Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDemon View Post
    Also true...I wonder why, of all concepts, that was the one they went with. They could as easily used the Hydra connection from First Avenger and built the Avengers franchise around the Masters of Evil via Zemo, instead of building towards Infinity Gauntlet.

Honestly, I would have preferred it. Marvel's "cosmic" is a pale shadow of DCs. Thanos ( as an example) is a poor man's Darkseid at best, IMO. The Kree and the Skrulls (or the Chi'tauri, since Skrulls are a F4 property) would also make a good sci-fi-based platform (can't use the Shi'Ar because I assume they're tied up with the X-license).
    I really think at least part of the reason Marvel Studios went cosmic was to beat DC to the punch. DC is in a "me too" position right now when it comes to their films. Marvel going a route like Cosmic in which they aren't even close to as fleshed out as DC's essentially puts them in front on that end, even though they logically shouldn't be. But that's on DC/WB for dropping the ball on GL. Plus the Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation era's were both awesome! They "felt" very cinematic in scope from the beginning and were self contained enough and mainly focused on less popular characters for them to not worry about relying on actor's/character's from the other films/series to carry it. Kevin Feige also made it very clear that they want to hit ALL genre's. They have traditional super hero on lock with Iron Man/Avengers, they have Fantasy(kind of) with Thor, Spy/Espionage with Cap, Cosmic/Sci-Fi with GotG, and it appears pretty soon they'll have supernatural/horror with Dr.Strange. The idea is to let the other studios like Sony, Fox, WB fight for the scraps while Marvel/Disney will always "get there first".

Oh, and sorry to the New Warriors fans for re-opening old Civil War wounds...we cosmic fans have been getting the rug pulled out from under us for a while now but we haven't reached a New Warriors level screw-job quiet yet....although, if they ruin Star Lord or Nova's characters with some sort of cowardly or noobish actions in this big Original Sin reveal then we'll be coming awfully close. >_<

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    I really think at least part of the reason Marvel Studios went cosmic was to beat DC to the punch. DC is in a "me too" position right now when it comes to their films. Marvel going a route like Cosmic in which they aren't even close to as fleshed out as DC's essentially puts them in front on that end, even though they logically shouldn't be. But that's on DC/WB for dropping the ball on GL. Plus the Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation era's were both awesome! They "felt" very cinematic in scope from the beginning and were self contained enough and mainly focused on less popular characters for them to not worry about relying on actor's/character's from the other films/series to carry it. Kevin Feige also made it very clear that they want to hit ALL genre's. They have traditional super hero on lock with Iron Man/Avengers, they have Fantasy(kind of) with Thor, Spy/Espionage with Cap, Cosmic/Sci-Fi with GotG, and it appears pretty soon they'll have supernatural/horror with Dr.Strange. The idea is to let the other studios like Sony, Fox, WB fight for the scraps while Marvel/Disney will always "get there first".
    Doesn't help that two of Marvel's biggest franchises (traditionally) they can't use (Spidey and X-Men).

We also have to keep in mind that it seems to be a pattern with big-screen superhero movies that the more "cosmic" they get (F4 2, GL) the worse they seem to do. Thor, as you point out, is cast more as "fantasy" than "cosmic", and it also features more basically humanoid "aliens" than, for example, the menagerie of "weird critters" of the GL Corps.

I think GOTG is going to push the edge of the "cosmic" envelope for the big screen. With Groot and Rocket front and center, it's going to be a hard sell to Joe Buttinseat.

Oh, and sorry to the New Warriors fans for re-opening old Civil War wounds...we cosmic fans have been getting the rug pulled out from under us for a while now but we haven't reached a New Warriors level screw-job quiet yet....although, if they ruin Star Lord or Nova's characters with some sort of cowardly or noobish actions in this big Original Sin reveal then we'll be coming awfully close. >_<
    Don't forget that Nova suffered the indignity of being "Hawkeye-d" in Secret Avengers AND had to put up with a beginner (Cap) using his powers better than he ever could.