Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I think we're in the death throes of comic books. I don't know if the sales posted in the thread are accurate, and that's a whole other conversation, but I have to conclude sales for the X books ARE **** cause otherwise you would not need to constantly relaunch books and have "mega changing events" every 6 months just to get temporary boosts in sales. It's unfortunate cause I really think all these issues stagnate creativity and practically buries a run before it even gets started. It's sad that this is the model that needs to be upheld to keep these books afloat.

It's also very frustrating as a reader to slog through this mess. I recall reading that x books do well in trades and digitally so maybe Marvel doesn't care as much (or at least doesn't put a huge amount of focus) about the first run performance. But I wish they could find a strategy that wasn't so haphazard. It's hard for me to get invested in anything. A writer has about 12 issues to tell a story before it either ends is or relaunched, and 3 of those are probably sidetracked for an event tie in. It's like this for EVERY title and it makes them that much more hollow unfortunately.
    You said it better than I could. Totally agree with every word. These constant relaunches and events had not ignited my interest in reading books, but completely killed it. I gave up sometime after the X of Swords. Now only read reviews and occasionally borrow and check some issues from a friend, but I lost all interest in investing into books. Don't see the point of starting reading it, if it would likely be mired in events and then relaunched or outright canceled before it could develop.

I think a part of the reason the sells are dropping is exactly this; people like me are tired of constant relaunches and no longer bother to buy books since they would be relaunched again in a year or less, so buying them seems meaningless.
    Last edited by Harasar; 08-20-2022 at 08:59 AM.

S.O.S clearly indicates a distress signal from Krakoa to our lord and savior Dr. Victor von Doom which means muties are finally ready to admit that they've been wrong all along and future doesn't belong to mutants, humans, machines, Atlanteans, Inhumans, Eternals, Ultron, Kang, Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar, Brood, Badoon, Phalanx, Annihilus, Mangog, Surtur, Mephisto, Dormammu, Shuma Gorath, Chthon, Cyttorak or any other man-made, alien, cosmic or mystic horror out there, it belongs to Doom. So in order to repent for their previous sins, mutants submit their will to our Lord, who in return illuminates the way to a future freed from suffering and want, freed from the petty squables of his subject, freed from all forms of discrimination as under his watchful eye, everyone is equal. A future where false prophets like Hellion finally meet the fate they deserve within the deepest dungeons of Castle Doom and those who dedicated their life to preaching our Lords name have no reason to fear death as from our Lords hand, even death is a blessing. But in order to live in such a world some sacrifices have to be made. The way to the Garden of Eden is long and harsh. It is not for the faint of heart but for the soul brimming with admiration and unconditional love for our Lord who watched over them every step of the way. And finally once the world is cleansed from the heretics willing to deny Doom his glory, it can unite under one banner, THIS BANNER

Untitled.jpg

So rejoice brothers and sisters! Today humanities salvation is finally at hand and mutants are the ones taking the first step as it is written in Destiny's Diaries.

(Damn I should stop drinking and posting)

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

The number of times throughout the decades where it has been foretold with great certainty that comic books and the industry are coming to an ignominious end it's clearly a miracle by the grace of the Gods we're still here discussing these books day after day, month after month, year after year.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    No, Hickman left exactly because the writers and editors wanted to keep it going.
    Hickman left because they wouldn't pay him more than Substack.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Oooh in kind of sold on x swords of sinister. 10 chimeras that change everything. Will they bring about the apocalypse.
    Ahh, this sounds fun. Especially if it concludes with being rid of all Sinisters across all space and time.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    S.O.S clearly indicates a distress signal from Krakoa to our lord and savior Dr. Victor von Doom which means muties are finally ready to admit that they've been wrong all along and future doesn't belong to mutants, humans, machines, Atlanteans, Inhumans, Eternals, Ultron, Kang, Kree, Skrull, Shi'ar, Brood, Badoon, Phalanx, Annihilus, Mangog, Surtur, Mephisto, Dormammu, Shuma Gorath, Chthon, Cyttorak or any other man-made, alien, cosmic or mystic horror out there, it belongs to Doom. So in order to repent for their previous sins, mutants submit their will to our Lord, who in return illuminates the way to a future freed from suffering and want, freed from the petty squables of his subject, freed from all forms of discrimination as under his watchful eye, everyone is equal. A future where false prophets like Hellion finally meet the fate they deserve within the deepest dungeons of Castle Doom and those who dedicated their life to preaching our Lords name have no reason to fear death as from our Lords hand, even death is a blessing. But in order to live in such a world some sacrifices have to be made. The way to the Garden of Eden is long and harsh. It is not for the faint of heart but for the soul brimming with admiration and unconditional love for our Lord who watched over them every step of the way. And finally once the world is cleansed from the heretics willing to deny Doom his glory, it can unite under one banner, THIS BANNER

Untitled.jpg

So rejoice brothers and sisters! Today humanities salvation is finally at hand and mutants are the ones taking the first step as it is written in Destiny's Diaries.

(Damn I should stop drinking and posting)

It's time. (Kudos for the Hellion shout out)
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I will sub for Doom.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Dawn of X
    Reign of X
    Destiny of X

it's just an annual branding exercise. I bet this is teasing the post-Judgement Day era name, not another event.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant101 View Post
    Secrets Of Sinister....
    Oh it's DEFINITELY Secrets of Sinister. The way JDW was hyping him up and how he's become so central to the line, it has to be.

