Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Spidey just keeps inching in the small wins in this run.

he survived on his own nice
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

That's a fun solution to the age-old Spidey falling cliffhanger situation. JRJR is a great storyteller. Reminds me of the skydiving no-parachute record that was broken recently where the guy falls from so high into a tiny net that breaks his fall safely, the guy I'm talking about was a stunt performer in the Iron Man 3 skydiving scene.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    That's a fun solution to the age-old Spidey falling cliffhanger situation. JRJR is a great storyteller. Reminds me of the skydiving no-parachute record that was broken recently where the guy falls from so high into a tiny net that breaks his fall safely, the guy I'm talking about was a stunt performer in the Iron Man 3 skydiving scene.
    That's pretty cool. Even if I'm not as aesthetically pleased with JRJR's art these days, he's at least still a great storyteller.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

While I’m not a fan of his creative directions in general, Wells is good at these small tense moments and clever solutions to get out of trouble.

BANNED

Wells is a good writer held back by his worst preferences.

Astonishing Member

I haven't liked current JRJR that much lately, but these pages are fire. His storytelling talents are intact at least.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Wells is a good writer held back by his worst preferences.
    Wells a very good writer with a lot of awful ideas. His execution is on point, his plotlines however...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Wells a very good writer with a lot of awful ideas. His execution is on point, his plotlines however...
    Wells gravitates toward villains and morally dark gray characters, so his heroes are mostly blank slates. He can only apparently write Peter if Peter is angry/sad, and Wells put Peter in a mystery box so he doesn't have to worry about diving into Peter's internal life (because if he does, the mystery box will be blown wide open as Peter should know full well what happened and why Peter is angry/sad). Wells can't write female characters who aren't villainous at all. All the other writers of Beyond managed to write a kick a$$, sympathetic and likeable MJ, only Wells fell down and wrote her OOC and as a "wring hands and worry" stereotype.

He's a technically proficient writer, far better than Slott, but he can't get out of his own way and write to the characters.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 08-19-2022 at 11:24 AM.

Astonishing Member

You know the saddest part here? Marvel will never let Peter die, at least permanently, only because it loves to torture him!

Astonishing Member

They won't kill off their most popular character, because they want to make money.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    They won't kill off their most popular character, because they want to make money.
    I know, but it seems Marvel's way to make money out of Spidey is by torturing him.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    You know the saddest part here? Marvel will never let Peter die, at least permanently, only because it loves to torture him!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I know, but it seems Marvel's way to make money out of Spidey is by torturing him.
    Pretty much this, and cosigning what everyone here was saying about Wells being a technically better writer unable to get out of the way of his worst impulses in regard to how he writes these characters.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Ever since they killed his uncle, yeah.