Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Nintendo should make a powerful console.

I've heard people make the argument that "Nintendo shouldn't make a powerful console to directly compete with Sony and Microsoft, since the N64 and GameCube, both powerful consoles, failed!"

Here's the thing: The N64 and GameCube didn't fail because they were trying to compete against Sony and Microsoft, they failed because Nintendo made stupid decisions with those consoles, like sticking with cartridges and using mini-DVDs. A Nintendo console on par with the PS5 and Xbox Series X would most likely do very well. Imagine a Nintendo console with amazing first party AND third party games, and having Mario and Zelda in 4k and 60 FPS.

Nintendo didn't HAVE to make a console/handheld hybrid. All they had to do was make a console on par with the PS5 and Series X in power, not make a stupid decision with the hardware like they did with the N64 and GameCube, and make it easy to develop for, and that console would get third party support, which means more sales. It's actually really simple to make a console that sells well. If I can figure this out, why can't a multi-billion dollar company like Nintendo?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The console/handheld hybrid has been super successful for Nintendo. I want them to make it better with their next console. Take some ideas from the Steam Deck.

Amazing Member

The Switch is only a few million units shy of surpassing lifetime PS4 sales numbers. The lack of powerful hardware doesn't seem to be hurting their bottom line much.

The Thing is Nintendo doesnt need to make a power Console to compete. And the markets for the PS4/Xbox Crowd are not the same as the Switch Crowd.

Nintendo has a lot of first party family games Like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Smash, Mario Party Etc... That really appeal to the casual pick up and go gamer or the games with kids crowd. If people want some more advanced play they do have Breath of the Wild and a few other more adult more challenging games.

People are not Buying Switch for hardcore FPS and sports games. And the handheld/tv model is an amazing success. And by being the less advanced game console they did not have problems putting a Switch/Switch Lite on the shelves when PS4/5 and Xbox were having supply issues.

To be honest Nintendo is doing pretty well by not competing and I think being under the radar in the Console Wars let them kind of do their own thing and put out stuff without a lot of hype and pressure.

I have a Switch (Normal not OLED) and a PS4. And I play my Switch 3 times as often as I do my PS4.
    Last edited by babyblob; 08-22-2022 at 04:27 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I don't think Xbox belongs in the powerful console talk anymore as their business as shift towards game pass and making that the backbone of their business. Xbox live and xcloud have been consolidated into Game Pass, There's a PC version of it and Microsoft are working on deals with TV manufactures to get the service built into TVs, working on a chromecast like dongle for it. The Xbox console will just be a dedicated device for game pass for those who want it.

The Wii outsold the PS3 and X-Box 360. The Switch is one of the highest selling game consoles of all time.

Nintendo is fine.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

All-New Member

Lol! Nintendo is powerful. Compare with Xbox and PS, Nintendo is much better.

I think the X-Box and Playstation have the "powerful" consoles market segment covered, Nintendo have created a niche market segment for themselves and have been thriving on it - families, younger gamers, casual gamers, portable gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    I think the X-Box and Playstation have the "powerful" consoles market segment covered, Nintendo have created a niche market segment for themselves and have been thriving on it - families, younger gamers, casual gamers, portable gamers.
    This Nintendo has proven they do not need the so called "True gamer, hardcore gamer crowd." To be a hit. They are killing it and dont need to change things up. I have a PS4 and a Switch and I play my Switch more then my PS4. in fact I would not have gotten a PS4 if not for the fact I got it from a friend on the cheap.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

id like more of their stuff to get ported to PC myself. like sony has started to do

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    This Nintendo has proven they do not need the so called "True gamer, hardcore gamer crowd." To be a hit. They are killing it and dont need to change things up. I have a PS4 and a Switch and I play my Switch more then my PS4. in fact I would not have gotten a PS4 if not for the fact I got it from a friend on the cheap.
    Actually, on that note, I know a lot of people who own both a Playstation and a Switch or an X-Box and a Switch - I don't know anyone who owns a Playstation and an X-Box

I'm not a Nintendo guy, but they're clearly doing extremely well for themselves

Actually, on that note, I know a lot of people who own both a Playstation and a Switch or an X-Box and a Switch - I don't know anyone who owns a Playstation and an X-Box

Most next gen people are split between one or the other. South Park did an hour and a half episode about it in fact.

I have a PS5, Switch and a PC. That's the best combo for someone who wants every game available to them. Though I haven't had much use for my switch after finishing Shin Megami Tensei 5

Extraordinary Member

I'm thinking of getting a switch do miss playing Mario games. It's been a loooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a switch do miss playing Mario games. It's been a loooong time.
    Mario Odyssey is a lot of fun. And if you can find the 3D All Star pack you get Mario 64, Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy. Then you Have Mario Maker 2, New Mario Deluxe U. It is a blast.