Astonishing Member

I think we're in the death throes of comic books.
    Do you mean the printed comics of the big two (Marvel and DC) specifically or comic books as a medium in general?

Because by most accounts comic books as medium both in printed form and as read online are still doing pretty well world wide.
    European comics have for a long time allready found their ways into general book stores (both online and physical), with comics for kids remaining ever strong in sales, while comics for more grown up readership have a comfortable niche and being priced accordingly.

Japanese comics are also booming and many of their publishers seem to have seen the benefit of transitioning into online publication for weekly/monthly released single issues and allowing binge reading at a price, while also still retaining the still very profitabe trade versions.

And then there are the various independent and local comic publishings in various countries.

So the medium is far from being in it's death throes, just like how videos didn't really kill the radio stars, audio books have gotten a full blown revival via streaming services and the written book has been called dead so many times it's getting silly.

However if you refer to the super hero comics of Marvel and DC... yeah things don't seem to look particular well, both judging by the few numbers we can actualy get from distributors and by how the people in charge are handling things.

I don't know if the sales posted in the thread are accurate, and that's a whole other conversation, but I have to conclude sales for the X books ARE **** cause otherwise you would not need to constantly relaunch books and have "mega changing events" every 6 months just to get temporary boosts in sales. It's unfortunate cause I really think all these issues stagnate creativity and practically buries a run before it even gets started. It's sad that this is the model that needs to be upheld to keep these books afloat.

It's also very frustrating as a reader to slog through this mess. I recall reading that x books do well in trades and digitally so maybe Marvel doesn't care as much (or at least doesn't put a huge amount of focus) about the first run performance. But I wish they could find a strategy that wasn't so haphazard. It's hard for me to get invested in anything. A writer has about 12 issues to tell a story before it either ends is or relaunched, and 3 of those are probably sidetracked for an event tie in. It's like this for EVERY title and it makes them that much more hollow unfortunately.
    By most account Marvel and DC are suffering from a crumbling system of their own making and the leadership seems utterly incapable of taking the risk and performing fundamental changes.

So yeah this is certainly not helping and it seems only a matter of time before it all breaks down entirely.

Though as mentioned above comic books are far from dead. So in turn it might only be a matter of time until the super heros of Marvel and DC return as comics in a form that is finaly sustainable again. However it will be a sad affair that a full blown crash might have been necessary first.
    Last edited by Grunty; 08-20-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't know why everyone is upset at this incredibly vague teaser

It turns out that this doesn’t have anything to do with X-Men but is the Marvel editors that they’ve locked in the closet for years sending out a cryptic call for help

I fully admit to my complete knee-jerk reaction, and recognise it for what it is. (I will not speak for anyone else).
    And while it may or may not be warranted in this instance (we'll know next week) it's not totally out of place or uncalled for, given my current head-space.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 08-20-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I'm quite curious about what they'll announce next week.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    People are just tired and burned out of X-men facing extinction and annihilation and everything that looks remotely like it sends people over the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Do you mean the printed comics of the big two (Marvel and DC) specifically or comic books as a medium in general?

Because by most accounts comic books as medium both in printed form and as read online are still doing pretty well world wide.
    European comics have for a long time allready found their ways into general book stores (both online and physical), with comics for kids remaining ever strong in sales, while comics for more grown up readership have a comfortable niche and being priced accordingly.

Japanese comics are also booming and many of their publishers seem to have seen the benefit of transitioning into online publication for weekly/monthly released single issues and allowing binge reading at a price, while also still retaining the still very profitabe trade versions.

And then there are the various independent and local comic publishings in various countries.

So the medium is far from being in it's death throes, just like how videos didn't really kill the radio stars, audio books have gotten a full blown revival via streaming services and the written book has been called dead so many times it's getting silly.

However if you refer to the super hero comics of Marvel and DC... yeah things don't seem to look particular well, both judging by the few numbers we can actualy get from distributors and by how the people in charge are handling things.

By most account Marvel and DC are suffering from a crumbling system of their own making and the leadership seems utterly incapable of taking the risk and performing fundamental changes.

So yeah this is certainly not helping and it seems only a matter of time before it all breaks down entirely.

Though as mentioned above comic books are far from dead. So in turn it might only be a matter of time until the super heros of Marvel and DC return as comics in a form that is finaly sustainable again. However it will be a sad affair that a full blown crash might have been necessary first.
    I haven’t read anything from DC in years since they mismanaged so many heroes. Discovery’s merger with Warner made me check up on how it is going and it looks bleak. Sure Batman will survive pretty much anything but for the whole line it seems they might consider yet another reboot.

Marvel is for me heading into similar territory. I am finding myself less and less enthusiastic about their output. Almost all my favorites are in bad shape, if they are being published at all. I find it so odd but essentially we have a company that has over and over again showed disdain for its readers and its properties. With readers I am sure there exists some real bad cases. I have heard social medias like twitter is horrible in that aspect. When it comes to their own properties it mystifies me. If it sells then publish it. Treat their characters with respect even if you personally don’t like them. There is a reason they sell. Not every character has the same appeal.