Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    If this just ends up being a mini/limited series I'd love to see what Mark Waid would do with them after Johns is done.
    Waid has had multiple shots at the Legion with the original Reboot team being his idea and then actually writing the Threeboot. Personally I'd like him to stay far away from the team. I mean I love what he is doing on World's Finest right now but I'm nervous about working him on the Legion again. I could be wrong though. He's killing it on WF and using lots of DCU characters in ways that I'm loving.

Retired

Jim Shooter had three shots at the Legion--with diminishing returns each time--but it would be hard to top his original run.

I realize many in the industry mistrusted Shooter, but I still think it's utter crap how they torpedoed his run on the Threeboot--by bringing back the classic (more or less) Legion at the same time. And a Legion that he was much more qualified to write than Geoff Johns. That stinks to high heaven. Why bring back Jim if they were only going to shoot him in the back in the end?

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    If this just ends up being a mini/limited series I'd love to see what Mark Waid would do with them after Johns is done.
    Waid has done the Legion twice now. He along with Tom Peyer and Tom McCraw did the first year or so of the original Reboot. That run was actually pretty great and the 3 of them seemed to work well together plotting out both the Legion of Superheroes and Legionnaires series.

Then they let Waid do another full on reboot 5 or 6 years latter and it was garbage. The Threeboot was just so off in tone. Most of the characters were written like they were total assholes, and the plots were so forgetable I doubt anyone can tell you one thing that actually happened in that series. To top it all off he had most of the team thinking they commited genocide on the Dominators by destroying their planet, but the team was like "oh well so we killed them all so what". Only a few members knew they really shoved the planet into the phantom zone or something like that, but still the point that the team was ok commiting genocide shows how far Waid had fallen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Waid has done the Legion twice now. He along with Tom Peyer and Tom McCraw did the first year or so of the original Reboot. That run was actually pretty great and the 3 of them seemed to work well together plotting out both the Legion of Superheroes and Legionnaires series.

Then they let Waid do another full on reboot 5 or 6 years latter and it was garbage. The Threeboot was just so off in tone. Most of the characters were written like they were total assholes, and the plots were so forgetable I doubt anyone can tell you one thing that actually happened in that series. To top it all off he had most of the team thinking they commited genocide on the Dominators by destroying their planet, but the team was like "oh well so we killed them all so what". Only a few members knew they really shoved the planet into the phantom zone or something like that, but still the point that the team was ok commiting genocide shows how far Waid had fallen.
    If we are clear, the Threeboot was demanded by editorial. Waid has declared than he was willing to work with the reboot Legion but it was editorial who asked for a new full reboot. And we know who was the bigger fan of rebooting all the time, right?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Given that JSA book got downgraded from an ongoing to a 12 issue mini, there’s no way Johns is actually writing a Legion ongoing long term. At best he’s doing a mini that uses Hypertime to oust the Bendisboot from being the “canon” future and restoring the Retroboot to that position. That’s what I expect this “War of 4 Legions” to be. Then he’ll either co-write a Legion book with someone else that spins out of that event, similar to Flashpoint Beyond, or he’ll basically play editor like you suggest, doing for Legion what he did for everyone during Rebirth.
    That book going maxiseries as well as flirting with the idea of doing "multiversal/hypertime refugee" with Power Girl right there from the author who did that exact arc with PG gives me pause. I want to think that's not what Johns is doing, but somehow I worry anyway.

Still, bums me out it's only twelve issues.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Given that JSA book got downgraded from an ongoing to a 12 issue mini, there’s no way Johns is actually writing a Legion ongoing long term. At best he’s doing a mini that uses Hypertime to oust the Bendisboot from being the “canon” future and restoring the Retroboot to that position. That’s what I expect this “War of 4 Legions” to be. Then he’ll either co-write a Legion book with someone else that spins out of that event, similar to Flashpoint Beyond, or he’ll basically play editor like you suggest, doing for Legion what he did for everyone during Rebirth.
    Yeah given what seems to be happening with JSA being a 12 issue series rather than an ongoing, I have little hope the Legion a) will be an ongoing book and b) will be written by Johns aside from perhaps a first arc. JSA has much better chances of being a strong seller than the Legion and if they didn't score an ongoing, I don't see how the Legion could.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That book going maxiseries as well as flirting with the idea of doing "multiversal/hypertime refugee" with Power Girl right there from the author who did that exact arc with PG gives me pause. I want to think that's not what Johns is doing, but somehow I worry anyway.

Still, bums me out it's only twelve issues.
    Johns’ fixation on Hypertime is eye rolling. Might be a bit of a surprise but I find the very concept of Hypertime to be stupid and convoluted. His attempt to explain Hypertime and the Omniverse in Flashpoint Beyond was peak dumb nerd bullshit about things nobody cares about. Karen being a Kara from another Earth is simple and easy to understand, but I’m sure Johns is going to **** it all up by trying to tie her to his Metaverse concept somehow.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Johns’ fixation on Hypertime is eye rolling. Might be a bit of a surprise but I find the very concept of Hypertime to be stupid and convoluted. His attempt to explain Hypertime and the Omniverse in Flashpoint Beyond was peak dumb nerd bullshit about things nobody cares about. Karen being a Kara from another Earth is simple and easy to understand, but I’m sure Johns is going to **** it all up by trying to tie her to his Metaverse concept somehow.

Hey hypertime got us Black Zero ,so it wasn't all bad
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Astonishing Member

4 legions.

Anyway people need to stop jumping to negative conclusions.

Bendis 31st century Fate:

Johns 31st century Fate:

From the New Golden Age trailer. Sure looks like Johns has rebooted the timeline again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Dr. Fate...now with boobs! Again.

And who the hell is this?

I’m guessing she’s a Legionnaire and that’s a flight ring on her finger. Is she a Johns OC Super Daughter to pair with Helena Wayne? Ugh I really hope not.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dr. Fate...now with boobs! Again.
    At the very least she'll undoubtably be better written than whatever Bendis did with her

Granted not the highest of bars to pass

And who the hell is this?

I’m guessing she’s a Legionnaire and that’s a flight ring on her finger. Is she a Johns OC Super Daughter to pair with Helena Wayne? Ugh I really hope not.
    It looks more like Jade to me. Hair, GL ring, etc.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Absolutely. Sue Storm was basically a plot device as the girl hostage in the early FF stories. Her invisibility powers were often used for hiding from danger so the boys could save the day. But that was way back in 1961 so, unfortunately, it’s not surprising.
    It's been a while since I read early F.F. stories, but I recall her getting captured a handful of times. I'm sure this was back when Stan Lee actually had a hand in the stories. Once Lee got too busy, Jack Kirby ramped up Sue's involvement. Which Stan Lee did not like.