Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Orchis. They need to pull that trigger. Orchis has been so passive thus far and no one seems interested in building them up substantially or at a quick enough pace. The fact that thus far all orchis has really done on page is go about recruting people when they should have already been making moves is just breaking this, especially with the definite dates given thanks to the Hellfire Gala.

Remember when they were going to dump the sun on Krakoa? Whatever happened with that?

Why aren't they do anything now with the Eternal war? Wouldn't now be the oppurtune time to make their strike?
    If indeed it is Orchis I hope the city is finally ready.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I hate these "of X" relaunches because they keep recycling the same writers over and over again and it won't change anything. Tini, Percy, Duggan, etc. they all had 3 years to tell their stories, it's time to bring new people.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Orchis. They need to pull that trigger. Orchis has been so passive thus far and no one seems interested in building them up substantially or at a quick enough pace. The fact that thus far all orchis has really done on page is go about recruting people when they should have already been making moves is just breaking this, especially with the definite dates given thanks to the Hellfire Gala.

Remember when they were going to dump the sun on Krakoa? Whatever happened with that?

Why aren't they do anything now with the Eternal war? Wouldn't now be the oppurtune time to make their strike?
    Maybe someone realized dumping the.Sun in Krakoa is stupid because it would also lead to the destruction of the Earth. But anyway, the problem with Orchis is that ultimately requires a whole lot of PIS for Krakoa not annihilate in minutes from the moment they knew of it's existence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I hate these "of X" relaunches because they keep recycling the same writers over and over again and it won't change anything. Tini, Percy, Duggan, etc. they all had 3 years to tell their stories, it's time to bring new people.
    The thing is long runs can work. Duggan had a great long run on Deadpool. Authors like Busiek, Morrison, and Claremont have defined entire teams with long runs, and I'm sure there's plenty of others you could add as well. The issue is that these authors are not bringing the same level of quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Maybe someone realized dumping the.Sun in Krakoa is stupid because it would also lead to the destruction of the Earth. But anyway, the problem with Orchis is that ultimately requires a whole lot of PIS for Krakoa not annihilate in minutes from the moment they knew of it's existence.
    The main issue is that no one is going to be able to. I really doubt the writers could at this point come up with any credible threat to Krakoa that the fans would be buy because between shoving every single mutant into a relatively tiny box, power creep throughout the years, and fan's own expectations, there's no estabilished characters that could probably satisfy, and any group invented for it is also going to get called out by the fans for clearly being invented just to add threat.

I mean, it took how long before they started trying to add ways to die that the Protocols couldn't fix because they realized Krakoa was to OP to ever actually have any stakes? Well that and they didn't want to address the stakes you could make out of the resurrection protocols. Except Percy until he was told to knock that **** off before people started questioning if Logan is even logan anymore.
    Last edited by Saithor; 08-19-2022 at 07:37 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    So we got either Orchis making their move, Apocalypse sending out a signal for help from Amenth (possibly with Nate as the big bad), Sinister calling out for help (from the pit/another timeline?), Otherworld SOS that turns everyone super sexual, and Nate as Xavier. And we already have Nature Girl on a murder rampage.

I like where we're going with all this.

EDIT: And looks like Judgment Day #1 did quite well! Thanks for the info, PolarIceFire.
    For my own conjecture, I'd put Apoc & Amenth @ #1, w/a Rogue, Sunfire +team Otherworld rescue THISclose @ #2 [minus the random, impulsive embellishment of hot, fanfic hookups, unfortunately], and IF it were to come to pass... Xavier revealed to be really AoXM's Nate Grey, a distant #3, that likely wouldn't happen 'til more towards the endgame.

Yes, JD did pretty good, but look at that Spidey go... with his wallcrawl up the charts, even with a steep, non-incentivizing $9.99 as a possible impediment on 1 of his 2 placements. No prob, Jbenito, you're welcome.

The thing is long runs can work. Duggan had a great long run on Deadpool. Authors like Busiek, Morrison, and Claremont have defined entire teams with long runs, and I'm sure there's plenty of others you could add as well. The issue is that these authors are not bringing the same level of quality.

The main issue is that no one is going to be able to. I really doubt the writers could at this point come up with any credible threat to Krakoa that the fans would be buy because between shoving every single mutant into a relatively tiny box, power creep throughout the years, and fan's own expectations, there's no estabilished characters that could probably satisfy, and any group invented for it is also going to get called out by the fans for clearly being invented just to add threat.

I mean, it took how long before they started trying to add ways to die that the Protocols couldn't fix because they realized Krakoa was to OP to ever actually have any stakes? Well that and they didn't want to address the stakes you could make out of the resurrection protocols. Except Percy until he was told to knock that **** off before people started questioning if Logan is even logan anymore.
    The thing is that making Orchis isolated from governments and the world makes them less threatening, not more. There's no risk of civilian casualties, they are all in one place, etc. It's not something like Hydra, that's everywhere and nowhere at the same time, or the American government, which you can't attack without provoking WWIII and killing innocents. Not to mention apart from Karima and Nimrod, they don't have anyone that's a physical threat to the X-Men.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The thing is that making Orchis isolated from governments and the world makes them less threatening, not more. There's no risk of civilian casualties, they are all in one place, etc. It's not something like Hydra, that's everywhere and nowhere at the same time, or the American government, which you can't attack without provoking WWIII and killing innocents. Not to mention apart from Karima and Nimrod, they don't have anyone that's a physical threat to the X-Men.
    No, I completely agree, the way that Orchis has been built up has not been good and even if the X-men weren't as overpowered as they are, they would still be a difficult threat to take seriously. I just wanted to also comment on the fact that I don't think Marvel could come up with any actual threat that the fanbase as a whole would actually consider a threat. Not only have the x-men powers been increased massively, especially with the Omegas, but there is such a wide variety of powers avaliable that something that cannot be countered is unlikely to exist. I don't consider Orchis a good villain in any context. But I'm not going to be surprised that if in author interviews a decade down the line we are going to see a lot of talk from the people currently writing about the frustrations of trying to write villains to oppose Krakoa as a whole when the online fanbase might pull some minor mutant even marvel's archivist has barely heard of out of a one shot from decades ago whose power perfectly counters the villain and asks why didn't Krakoa use Mutant X,Y, or Z?

