Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, in a lot of ways I'm thinking this is more a Starlord story than anything else.

And it's why Peter came back but has been silent about Rich. Something happened which Peter doesn't seem to eager to mention to anyone. And that has Original Sin written all over it.
    I hope Peter didn't Leave Rich for dead just to save himself.
    Imagine...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, in a lot of ways I'm thinking this is more a Starlord story than anything else.

And it's why Peter came back but has been silent about Rich. Something happened which Peter doesn't seem to eager to mention to anyone. And that has Original Sin written all over it.
    Yeah, rarely do these things surprise. Details, sure - full of twists and surprises. But most of the big swooping plotlines are telegraphed. Rich is either dead or hopelessly screwed up, all in the service of Starlord's character. His existence will have been reduced to Starlord-backstory-angst.

Yeah, I'm a little bitter. That's what drove me from DC, really - they made it impossible to get attached to anyone. Everything reboots/reforms/dies, and the turnaround is so blazingly fast.

I was getting a little burned out on comics, and RR-Nova did a lot to turn that around. Loved his stories, really got to like the character. Seemed like he had a solid following, but - new writers driving the whole line, new editors, and they either found him dull, or had what they thought was a new-cooler-idea for the Nova brand, making Rich baggage. As a fan, its hard not to feel a little like I'm considered baggage as well. Sigh.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

By the way, no coincidence the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is also out in August.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I have a feeling Rider fans will be very happy today.
    That depends, if they end up saying he was the only one who died I can assure you we will be very pissed!

BANNED

If Marvel in their infinite wisdom decided to kill off Richard Rider, it's a pretty safe bet they will start receiving a lot of hate mail. Rider is THE NOVA as far as most fans are concerned, and while this kid Nova they have running around is a nice tie in to the cartoon show on Disney, the real fans don't like him (as the sales number of the new Nova series can attest).

BRING BACK RICHARD RIDER THE ONE TRUE NOVA!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    By the way, no coincidence the Guardians of the Galaxy movie is also out in August.
    I've been begging for a Rhomann Dey origin mini for years now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    the real fans don't like him
    So being a fan of Sam doesn't make you a real fan now?
    What if you like Sam and Rich? Are you a half fan?

I guess those other thousand or so Nova's don't count.
    Go figure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hope they don't pull something like what DC did with Wally West, in which the answer/return is just a big F-U to his fans. I would rather have Rich be MIA than suffer a grizzly death.
    Yeah, it sucks he's twelve now. I wanted him to be a teenager, dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post
    Yeah, rarely do these things surprise. Details, sure - full of twists and surprises. But most of the big swooping plotlines are telegraphed. Rich is either dead or hopelessly screwed up, all in the service of Starlord's character. His existence will have been reduced to Starlord-backstory-angst.

Yeah, I'm a little bitter. That's what drove me from DC, really - they made it impossible to get attached to anyone. Everything reboots/reforms/dies, and the turnaround is so blazingly fast.

I was getting a little burned out on comics, and RR-Nova did a lot to turn that around. Loved his stories, really got to like the character. Seemed like he had a solid following, but - new writers driving the whole line, new editors, and they either found him dull, or had what they thought was a new-cooler-idea for the Nova brand, making Rich baggage. As a fan, its hard not to feel a little like I'm considered baggage as well. Sigh.
    Very well put.

The Big 2 know it's a risk when they make these huge sweeping changes. In pursute of the ever elusive "New Reader", they tend to drop older fans by the wayside.
    They expect SOME people to jump off, but they figure more NEW people will either balance it out or hopefully increase readership. It's cold hard business, I think most of us realize that.
    But I'm with you, it's tough not feeling slighted as a result of it.

What's happening with the current NOVA and GotG run is a good recent example of this. Us fans who supported these titles before it "became cool" were excited to see Marvel come to there senses and finally give Cosmic the focus it deserved.

Sadly, what we got was a watered down version of what we once championed.
    So watered down that it barely resembles anything that inspired the upcoming GotG film universe.

I think recently Richard Rider has sort of become the SYMBOL of the era that brought a lot of us BACK to Marvel Cosmic. Star Lord and the GotG may have been the "New" break out stars, and rightfully so! But Rich was our connection to them and the greater MU. Our Link to the older Cosmic MU and the now classic Annihilation era. Basically as HE grew, Marvel Cosmic as WE knew it also grew.

When you look it at like that and see NO sign, NO mention, or NO answers as to what happened to what many fans considered their virtual surrogate, it's not hard to imagine WHY they are ticked off and why the new Nova is tanking.

That being said, this is Marvel's chance to correct ship!
    I see EVERYTHING up to this point that has been going on in both Nova and GotG as just them spinning their wheels. THIS is the answer that fans of the Annihilation era were waiting for.
    These are the fans that supported that small overlooked corner of the MU back in 2006. It's their support that lead to that incredible run and inspired a major motion picture.
    I SINCERELY HOPE that Marvel/Bendis breaks there recent trends and actually TRIES to make those LOYAL fans happy.

/fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Superkreep; 05-06-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I hope they don't pull something like what DC did with Wally West, in which the answer/return is just a big F-U to his fans. I would rather have Rich be MIA than suffer a grizzly death.
    Pretty sure no big brown bears will be involved.

All-New Member

Bendis....I've never seen him give good explanations about anything.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
    So being a fan of Sam doesn't make you a real fan now?
    What if you like Sam and Rich? Are you a half fan?

I guess those other thousand or so Nova's don't count.
    Go figure.
    Kill the Half-Breed!

Personally I feel that Sam makes a good Earth Nova but Nova is supposed to be greater than that and only Richard can fulfill position as the Universal Nova.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Kill the Half-Breed!

Personally I feel that Sam makes a good Earth Nova but Nova is supposed to be greater than that and only Richard can fulfill position as the Universal Nova.
    His arc with Beta Ray Bill is space was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by odum View Post

well it was not ALL in service of pumping up QUill...it was equal parts pumping up the potential teen cash cow Loeb brought forth in Sam. He may be a salvageable character yet, but hes been botched.

Quote Originally Posted by vaf2675 View Post
    If Marvel in their infinite wisdom decided to kill off Richard Rider, it's a pretty safe bet they will start receiving a lot of hate mail. Rider is THE NOVA as far as most fans are concerned, and while this kid Nova they have running around is a nice tie in to the cartoon show on Disney, the real fans don't like him (as the sales number of the new Nova series can attest).

I like your moxie, but where have you been? We've been shirieking for him to come back and to explain this stuff for a few years now. Marvel let too much time go by...if they want to kill RIder perma kill it will be like the ULTIMATE betrayal..(yet again) I dont mean to pigeon hole them into a plot (especially when i think i have the whole thing figured out) but they need to finally tread respectful here. Bendis can earn some points here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Very well put.

The Big 2 know it's a risk when they make these huge sweeping changes. In pursute of the ever elusive "New Reader", they tend to drop older fans by the wayside.
    They expect SOME people to jump off, but they figure more NEW people will either balance it out or hopefully increase readership. It's cold hard business, I think most of us realize that.

What's happening with the current NOVA and GotG run is a good recent example of this. Us fans who supported these titles before it "became cool" were excited to see Marvel come to there senses and finally give Cosmic the focus it deserved.

So watered down that it barely resembles anything that inspired the upcoming GotG film universe.

I think recently Richard Rider has sort of become the SYMBOL of the era that brought a lot of us BACK to Marvel Cosmic. Star Lord and the GotG may have been the "New" break out stars, and rightfully so! But Rich was our connection to them and the greater MU. Our Link to the older Cosmic MU and the now classic Annihilation era. Basically as HE grew, Marvel Cosmic as WE knew it also grew.

When you look it at like that and see NO sign, NO mention, or NO answers as to what happened to what many fans considered their virtual surrogate, it's not hard to imagine WHY they are ticked off and why the new Nova is tanking.

I see EVERYTHING up to this point that has been going on in both Nova and GotG as just them spinning their wheels. THIS is the answer that fans of the Annihilation era were waiting for.
    These are the fans that supported that small overlooked corner of the MU back in 2006. It's their support that lead to that incredible run and inspired a major motion picture.
    I SINCERELY HOPE that Marvel/Bendis breaks there recent trends and actually TRIES to make those LOYAL fans happy.

/fingers crossed!

Your on to something here. Ithe situation does define a lot of the problems of the era

..first and foremost people read too much meandering Bendis garbage instead of DnA and Keith Giffen's books(this goes for now and then)

think their treatment of DnA and GIFFEN really kind of sums up some HUGE problems writers like Kirkman and Jenkins have pined about.....Marvel has really overlooked GIFFEN in this whole deal...and he is the one largely responsible for these characters being in play. Same with Annhilation editor Andy Schmidt. I'm pretty sure Giffen was work for hire during A1..and they took a good look at that awesome event and chose to let him walk to DC..

But this kind of stuff has been HUGE problem in the Quesada/ ALonso era...making rash and antagonistic judgements against characters and then taking them to a petty level. As far as i recall it started with Genis Vell and has hit up several other guys...a couple of years ago Rider was somehow added here...personally i think it was more to do with SPiderman's movie rights and putting a teen character they could make make films about...but who knows..

weve at least never had guys like quesada actually say what is wrong with RR..just whacker coming on here and saying how we are all dumb or dont know anything...its been an odd ride.

Nova , GOTG and all the Annhilation jazz had decent fan support for a good stretch..it was not a low seller! But marvel never even made the stuff that was happnening count in the greater Bendis Avengers Event worl so fans , after a good long while drifted away.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 05-06-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superkreep View Post
    Very well put.

/fingers crossed!

You write how we feel in great detail. I couldn't have said it better if I tried. Well done.