Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Venom 2022 appreciation thread

So I made a new venom appreciation thread about the current run of venom and leather protector. I yeah I am caught with the current run let’s give venom former villain turned antihero some love

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Sounds good to me. What do you think of Eddie as the new King in Black and his son Dylan as the new Venom?
    The spider is always on the hunt.

OMG! I have been waiting a looong time for the return of Eddie's Clubhouse, but this is the next best thing!!

Thanks, Toxin45!!!

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-18-2022 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Yay, I'll always love Classic Venom. I'm not sure about Dylan but Eddie still rocks.

Odd, how every Spidey character but Peter gets to evolve and develop over time. I suppose Peter is the Goku of his world; a flat character arc who never really changes but whose actions dramatically change those around him (often for the better).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Was wondering why there was no Venom thread in sight!
    I'll admit, the recent Venom run has not been for me. I appreciate it's existence and it's clear it has an audience that heavily enjoys the route it's taking but it kinda strays too far away from what I liked about the character.
    However, despite that, I loved the Lethal Protector mini. Filler-ish and ultimately not that important? Completely. Enjoyable and fun to read? Absolutely!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yo I was wondering when there would be a Venom thread, finally. Love Venom and Eddie, probably the greatest villain turned anti-hero of all time.

I will say I am enjoying the current run but I do feel like it could be a lot better if it sorta slowed down and chilled for a bit. I feel like this would really help Dylan as a character since he doesn't have space to downtime since he's constantly on the run and attacked by Meridus' forces.

It prolly stems from Meridus being too much of an invincible villain at this point. Due to being a constant throughout the run and all his plans occurring without a hitch it becomes too much. Dude really needs a good ****-up, and Eddie actually managing to get one over the duplicitous bastard.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Yo I was wondering when there would be a Venom thread, finally. Love Venom and Eddie, probably the greatest villain turned anti-hero of all time.

I will say I am enjoying the current run but I do feel like it could be a lot better if it sorta slowed down and chilled for a bit. I feel like this would really help Dylan as a character since he doesn't have space to downtime since he's constantly on the run and attacked by Meridus' forces.

It prolly stems from Meridus being too much of an invincible villain at this point. Due to being a constant throughout the run and all his plans occurring without a hitch it becomes too much. Dude really needs a good ****-up, and Eddie actually managing to get one over the duplicitous bastard.
    Apparently bedlam is an evil version of Eddie and hints of merridus also being Eddie’s evil alternative future self or something

I really didn't liked how Flash acted in this week Secret Avengers, He hasn't been like this for a long time...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post

Yeah, I can generally agree with that. I'm fine enough with Dylan as he stands, but he's had no real room to breathe and grow, whether in Cates's run where he was introduced or even in the current Ewing/V run. And yes, f*** Meridius; I also hope Eddie uses his newfound time-travel abilities to find an angle that devious SOB wasn't expecting and f*** him up that way.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    So I made a new venom appreciation thread about the current run of venom and leather protector. I yeah I am caught with the current run let’s give venom former villain turned antihero some love
    I'm surprised no one commented on the "leather protector" bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Yay, I'll always love Classic Venom. I'm not sure about Dylan but Eddie still rocks.

Odd, how every Spidey character but Peter gets to evolve and develop over time. I suppose Peter is the Goku of his world; a flat character arc who never really changes but whose actions dramatically change those around him (often for the better).
    Goku not changing much is at least in-character for him, because he's a simple minded monkey who likes fighting, it's awkward for someone like Spidey to be so static.

Not that I'd say DB characters change that much besides "Hey I'm not evil now", but hey lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    ...Goku not changing much is at least in-character for him, because he's a simple minded monkey who likes fighting, it's awkward for someone like Spidey to be so static.

Not that I'd say DB characters change that much besides "Hey I'm not evil now", but hey lol.
    Well, alignment is a major change.

Plus, Piccolo Jr's redemption/atonement arc in DBZ was a thing of pure narrative beauty. Be advised if you disagree on this last point we can't be friends anymore because I'm team Piccolo/Gohan-mentor/mentee all the way, just kidding (about the disagreement part anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, alignment is a major change.

Plus, Piccolo Jr's redemption/atonement arc in DBZ was a thing of pure narrative beauty. Be advised if you disagree on this last point we can't be friends anymore because I'm team Piccolo/Gohan-mentor/mentee all the way, just kidding (about the disagreement part anyway).
    as long as you dont go around saying he is the boy father we cool
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    as long as you dont go around saying he is the boy father we cool
    Well, not biologically anyway.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

In fairness Gohan doesn't have any healthy parental figures. His actual parents are dysfunctional to varying degrees and regardless of his change of heart, Piccolo is still the same guy who kidnapped and beat up a 5 year old.

Which granted is somewhat better off than Dylan's situation as he mostly lived with his abusive grandfather before Eddie came in.

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Was wondering why there was no Venom thread in sight!
    I'll admit, the recent Venom run has not been for me. I appreciate it's existence and it's clear it has an audience that heavily enjoys the route it's taking but it kinda strays too far away from what I liked about the character.
    However, despite that, I loved the Lethal Protector mini. Filler-ish and ultimately not that important? Completely. Enjoyable and fun to read? Absolutely!
    In agreement with you about the mini-series.
    Nice to see an earthbound Eddie handling different types of the criminal element (street-level; big business; foreign countries; etc.):

Last edited by K7P5V; 08-22-2022 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.