope the end result is an ongoing starring the Retroboot that ignores what Levitz did with them but moves them forward with new team members like Monster Boy, XS, etc. Johns needs to work with an A list artist like Mahamud Asrar once he's done with Batman vs Robin.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

If this just ends up being a mini/limited series I'd love to see what Mark Waid would do with them after Johns is done.

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    If this just ends up being a mini/limited series I'd love to see what Mark Waid would do with them after Johns is done.
    The Legion? Apparently he’s going to use them in his BL book with Hitch but I don’t think he’s going to ever write a Legion book again. He wrote someone else’s version back during the 90s with the 5YL Legion and he did his own reboot of them, like Flash I’d wager he probably is done with them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I've got my hopes set on Jonathan Hickman getting a crack at the Legion. I know it's extremely unlikely, but he can handle a big cast, he's capable of dealing with considerable continuity, damn if the book won't look awesome with his graphic layouts.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?