Orchis is in a weird spot to me. From Inferno you'd think Orchis no longer exists because Nimrod/Omega sentinel killed all their people and basically said that they dont need them anymore they're just going to make a machine empire.

But in comics after that you have Dr. Statis, Brand and Moira claiming they are with Orchis.

So did Nimrod change his mind? Did they just split off from Orchis and are doing their own thing?

I feel like the assumption should be that those two left the organization because with Moira there she would tell everyone that she is time traveling and did so to help mutants win because they always lose. Then Omega Sentinel would say she's a time traveller to make sure machines win cause they lost in her timeline to Krakoa. At that point Moira should realize the reason stuff is going sideways is because of Omega going back in time and meddling with the time stream ruining the W mutants should have had and realize she's on the wrong side.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

If that spoiler tweet is correct...and it is about Sinister and his nonsense in IXM, well...it's a relief. Not completely because it is about Sinister-ugh! but still quite ignorable.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Are y’all tired? Cause I’m tired.

Despite all the bad will the X-Office was generating with a lackluster Reign of X, Hickman leaving, and then a 2-3 month Wolverine event + pause on the line (no shade to Wolvie, just wish I could have read my regular team books when he was doing his thing), the start of Destiny of X was actually promising. The delays really aren’t their fault but only 5 issues into these Destiny of X books about half the line gets pulled into a big event, while other books are already ending and relaunching like KoX. And now I’m supposed to get excited for the next thing? Could we have even ONE year where the X-books aren’t relaunching and getting pulled into obtuse events/ crossovers and instead have the creators just tell the stories they wanna tell?
    What Destiny of X? All i saw was 30 issue event to stuck up our a@#

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    Orchis is in a weird spot to me. From Inferno you'd think Orchis no longer exists because Nimrod/Omega sentinel killed all their people and basically said that they dont need them anymore they're just going to make a machine empire.

But in comics after that you have Dr. Statis, Brand and Moira claiming they are with Orchis.

So did Nimrod change his mind? Did they just split off from Orchis and are doing their own thing?

I feel like the assumption should be that those two left the organization because with Moira there she would tell everyone that she is time traveling and did so to help mutants win because they always lose. Then Omega Sentinel would say she's a time traveller to make sure machines win cause they lost in her timeline to Krakoa. At that point Moira should realize the reason stuff is going sideways is because of Omega going back in time and meddling with the time stream ruining the W mutants should have had and realize she's on the wrong side.
    I think you misread Inferno. Nimrod never killed all of Orchis, just an orchis satellite base

Mighty Member

Also kinda wild that the only writer who's done anything substantial with Orchis (including Hickman.) is Duggan.

Ewing too if you restrict it purely to Brand

To JamJams point about Moira finding out the truth, I have this hunch that Devo is going to figure out that Omega Sentinel has been manipulating him, perhaps via Sinister. The Orchis humans' tune will likely change once they realize OS and Nimrod want humanity dead as well.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

No, I completely agree, the way that Orchis has been built up has not been good and even if the X-men weren't as overpowered as they are, they would still be a difficult threat to take seriously. I just wanted to also comment on the fact that I don't think Marvel could come up with any actual threat that the fanbase as a whole would actually consider a threat. Not only have the x-men powers been increased massively, especially with the Omegas, but there is such a wide variety of powers avaliable that something that cannot be countered is unlikely to exist. I don't consider Orchis a good villain in any context. But I'm not going to be surprised that if in author interviews a decade down the line we are going to see a lot of talk from the people currently writing about the frustrations of trying to write villains to oppose Krakoa as a whole when the online fanbase might pull some minor mutant even marvel's archivist has barely heard of out of a one shot from decades ago whose power perfectly counters the villain and asks why didn't Krakoa use Mutant X,Y, or Z?
    But it's not just about random obscure mutants. Even in that Orchis mission in House of X, if Magneto was with them, and we know he was available, then the fight is over before it starts. Hell, I don't remember any reason why Nightcrawler himself could just teleport around and do it alone once they got there.

Like I said, if their enemy is something like Hydra or the American government, it makes more sense why the X-men can't get rid of them. The Eternals are also a threat that can be of equal level, but then Gillen has to write them OTT to make us think Uranos and the Hex could have destroyed Arakko and Krakoa on their own, which is obviously non-sense.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lox View Post
    Sinister may have programed a kill switch into all the mutants that've been resurrected. It'd be a No More Mutants all over again, now with a fully dysfunctional society.
    This is one of the reason , I do not want Gambit to died and to be resurrected, I want a storyline for those mutant who never died and never touch by any of their resurrection process.